News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#1906 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:33 am

Hoarding's starting to come off of the ground floor renovation of 1 King William Street. I don't really mind this one as far as cheap and cheerful makeovers go - something a bit different for what was a rather average looking building in the first place. Will be interesting to see what provisions for retail/cafe space have been incorporated into the design as up until now ground-floor usage has always been rather anonymous for such a high-profile corner site.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1907 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:39 am

Llessur2002 wrote:Hoarding's starting to come off of the ground floor renovation of 1 King William Street. I don't really mind this one as far as cheap and cheerful makeovers go - something a bit different for what was a rather average looking building in the first place. Will be interesting to see what provisions for retail/cafe space have been incorporated into the design as up until now ground-floor usage has always been rather anonymous for such a high-profile corner site.
Isn't the ground floor space just becoming another Westpac branch?

Llessur2002

#1908 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:24 am

Westpac was already there - along with an Amex foreign exchange branch which I think has closed. Looks like Westpac has had a makeover and possibly been extended, but there were other ground floor retail tenancies previously too - a cafe, a travel agent and one or two empty units. I think the problem was, with the exception of Westpac all of the other retail units were essentially hidden inside the foyer of an office building - if you didn't work there then it would have been difficult to know that any of them were there in the first place. Hopefully this renovation will have reconfigured things slightly to give better street frontage to the ground floor retail units - especially the cafe (if it still exists)...

Waewick

#1909 Post by Waewick » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:32 am

Llessur2002 wrote:Westpac was already there - along with an Amex foreign exchange branch which I think has closed. Looks like Westpac has had a makeover and possibly been extended, but there were other ground floor retail tenancies previously too - a cafe, a travel agent and one or two empty units. I think the problem was, with the exception of Westpac all of the other retail units were essentially hidden inside the foyer of an office building - if you didn't work there then it would have been difficult to know that any of them were there in the first place. Hopefully this renovation will have reconfigured things slightly to give better street frontage to the ground floor retail units - especially the cafe (if it still exists)...
I remember it as a uncaffe, a brand which has shrunk

it was one of their better cafes too so hopefully it is still around.

Llessur2002

#1910 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:47 am

Llessur2002 wrote:a cafe, a travel agent and one or two empty units.
Actually, thinking back (it's been a while since I worked there), maybe it was just the Cafe, Westpac, Amex and the travel office? I thought there may have been another retail unit behind the travel office but maybe I've misremembered (as a politician might say).

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

#1911 Post by Bacon » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:a cafe, a travel agent and one or two empty units.
Actually, thinking back (it's been a while since I worked there), maybe it was just the Cafe, Westpac, Amex and the travel office? I thought there may have been another retail unit behind the travel office but maybe I've misremembered (as a politician might say).
The was a K-Food express on the Gresham Pl corner

Waewick

#1912 Post by Waewick » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:58 am

uploadfromtaptalk1461983194371.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1461983194371.jpg (105.95 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
they finally cleaned Harrys bar. Looks great.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1913 Post by Wayno » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:26 pm

Waewick wrote:they finally cleaned Harrys bar. Looks great.
Agreed. Somehow reminds me now of Gaudi's Casa Batllo in Barcelona
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick

#1914 Post by Waewick » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:34 pm

In a surreal sort of way I guess :D

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1915 Post by crawf » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:25 pm

That building deserves so much better, e.g. better tenants.

Llessur2002

#1916 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:55 pm

REVEALED: Latest plans for new city high school

The State Government is planning a second multi-storey building next to the Reid Building on Frome Road to accommodate its 1000-student new city high school, InDaily can reveal.

A confidential Education Department briefing, detailing the State Government’s plans for the new school, was given at Town Hall last night.

Sources who attended the closed-doors meeting have told InDaily the Government intends to construct a second building to the south of the Reid Building, within the project’s $85 million construction budget.

The building would be one storey taller than the existing six-storey building, with an atrium in the centre joining the two.

The Reid Building itself would be stripped back to its main structures with a significant rebuild of the outer structures in the works, the meeting was told.

Preliminary designs and drawings of the buildings, presented by department officials to the meeting, were described as looking like two “uneven boxes” with an atrium at the centre and an “expressive façade”, and one of the buildings will feature bicycle parking in its basement.

The designs would more than double the built floorspace of the new city school.

The Government would not release the drawings or designs it presented to the meeting.

The plans involves zero on-site car parking and no extra on-street parking on Frome Road, which only features two driving lanes.

Transportation of students to and from the school would, instead, rely heavily on public transport and cycling.

RAA senior manager for road safety Charles Mountain told InDaily it was reasonable to a school so close to the CBD to rely mostly on public transport, walking and cycling for student transport, but some provision would still need to be made for pick-up and drop-off using cars.

“There would still need to be some provision for whom those [non-car] options are not appropriate,” including people with impaired mobility, he said.

“[But] hopefully most of the students would walk, cycle or use public transport.”

Mountain said there was currently limited off-peak parking on Frome Road.

The Government said the plans it presented to the council last night were “conceptual” and would neither confirm or deny any details.

“We appreciate there is strong interest in our new city school,” the Department for Education and Child Development’s executive director for infrastructure Ross Treadwell said in a statement to InDaily.

“We are still in the design phase of the project and look forward to revealing our new city school’s plans soon.”

The construction plans also include a ground-level gymnasium, attached to the eastern side of one of the buildings.

However, InDaily has been told this would be the only sporting facility on the site.

The Government is continuing negotiations with the University of Adelaide about the shared use of its sports fields, last night’s meeting was told.

A university spokesperson said early last year that while sports grounds are sometimes made available to other groups, “availability is limited”.
http://indaily.com.au/news/2016/05/11/r ... gh-school/

Patrick_27

#1917 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:13 am

The Government is continuing negotiations with the University of Adelaide about the shared use of its sports fields, last night’s meeting was told.

A university spokesperson said early last year that while sports grounds are sometimes made available to other groups, “availability is limited”.
Who the f**k owns the parklands? Certainly not the Uni.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#1918 Post by phenom » Thu May 12, 2016 11:39 am

Patrick_27 wrote:

Who the f**k owns the parklands? Certainly not the Uni.
As far as I'm aware the ACC owns the land but has license deals with various educational institutions for certain areas - however I thought these were renewed annually so it would surely be easy to simply make sharing sports fields part of the conditions for the next renewal.

Of course, there are politics involved here and I suspect the ACC (and State Govt) would be wary of annoying such a major investor/landholder/employer within the ACC area.

crowdoc
Gold-Member ;)

#1919 Post by crowdoc » Thu May 12, 2016 1:43 pm

Maybe they could build sports facilities on some of the old RAH site.

Nathan

#1920 Post by Nathan » Thu May 12, 2016 2:28 pm

Re: sports fields for the school. Why not just structure the classes so that sports related classes/activities are done at the existing campus?