News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Kasey771
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway Revitalisation Projects

#226 Post by Kasey771 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks for your replies Llessur2002, there's lots of interesting things there for the ACC to be 'inspired' by.

One can only hope they take a look around and don't just try to make every part of the Riverbank to Market pathway a carbon copy of what is already there, because as I've said before, I think the further you get away from Hindley Street, the harder it will be to activate a laneway with the Leigh/Peel street formula of small bars. That's why I though restaurants particularly adjacent to the Markets might work better and quicker.
I feel it has to work almost immediately. there cant be too long of a run up period...We're proposing to close of streets to vehicular traffic. If ACC dont get it right, they'll be bullied by the car lobby to return the street to through traffic and I don't want to see that. I think this Riverbank to Market project has the potential to be something truly great for Adelaide.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#227 Post by mshagg » Wed May 31, 2017 2:43 pm

Yes the Pitt Street carpark, along with being the single most revolting building in town, presents a problem for any legitimate attempt to active Pitt Street. Altering the entrance point for the carpark seems challenging given they're solid concrete ramps, although you could perhaps facilitate a narrow drive way on one half of Pitt St between the entrance and franklin st and close the rest of the street off.

My preferred option for that site would be to evacuate the Korean BBQ and implode the entire structure.

I'm unsure to what extent the uniting communities development needs access to pitt st.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#228 Post by Mants » Wed May 31, 2017 10:45 pm

mshagg wrote: you could perhaps facilitate a narrow drive way on one half of Pitt St between the entrance and franklin st and close the rest of the street off.
Uniting Communities (the current offices, not the new development) has access to its basement carpark via a roller door on the eastern side of Pitt St. There is also stage access to HMT on the western side of the street.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#229 Post by Norman » Wed May 31, 2017 10:56 pm

Mants wrote:
mshagg wrote: you could perhaps facilitate a narrow drive way on one half of Pitt St between the entrance and franklin st and close the rest of the street off.
Uniting Communities (the current offices, not the new development) has access to its basement carpark via a roller door on the eastern side of Pitt St. There is also stage access to HMT on the western side of the street.
Isn't access to the site provided through Penaluna Place?

Mants
Legendary Member!

#230 Post by Mants » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:50 am

Norman wrote:
Mants wrote:
Isn't access to the site provided through Penaluna Place?
The current offices can only be accessed via Pitt Street afaik. There is definitely only one vehicle entrance to the basement though.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#231 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:00 am

Mants wrote:The current offices can only be accessed via Pitt Street afaik. There is definitely only one vehicle entrance to the basement though.
You're right, I was thinking of the new building. My bad.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#232 Post by mshagg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:34 am

Mants wrote:
Well then. There'll be no street activation. I'll tell the children.

All we need now is council to put some traffic lights in to stop pedestrians from walking down the street whilst cars alight from the car park!

Uncle Monty
High Rise Poster!

#233 Post by Uncle Monty » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:59 am

Work is due to commence tomorrow (Tues 06 June) on installation of footings for the 'Sensing with Light' artwork in Topham Mall. The Sensing with Light installation will have two illuminated stainless steel and glass towers, each almost 3m tall, with LED strips and sensors to pick up movement and touch.

Sounds interesting!

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#234 Post by dbl96 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:42 am

Why is it that the Adelaide City Council still can't get it's act together and decently pave their footpaths? Most suburban councils now have programs to replace scrappy asphalt footpaths with attractive paved ones. Yet Adelaide City Council, the most prominent council area for tourists and for the general public, still paves new footpaths, like on Hindley Street, with asphalt. It makes the city look a lot less neat and attractive.

metro
Legendary Member!

#235 Post by metro » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Adelaide City Council isn't alone with the asphalt footpath thing..

