News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Listy
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2176 Post by Listy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:44 am

From Flightradar, the flight originated in Leipzig. I assumed it had some fancy mining equipment or spare parts for the North Terrace tramline onboard :) . Seems to have spent a few days in Baku on the way here so I hope those IFV's were thoroughly checked for listening devices and Novichok before disembarking :lol:

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#2177 Post by Splashmo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:57 pm

Singapore Airlines is planning a “major announcement” at Adelaide Airport tomorrow. Any guesses?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2178 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:02 pm

Splashmo wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:57 pm
Singapore Airlines is planning a “major announcement” at Adelaide Airport tomorrow. Any guesses?
Daily A380 flights? :P :wink:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2179 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:09 pm

I think they might change the planes to A350s

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2180 Post by Ho Really » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:33 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:09 pm
That would be nice and will give Adelaide passengers the chance to fly Premium Economy. The only downside is that you won't be able to upgrade to Business Class from Economy. You will only be able to upgrade to Premium. That's how it works with SQ.

The other annoucement could be that it won't be a A350-900 but a Boeing 787 like the one currently flying to Perth. At present if you do a dummy booking it still shows an Airbus A330-300 ADL-SIN and vice-versa (flights in October, December 2018 and January, April 2019). I'm flying out on 16 OCT and no notification of seat changes have been sent to me. So unless I get one tomorrow it might not be a plane change. Also schedule-wise no second flight besides those in January 2019 are listed. The usual every January.

Anyhow should it be an A350-900 it would mean more seats and a slightly more comfortable evening flight from Singers. The lighting is better and air quality slightly better (but not as good as the Dreamliner). However the loss of the middle four seats that are currently available on the A330 will upset a few tallies. They were great for a snooze if you could score them. The 3-3-3 layout of the A350-900 is OK if you are less than 180cm in height. Also the two seats at the window that are great for couples will be gone. We shall see.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

markleslie
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2181 Post by markleslie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:30 am

Confirmed by SQ staff. A350 coming which is great news. From December all going well. Economy seats are 18" wide vs Dreamliner economy seats 17" wide. And lie flat business class. Pity no 2nd flights though...

cammo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2182 Post by cammo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:42 am

Ho Really wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:33 pm
Norman wrote:
That would be nice and will give Adelaide passengers the chance to fly Premium Economy. The only downside is that you won't be able to upgrade to Business Class from Economy. You will only be able to upgrade to Premium. That's how it works with SQ.

The other annoucement could be that it won't be a A350-900 but a Boeing 787 like the one currently flying to Perth. At present if you do a dummy booking it still shows an Airbus A330-300 ADL-SIN and vice-versa (flights in October, December 2018 and January, April 2019). I'm flying out on 16 OCT and no notification of seat changes have been sent to me. So unless I get one tomorrow it might not be a plane change. Also schedule-wise no second flight besides those in January 2019 are listed. The usual every January.

Anyhow should it be an A350-900 it would mean more seats and a slightly more comfortable evening flight from Singers. The lighting is better and air quality slightly better (but not as good as the Dreamliner). However the loss of the middle four seats that are currently available on the A330 will upset a few tallies. They were great for a snooze if you could score them. The 3-3-3 layout of the A350-900 is OK if you are less than 180cm in height. Also the two seats at the window that are great for couples will be gone. We shall see.

Cheers
Not necessarily. SQ are about to take delivery of some lower weight, 'regionally' configured A350's with just Business & Economy. So I'm assuming Adelaide will get one of those. SQ are on the record as saying they don't believe there is a strong demand for Y+ in the Australian market.

As a frequent user of SQ out of Adelaide this is a very welcome announcement, and will be a significant upgrade in product from the existing A330 service. :banana:

(PS Long time (10+ years) lurker first time poster...)

Ho Really

#2183 Post by Ho Really » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:43 am

markleslie wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:30 am
Confirmed by SQ staff. A350 coming which is great news. From December all going well. Economy seats are 18" wide vs Dreamliner economy seats 17" wide. And lie flat business class. Pity no 2nd flights though...
It was on the cards only a matter of when. The issue with the seats on the Dreamliner is the airline's fault. Not just SQ but all those airlines that have decided to go with the 3-3-3 config. Only JAL fly the Dreamliner in its proper config of 2-4-2. Pity in that regard as the Dreamliner is a better plane. What matters most for travellers are the seats and the air they breathe. The engine noise not so much as you can block that out. The A350 is an improvement on A330 and the B777 but it could've been better.

