[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] Re: Westfield Marion Expansion | $350m

#586 Post by Ben » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:11 am

L'occtaine is opening in November

Kookai is expanding into a bigger tenancy.

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#587 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:28 pm

I was down at Marion today and by the looks of it there has been (or there soon will be) a pretty large survey done of the Northern carpark. I didn't look too hard but it seems like the survey area covers the area bordered by Bunnings, the Cultural Centre, Diagonal Rd, the main entrance road with the roundabout and the shopping centre. This includes the area under the overhead carparks close to the Aldi entrance.

I'll keep my ear to the ground to see if I hear any news regarding the next stage of development.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

potsandpans
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#588 Post by potsandpans » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Any news on this development?

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#589 Post by adelaide transport » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:42 pm

It appears to be on hold at this stage it is not on SCentres radar.

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!

[PRO] Re: Westfield Marion (Extension)

#590 Post by Spurdo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:23 pm

Development No: 100/E103/18
Description: Alterations and additions to existing Westfield Marion Shopping Centre comprising additional retail floor space at ground level, entertainment and lifestyle precinct at Levels 1 & 2, four level mezzanine car park structure, modification to vehicular access points and removal of eight (8) regulated trees as well as associated landscaping, signage and way-finding treatments.
Lodged: 25/11/2018
Application Type: SCAP- $3m Coordinator General
Council: City of Marion

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#591 Post by Ben » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:24 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bring this on!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#592 Post by crawf » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:34 pm

About time!!!!

nath199
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#593 Post by nath199 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:48 am

Wowsa!

4 level carpark
Ent. and lifestyle precinct - surely one similar to TTP's?

Spurdo where do you see these development application updates?

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#594 Post by claybro » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:35 pm

You have to question the Marion council here. State Government have spent hundreds of millions on the State Swim centre, and the Oaklands station precinct. Westfield another few hundred million on what is virtually a mini CBD. Where is their strategic plan for this area? What about relocation of the council offices? What about an integrated transport zone to better connect buses with the station precinct? What about high density urban environments between the shopping centre and the station. Shared use precinct? Education precinct? Walkable neighborhoods? ....Lazy lazy stuff. No wonder we cant get Adelaide people out of their cars.

[Shuz]

#595 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Marion does have a very big and diverse constituency of about 100,000 residents. I think they're doing well for what a council should focus on, that is rates, roads, rubbish and parks maintenance. They're busy with a number of smaller scale projects and improvements that are to the benefit of local residents. It's the State Government at fault for not doing more themselves, or at least partner with Council, and giving the area the resources, staffing and money it needs to develop a proper strategic plan. Oaklands Station redevelopment is a great start, but that momentum needs to continue once the project is completed. I think more needs to be done to influence Westfield and businesses to expand their base and initiate new developments closer to the station than Sturt Road, which historically where the focus has been in recent decades.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

claybro

#596 Post by claybro » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:30 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:55 pm
Marion does have a very big and diverse constituency of about 100,000 residents. I think they're doing well for what a council should focus on, that is rates, roads, rubbish and parks maintenance. They're busy with a number of smaller scale projects and improvements that are to the benefit of local residents. It's the State Government at fault for not doing more themselves, or at least partner with Council, and giving the area the resources, staffing and money it needs to develop a proper strategic plan. Oaklands Station redevelopment is a great start, but that momentum needs to continue once the project is completed. I think more needs to be done to influence Westfield and businesses to expand their base and initiate new developments closer to the station than Sturt Road, which historically where the focus has been in recent decades.
Agree partially Shuz, but it is the council that allowed all of that relatively recent low density infill development between the station and the centre proper. They have wasted a prime opportunity to allow a mixed use area to develop closer to the station. And surely the council has input with such things as entry and exit points, and bus overlays etc, that effect how the centre is used and develops over time. Strongly agree, that state governments of both persuasions in SA have been pretty useless at urban planning, with no signs of it changing with the current lot.

Nort

#597 Post by Nort » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:32 am

The integration of public transport into developments in SA is quite abysmal. Mawson Lakes is another example of planners dropping the ball when designing new town centres and major transport hubs and not connecting them.

Aidan

#598 Post by Aidan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:16 pm

claybro, the low density stuff will probably be replaced when there's a clear demand for it. Thirty years ago there was housing on the north side of the Marion Centre triangle (around where the aquatic centre now is).
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

claybro

#599 Post by claybro » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:41 pm

Aidan wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:16 pm
claybro, the low density stuff will probably be replaced when there's a clear demand for it. Thirty years ago there was housing on the north side of the Marion Centre triangle (around where the aquatic centre now is).
It's a chicken and egg thing though isn't it? Despite the perceived lack of demand for high density, the council should never have allowed low to medium density dwellings, most of which have been built in the last 15 years in such close proximity to a railway station and a major shopping centre. Surely the council and state government have a major interest to "encourage" density in such a location. They sure enough "encourage" endless sprawl on the outskirts.

nath199
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#600 Post by nath199 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:33 am

Brainstorming a list of what I think Marion is missing, would bring it up to standard with those big malls in Melbourne and Sydney.

Some of these stores in a long-talked about upcoming development would be great

H&M
JD Sports
Uniqlo
Vans
Superdry
Culture Kings
Under Armour
Sephora
Apple
Lululemon
Seed
Aesop
Scanlan Theodore
Karen Millen
Gorman
Sass and Bide
Carla Zampatti
Seafolly
Morrison
Saba
Sheike
Windsor Smith
Zimmerman
Alannah Hill
Alice Mccall
Aje
The Daily Edited
Camilla
Scotch and Soda
Rodd and Gunn
Tommy Hilfeger
MJ Bale
Jack London
Aquila
Calibre
Bronze Snake
Industrie
Ralph Lauren
Pottery Barn
Sheridan
Haighs

What are some others we think are missing from Adelaide ? Dining even?