News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#3166 Post by Waewick » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:56 am

monotonehell wrote:
City to trial free motorbike and scooter parking on footpaths...
As long as this doesn't further clutter the footpaths.
isn't that the point of a trial

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3167 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:46 am

Waewick wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
City to trial free motorbike and scooter parking on footpaths...
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#3168 Post by Waewick » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:18 am

monotonehell wrote:
Waewick wrote:
monotonehell wrote: As long as this doesn't further clutter the footpaths.
I feel a loop coming.

Isn't that the point of a trial.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3169 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:32 pm

Waewick wrote:I feel a loop coming.
LOL ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#3170 Post by Phantom » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:39 am

Oh dear! Waewick's stuck in an infinite loop and Monotone's an idiot...

"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Vee
Legendary Member!

#3171 Post by Vee » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:27 am

Australia's greenest city: Adelaide pulls ahead of Sydney and Melbourne
Across the nation, city councils are tackling climate change at a grassroots level, with green buildings, electric transport and ambitious emissions targets.
It outlines various useful action plans, targets and worthy initiatives of Australian capital city councils but gives Adelaide and SA an extra bouquet for the partnership between the ACC and State government and ... the moniker of "Australia's greenest city", reflecting the aim and progression towards becoming the world's first carbon neutral city.
"... if serious about reducing your greenhouse footprint, you should be doing everything you possibly can to achieve that."
To meet the targets, cities will have to work with their state governments to ensure that the policies and incentives are in place. This is where Adelaide really stands out.

Last year, Adelaide City Council and the government of South Australia announced that they were working in partnership to make the state capital the “world’s first carbon neutral city” (or at least by 2025). According to a spokesman, Adelaide City Council allocates 1% of total rates to its Climate Change Action Initiatives Fund annually.
In 2015/16 this is $932,000.
This (post COP21) comment from Lord Mayor, Haese highlighted ....
“One of the things I noticed while in Paris at COP21 in December 2015, was the uniqueness of the partnership we have here in Adelaide between the city council and the state government,” says Adelaide’s lord mayor, Martin Haese.

“Effective collaboration between the city and the state is essential for real progress.”
The Guardian:
http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable- ... -melbourne

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3172 Post by mshagg » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:43 am

Lol, went to use the new 2 wheeler parking on Victoria Square this morning - I usually walk to work but thought I'd throw some support behind the trial by using it. Council worker looked at me as I pulled up "Nah not today mate".

Great idea (although as far as pilot's go it's pretty crappy - guessing they had a real hard time getting it through), but I wont bother again.

Hopefully the limited locations (and seemingly arbitrary days when it's available?) arent reflected in poor outcomes of the trial.

Llessur2002

#3173 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:53 am

Hang on, you mean it wasn't finished yet or it wasn't operating today?

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3174 Post by mshagg » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:58 am

Llessur2002 wrote:Hang on, you mean it wasn't finished yet or it wasn't operating today?
Not sure, that was the extent of the advice I was given. I saw a few parked there yesterday which was why I thought I'd give it a try today.

Not sure what would need to be finished. It's footpath parking, after all.

Llessur2002

#3175 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:15 am

mshagg wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:Hang on, you mean it wasn't finished yet or it wasn't operating today?
Not sure, that was the extent of the advice I was given. I saw a few parked there yesterday which was why I thought I'd give it a try today.

Weird.

Just wondered if there was marking/signage etc that had to be completed - or is it literally just a 'leave it anywhere on the footpath' affair?

What was the Council worker doing?

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3176 Post by mshagg » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:35 am

Just three guys talking amongst themselves. They did have a truck with them so I assume they did have a task to complete.

Again though, not sure why they'd need to mark lines. That's not really "footpath parking" (i.e. creating multi purpose space), that's creating new parking-exclusive spaces. A few signs would likely suffice (I might have suggested they install them prior to declaring the spaces available lol).

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3177 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:32 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
mshagg wrote:

Weird.

Just wondered if there was marking/signage etc that had to be completed - or is it literally just a 'leave it anywhere on the footpath' affair?

What was the Council worker doing?
Probably holding on to the space for himself, for his 'smoko'

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#3178 Post by obituary resider » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:56 pm

They wouldve been marking out the space today with subtle stainless steel studs (and chalk). There were bikes parked there later on in the day and it should be fine to use from tomorrow. Disappointing that the council workers didnt fully explain any of this or what they were doing though.

Llessur2002

#3179 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:06 pm

Council flags upgrades for Grenfell St, Central Market Arcade, laneways

Big changes are coming to Adelaide's CBD.

The Adelaide City Council’s draft strategic plan, released today, slates redevelopments for the Adelaide Central Market Arcade, Grenfell and Currie Streets and the CBD’s laneways, among other projects by 2020.

Lord Mayor Martin Haese said several major upgrades to city infrastructure flagged in the document were “urgent”.
Grenfell, Currie streets

Among them was an overhaul of Grenfell and Currie Streets, in preparation for or adaptation to the extra buses that would be using the road once the new O-Bahn is complete.

“When the O-Bahn system is done it’s going to lift the number of buses [using the street] by 30 per cent,” said Haese.

“It’s a fairly intensely trafficked road already.

“The road surface barely copes – there needs to be work done there.”

The draft strategic plan says the East-West roadway could become a “public transport boulevard”.

“We’re in discussions with [the State] Government” about the roadway, said Haese, however, “there’s no design at this point in time”.

City council CEO Mark Goldstone told InDaily the council was researching surface treatments used around Australia that could help Grenfell Street cope with the increased traffic.

Haese said that while there needed to be a redevelopment of the street, nearby car parks meant closing the East-West thoroughfare to cars – originally proposed by then Thinker in Residence Fred Hansen – would be impractical.
Central Market Arcade

A master plan for the central market arcade will be completed by 2017 and redevelopments will begin by 2019, according to the draft plan.

The arcade’s lease ends in 2018, and businesses and traders will be looking to the council, which owns the building, for what happens next.

Haese calls the redevelopment a “once in a 100-year opportunity”, with potential for a multi-storey development.

What council decides to do with the area may also affect the future of the Sir Samuel Way courts building, and will be a key consideration for an overhaul of Victoria Square.
Laneways

The draft strategic plan stresses the importance of the laneways that connect the Adelaide Railway Station to the Central Market, and the laneways that emanate from Rundle Mall – especially Gawler Place.

The Adelaide Railway Station to Adelaide Central Market link and Rundle Mall laneways, including Gawler Place are “priorities for completion by 2018”.

Haese told InDaily that there was “great potential” for Gawler Place to become a “piazza” with restaurants, outdoor dining, and upgraded pedestrian access.

He said elements of the 20-year Rundle Mall Master Plan, including the Gawler Place upgrades, could be expedited.

The grand plans are not set in stone – the draft strategic plan will be considered by the council next Tuesday before being put out for public consultation.
http://indaily.com.au/news/2016/02/19/c ... -laneways/

claybro

#3180 Post by claybro » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:44 pm

Great to hear Currie/Grenfell are listed for an upgrade, however Grenfell street should have an underground bus station similar to the one in Brisbane, and the soon to be completed Wellington Street in Perth. Buses are noisy, smelly and cause congestion even amongst themselves. Lines of commuters waiting in the elements along the footpaths is not ideal either. There is plenty of width for a bus portal at the Currie street end and to the east of Hindmarsh Square, still allowing for 2 lanes of thru traffic if desired.