Anyhow this will mean more seats for Adelaide. I would've preferred higher frequency than the A350-900. The second flight in the evening and the return day flight. Never know. With a newer plane it may take some pax away from its competitors.

One plus is that now you'll be able to book Premium Economy all the way to Europe to many destinations, including: Amsterdam, Barcelona, Manchester, Milan, Rome, to Germany, etc... and some destinations in Asia.

Cheers

Edit: That's if they decide to have Premium Economy as cammo said. But I think they may try it at some stage.

Ho Really

#2184 Post by Ho Really » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:03 am

cammo wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:42 am
Welcome cammo. Now that you've broken the ice don't make it your last post.

Cheers

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2185 Post by rev » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:03 am

cammo wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:42 am
Ho Really wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:33 pm
Norman wrote:

Cheers
Not necessarily. SQ are about to take delivery of some lower weight, 'regionally' configured A350's with just Business & Economy. So I'm assuming Adelaide will get one of those. SQ are on the record as saying they don't believe there is a strong demand for Y+ in the Australian market.

As a frequent user of SQ out of Adelaide this is a very welcome announcement, and will be a significant upgrade in product from the existing A330 service. :banana:

Yeaaaa another SQ fan. Welcome :banana:

Ho Really

#2186 Post by Ho Really » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:53 am

Australian Business Traveller were first to press with the A350 news. They'll have a complete round up during the day.

Cheers

Edit: Confirmed as a 'regional' offering with 40 Business Class and 263 Economy Class seats. Not the same 'long haul' configuration seen on European and some Asian bound flights. In other words not the same as what Brisbane has been offered temporarily.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#2187 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:39 pm

SUBSCRIBER ONLY
Singapore Airlines launches new Airbus in Adelaide
TRAVEL SINGAPORE Airlines says it will increase its carrying capacity to Adelaide when it launches a new aircraft in December.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business ... 61d223870c
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2188 Post by rev » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:12 pm

What a beauty.
The company this morning announced Adelaide would be the launch destination of its first Airbus A350-900, saying it boasted “unparalleled” comfort and technology.
Yeh um, what? Haven't they been flying the A350 most of this year.... :sly:

Or is this the new A350-900 ULR model that's going to start flying to Adelaide?

Ho Really

#2189 Post by Ho Really » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:26 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:12 pm
The company this morning announced Adelaide would be the launch destination of its first Airbus A350-900, saying it boasted “unparalleled” comfort and technology.
Yeh um, what? Haven't they been flying the A350 most of this year.... :sly:

Or is this the new A350-900 ULR model that's going to start flying to Adelaide?
SIA have flown the A350-900 to Australia before. At present they have a long haul configured A350-900 flying to Brissy. Ours will be the medium haul configuration with only Business and Economy Class and no Premium. The ULR will fly Singapore-Newark (USA). That too is a two class offering but Business and Premium, no Economy Class.

Cheers

Ho Really

#2190 Post by Ho Really » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:39 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:12 pm

What a beauty.
Yes rev. She's a beauty. I've flown the A350-900 to Rome, Amsterdam and from Hong Kong. Soon I'll be off again to Milan and then back from Rome in one of these and probably a few more places in 2019 still with SQ or possibly other Star Alliance carriers. The difference is the one's I have flown have all been three class with Premium Economy as well.

The A350 is more comfortable and gives the impression of more spaciousness. There's more room for handheld luggage. The lighting is much better on the eyes and the air quality and humidity better than the A330-3300 we've been used to so far and the old Boeing 777-200 that SQ used to fly here. This is due to the use of composites in the airframe. The A350-900 is also quieter. The IFE is much, much better and it uses a touch screen. You can follow the plane's trajectory from different perspectives on screen too.

Hopefully soon you'll be off in one of these on SQ and enjoying the top notch SIA service.

Cheers