[COM] Renaissance Arcade | 132m | 40 Levels | Realm Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Mants
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Renaissance Arcade | 132m | 40lvls | Realm Apartments

#211 Post by Mants » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:23 am

Jaymz wrote:
Dvious wrote:Great video. I just hope this, Sofitel, Frome and Echelon go ahead!

Indeed!! And not forgetting Kodo. Could possibly be 5 x 100 metre+ building going up within a 2 year period!! Unchartered waters for 'lil ol' Radelaide 8)
6 actually because Echelon has two towers :wink:

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#212 Post by slenderman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:05 pm

- Frome Central
- Realm Adelaide
- Echelon x2
- Sofitel/Luminesque
- Festival Plaza Tower
- Kodo
- Park Hotel (we haven't heard much on that for a while, but the same could be said for Eclipse/Realm until recently so you never know)

So counting Echelon as two buildings and assuming nothing else we don't know of yet is proposed/built, that makes eight 100m+ buildings that could go up in the coming years. In the admittedly unlikely event that all of them go ahead, that would almost quadruple the number of 100m+ buildings we currently have. It's been said a billion times, but that would do a lot to make the skyline much more respectable for a city of Adelaide's size.

Personally I'm most eager to see this one and Sofitel go ahead, and on a smaller scale, I'd also love to see 211-215 South Terrace go ahead.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#213 Post by how good is he » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:29 pm

My guess is only 2 are ready (Festival Tower and Kodo). I think the rest including many others to come are going to be relying on enough pre-sales first to get finance/begin construction. 2017 could be a watershed year, the REA chief economist Nerida Conisbee has said an "eye-watering" 18,000 apartments will be completed in Melbourne and 10,000 in Brisbane in 2017. Anyone know/want to guess how many apartments are planned for Adelaide in the coming year/s?

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#214 Post by Jaymz » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:47 pm

Well said Slenderman. Yep, even 3 or 4 new 100 metre+ buildings would help change perceptions of Adelaide, and put us back at the big kids table for the first time in 30 years 8)

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#215 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:56 pm

Jaymz wrote:Well said Slenderman. Yep, even 3 or 4 new 100 metre+ buildings would help change perceptions of Adelaide, and put us back at the big kids table for the first time in 30 years 8)
These are the kind of comments that really piss me off, do you honestly believe that the piss-ant/small-town perception that Adelaide has with those from interstate comes from our city's lack of 100m+ buildings? It has nothing to do with it, in-fact these buildings would be more likely to pop up if our state got its shit together economically speaking (which is where the real problem lies).

On the matter of these large scale developments, a lot of the issues plaguing progress are caused by the head-butting from the opposite extremes: those who are anti any kind of progress (a lot of whom read The Advertiser) and those who are so much in-favour of progress that they'll sacrifice quality for quantity (a number of whom contribute to this website). By all means, get excited about the better developments happening in this city, but let's stop pretending that shit isn't shit and that these high-rises are going to do anything more than fulfil the desires of those who are pro-development. The average person visiting Adelaide or looking at pictures of Adelaide isn't going to look at our skyline and say: "Oh wow, a tall building! That's it, I'm sold."

Patrick_27

#216 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:59 pm

I don't mean for that to come across as a personal attack, but when you come onto these forums hoping to find something relevant to discuss and people are here fawning over the number of 100m+ buildings in Adelaide, it kind of defeats the purpose of this forum.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#217 Post by Jaymz » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:I don't mean for that to come across as a personal attack, but when you come onto these forums hoping to find something relevant to discuss and people are here fawning over the number of 100m+ buildings in Adelaide, it kind of defeats the purpose of this forum.

Well Patrick, I live in the CBD and take interest in what is happening around here. But at the end of the day i'm a skyscraper enthusiast, nothing more, nothing less.

A few decent taller buildings around here might even help locals perceive their city differently too, instead of actually believing they live in some sort of backwater. Confidence is a powerful thing, something this state has been sadly lacking for decades now.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#218 Post by timtam20292 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:25 pm

A lot of us that live in the city share these feelings about tall buildings hey Jaymz :) and the majority of people on this forum share these feelings too but obviously not everyone.

claybro

#219 Post by claybro » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:52 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:These are the kind of comments that really piss me off, do you honestly believe that the piss-ant/small-town perception that Adelaide has with those from interstate comes from our city's lack of 100m+ buildings?
Partly yes. All Australian mainland capitals now have multiple buildings exceeding 100M and it is what Australians expect to see in a major progressive city. Driving in to Adelaide CBD from the airport really is like arriving in a large country town.That and SA's apparent lack of ability to keep the lights on, and it is sometimes difficult as an expat to defend my home town. Those who actually bother to go over for the footy or whatever, do come back with a much more positive point of view as its what's on the ground that is important. Like said often though, a few strategically placed taller towers with decent architecture would definitely change the perception for the better.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#220 Post by rev » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:59 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:I don't mean for that to come across as a personal attack, but when you come onto these forums hoping to find something relevant to discuss and people are here fawning over the number of 100m+ buildings in Adelaide, it kind of defeats the purpose of this forum.
With all due respect I think you're wrong on this, I don't think it's a problem that people are excited about the potential changes to our skyline. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we have ever had this many 100m+ proposals at the same time in Adelaide before.