Sydney (right near the QVB in the heart of the CBD, where lots of tourists walk down to Darling Hbr):
https://goo.gl/maps/8CvT3WWf3f92

Melbourne (across the road from Southern Cross Station)
https://goo.gl/maps/16DDXktECHL2

Brisbane (next to Parliament)
https://goo.gl/maps/gZRUJhfpu9m

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#236 Post by obituary resider » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:13 pm

dbl96 wrote:Why is it that the Adelaide City Council still can't get it's act together and decently pave their footpaths? Most suburban councils now have programs to replace scrappy asphalt footpaths with attractive paved ones. Yet Adelaide City Council, the most prominent council area for tourists and for the general public, still paves new footpaths, like on Hindley Street, with asphalt. It makes the city look a lot less neat and attractive.
Asphalt seems to be the alternative 'budget surface' option to the large white flagstone pavers. I personally much prefer the asphalt. The flags are bright, icky, off white and stain very easy with gum and what not. While the asphalt is certainly budget, its a lot more understated and simple and can look ok if its finished off with some really nice charcoal kerbs (like in the Melbourne photo)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#237 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:06 pm

obituary resider wrote:
dbl96 wrote:Why is it that the Adelaide City Council still can't get it's act together and decently pave their footpaths? Most suburban councils now have programs to replace scrappy asphalt footpaths with attractive paved ones. Yet Adelaide City Council, the most prominent council area for tourists and for the general public, still paves new footpaths, like on Hindley Street, with asphalt. It makes the city look a lot less neat and attractive.
Asphalt seems to be the alternative 'budget surface' option to the large white flagstone pavers. I personally much prefer the asphalt. The flags are bright, icky, off white and stain very easy with gum and what not. While the asphalt is certainly budget, its a lot more understated and simple and can look ok if its finished off with some really nice charcoal kerbs (like in the Melbourne photo)
I prefer it aswell. I find the white flagstone pavers quite ugly and cheap, especially when majority of city footpaths are not well maintained. Good example of that is Currie/Grenfell and Waymouth/Pirie Streets. The Adelaide CBD on a whole needs better footpaths and lots of greenery.

mgb
High Rise Poster!

#238 Post by mgb » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:58 pm

crawf wrote: The Adelaide CBD on a whole needs better footpaths and lots of greenery.
Absolutely agree on the greenery part. The council in general do a good part I think with plantings etc but really lack in the trees for shade idea along some of our major roads.

While not a problem at this time of year during summer I find walking across from one side of the city to the other (which I do a bit east/west) it is not as pleasant as it could be with a lot more shade from larger trees on on the foot path.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#239 Post by SRW » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:44 am

My problem with street trees in the city is that they don't appear to consistently maintained. Some are butchered while others are not pruned at all. The planes on North Terrace are a good example, especially given they were a boulevard planting. The council needs a full time arborist on staff.

But yes, better footpaths please! Although Melbourne has sections of asphalt paving, in general the city centre is commonly well-paved with bluestone. I remember once upon a time seeing a master plan or manual of style for Adelaide that determined the hierarchy of streets and their corresponding furnishings. I can't remember if that went to the detail of paving, but it should do and should also form a plan of works.
Keep Adelaide Weird

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#240 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:42 am

Councils everywhere can't win even when they try harder...

ACC installed brand new flag paving down Union Street, only to have the contractors who resealed the road drive their heavy machinery all over it, cracking it to pieces.
ACC installed the grey concrete with stone inserts down Rundle Street, only to have gas and other services dig trenches through it. Then replace the sections with mismatched coloured concrete.
Generally whenever they resurface a footpath with bitchumen, trenches are dug and then roughly patched, later the patches sink and water gets under, causing an uneven surface.
Same with pavers. Workmen lift the area they need to get under and then replace them, causing a lowered area and uneven surfaces.

Maybe it's time to think about some kind of paneled sections, that sit on a bed, which can be lifted as whole pieces and replaced once work under them is completed?

And don't get me started on where councils install a nice, wide, flat footpath and then all the street signs are then placed a car door's length into the footpath and we end up with a single person wide footpath. Can street signs can go in the middle of the road. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.