Do you support the Football Park alcohol ban?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Do you support the football park Alcohol ban?

yes
29%
no
71%

Total votes: 14

Cruise
Banned
Banned

Do you support the Football Park alcohol ban?

#1 Post by Cruise » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:42 am

What does every one think about the Football park alcohol ban?
do you think having no alcohol in the arena creates a better atmosphere for families?
or do hate the fact you have to slam a beer down at quarter time?

personally i would love to drink in the arena, maybe have sections that are dry and others are not or something like that.
The SANFL would make more money if they got rid the the no alcohol rule as well.
Also i hate when people say they wont go to the game because you cant drink in there, so removing the rule could see larger crowds at Port Adelaide games.
I am a season ticket holder and member of the Power and would love to see them get larger crowds and anything they can do to make this happen would be a good thing.

What are your thoughts?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Do you support the Football Park alcohol ban?

#2 Post by Norman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:01 pm

People are gonna find ways to smuggle in alcohol no matter what.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3 Post by rev » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:22 pm

Yes. Less drunks who 1) dont know when to stop drinking and 2) dont know when to keep their mouths shut, is better for everyone.
Lots of people are evicted every game, most are from alcohol related incidents.

They have bars inside the ground, were people just sit and drink for four hours watching the game on a tv. Not even 50m out of the gate, they have those vans selling alcohol too.

Its all about the $$$.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by jk1237 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:02 pm

I agree cruise control, theres no reason why every other ground lets them drink beer at their seats, but not AAMI. I'm also a season ticket holder for Port. Im hardly a feral, but i used to love the atmosphere of SANFL matches at Football Park when I was about 10-15 years old, when all the classic Port supporters were pissed as farts by half time and smoking like a train. It was great even with crowds of 10,000. I dont smoke myself, but I didnt mind the smell (except when your at your seats). Its just so sterile now, yeah we need to make it attractive to families, but its the old hardcore Port supporters that make the atmosphere.
Are you going Friday night?
By the way, I dont know if you have noticed that Subiaco Oval and the Docklands are almost full to the brim each week, whereas even Crows games always have 7000-8000 that dont show up. I put the reason solely on transport to Football Park. Subiaco and the T dome are serviced by trains, and a whopping proportion use them to get to game. Its quick and efficient. Football Park games take up about 5-6 hours of a day because of car parking/driving, and the boring old bus is hardly gonna attract people. Build the spur rail line from Albert Park to West Lakes! Get the feds to give us some money

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by Norman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:17 pm

But would our old diesels attract people to trains to the grounds? I say we electrify, then expand, but that's a different topic altogether.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:45 pm

jk1237, AAMI Stadium is bigger than Subiaco Oval.

Adelaide usually gets more spectators, than Perth.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by jk1237 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:47 pm

Im not sure that in terms of passenger comfort, our trains are any different from any electric trains. Electric trains are good for running costs (i think), not necesarrily to attract people. Our problem is the overall condition of stations and appearance of the network in terms of attracting passengers. Also some see-thru windows would be good. But yes a revamp including electrification would no doubt be better than now

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by jk1237 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:55 pm

crawf wrote:jk1237, AAMI Stadium is bigger than Subiaco Oval.

Yeah AAMI Stadium is larger, but is rarely filled to capacity. West Coast games almost fill within a few hundred of Subiaco's 43,000. Crows games rarely fill within 7000 of AAMI's 50,000, despite being sold out. Something is making people to not bother turning up, and I reckon its due to transport and AAMI's location. Not sure about Subiaco exactly, but aparently 80% of T dome supporters come by train, same with the new rugby stadium in Brisbane. Perth is probably close too.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by Bulldozer » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:20 pm

The Gabba has drinking and alcohol free zones around the ground. You pay more to be able to sit in a boozer zone, and it's great to be able to watch the game with a coldie in one of those dinky plastic cups. AFL is too sanitised these days though. I blame the maggots for getting in the way, constantly changing "interpretations" of the rules and being general fairies. That being said, I did take a couple of Irish guys I work with to the footy - they'd never really liked it when seeing it on TV, but they had an absolute ball watching it for real because they thought the atmosphere was great and they couldn't believe you could drink in the grounds! I guess that's because we don't have soccer hooligans :)

As for Footy Park, SANFL have always been a bunch of stupid old wankers. I can remember one of the redcoats telling me off when I was a kid at an Eagles game for waving my scarfe in front of the advertising they have around the front of the ground. And what's with the members section never doing the wave?

Gimme local footy, where I can park my car around the oval and honk my horn when my team kicks a goal. Where I can stand out the front of the clubrooms with a cup of hot chips from the canteen and a full-strength beer from the bar or my esky and yell profanity at the opposition and the maggots! Oh, and where the players are hard!

Mants
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Mants » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:16 pm

crawf wrote:jk1237, AAMI Stadium is bigger than Subiaco Oval.

id rather watch west coast play at subi than either of adelaide's teams playing at AAMI.

how did port end up 2nd. bloody fluke!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#11 Post by Cruise » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:00 am

jk1237 wrote:
Are you going Friday night?
you bet, :D I already have my ticket Ive only missed two games all year so this one i had to go to see you there!

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

#12 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Who cares, its a crap venue anyway.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Pistol » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:10 pm

I went to the Collingwood Crows game at Telstra Dome on Friday night. Very nice venue for football but one of the funnier little aspects of that ground is that when they show attendance figures on the big screen, they also show the amount of 'no shows'. Maybe AAMI should start doing that as well - just highlights the amount of slack bastards that buy tickets but don't go to the game.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#14 Post by Cruise » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:01 am

Mants wrote: id rather watch west coast play at subi than either of adelaide's teams playing at AAMI.

fluke?
i suppose beating the drug addicted eagles was also a fluke?

fluke my arse

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by bmw boy » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:11 am

Cruise Control wrote:
Mants wrote: id rather watch west coast play at subi than either of adelaide's teams playing at AAMI.

fluke?
i suppose beating the drug addicted eagles was also a fluke?

fluke my arse
Any1 hear / like Dennis Commeti's comment when Cousins pulled his ham string tonight ... Ben's going in for ice lol