Market forces aside, I don't see why al of these proposals Jaymz listed cant go ahead, and more to follow.
My only hope and wish is that we get towers that will be instantly recognisable as "that's Adelaide".
We need a few towers to define or distinguish our skyline the same way that the westpac tower has done for so many decades now.

I think you're wrong about people's perceptions not being affected by the way a city looks especially its skyline.
When people fly in they see our skyline. For business people and business confidence but also return interstate visitors/tourists, seeing an evolving and growing skyline is a good thing imo. It gives people a sense of confidence about the place.

ghs

#221 Post by ghs » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:14 pm

In that video, Callum Fraser states that this building will be the tallest in the state. You could argue
that the Port Pirie Smelter (205m) will still be the tallest in the state.

Algernon

#222 Post by Algernon » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:44 pm

This forum spawned from a place called skyscrapercity. Fawning over skyscrapers is the purpose of the forum.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#223 Post by AG » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:56 pm

ghs wrote:In that video, Callum Fraser states that this building will be the tallest in the state. You could argue
that the Port Pirie Smelter (205m) will still be the tallest in the state.
Tallest structure, yes, but not a building. I don't think anyone could inhabit the smoke stack that towers over the Port Pirie Smelter.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Renaissance Arcade | 132m | 40lvls | Realm Apartments

#224 Post by thecityguy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:06 pm

Tall buildings absolutely change people's perceptions of a city. Suggesting otherwise is stupid.

Also loving the video, very nicely done, haven't seen a promotional video of that quality for an Adelaide apartment before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

serca
High Rise Poster!

#225 Post by serca » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:32 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Jaymz wrote:Well said Slenderman. Yep, even 3 or 4 new 100 metre+ buildings would help change perceptions of Adelaide, and put us back at the big kids table for the first time in 30 years 8)
These are the kind of comments that really piss me off, do you honestly believe that the piss-ant/small-town perception that Adelaide has with those from interstate comes from our city's lack of 100m+ buildings? It has nothing to do with it, in-fact these buildings would be more likely to pop up if our state got its shit together economically speaking (which is where the real problem lies).

On the matter of these large scale developments, a lot of the issues plaguing progress are caused by the head-butting from the opposite extremes: those who are anti any kind of progress (a lot of whom read The Advertiser) and those who are so much in-favour of progress that they'll sacrifice quality for quantity (a number of whom contribute to this website). By all means, get excited about the better developments happening in this city, but let's stop pretending that shit isn't shit and that these high-rises are going to do anything more than fulfil the desires of those who are pro-development. The average person visiting Adelaide or looking at pictures of Adelaide isn't going to look at our skyline and say: "Oh wow, a tall building! That's it, I'm sold."
Mate you keep having a crack at anyone excited at any 100m+ proposal

These are not large scale developments. By Adelaide standards yes but by most major cities world wide , no not even close.

A skyline is very much a physical reflection of any cities economy and will effect peoples perception. The larger the buildings the more employment both indirectly and directly from construction to hotel staff on completion etc. This is an important cycle for the stimulus of any economy and as a result peoples perception of that city. These larger structures also bring more people into the CBD creating energy and vibrancy again having an impact on peoples perception. Also larger private investment has a knock on effect in the business world as we see recently with hotel proposals.

If a city looks dated and stagnant then will who would want to holiday or move here and invest here?

The Mayfair Hotel is my favourite building in the city, along with the art gallery, and many other historic buildings. Im not saying redevelop any of those but you seem so hell bent on preserving almost any existing structure. People don't visit Adelaide for its historic buildings. In fact why would they visit any where in Australia for that matter when they can go to Europe, Asia , almost any other continent and experience proper historic culture with many buildings / entire cities 400+ years old. Peoples perception of Australian cities is the new, fresh modern civilisation. Adelaide CBD lags in this and isn't consistent with other Aus cities.

This is also a CBD. I don't get why your almost anti any change in a CBD? Adelaide still has all the world class wine regions, Beaches and other cultural attractions but let a CBD be a CBD and develop. If that doesn't sit well with you in a "development" forum maybe you can join the Parkland conservation forum or Anne Moran fan club for herbal tea and scones in a 1880's villa in North Adelaide