Mad March 2019

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Mad March 2019

#31 Post by rev » Thu May 30, 2019 6:17 pm

Tasting Australia has been moved into the Mad March slot from April, and the Adelaide 500 has been moved into February proper to be held 20th-23rd of the month I believe.
That will alleviate any noise complaints from any festival/fringe performances happening during the March period. I wonder what changes we can expect with Tasting Australia, obviously trying to capture a bigger attendance figure.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by Nathan » Thu May 30, 2019 10:27 pm

rev wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:17 pm
Tasting Australia has been moved into the Mad March slot from April, and the Adelaide 500 has been moved into February proper to be held 20th-23rd of the month I believe.
That will alleviate any noise complaints from any festival/fringe performances happening during the March period. I wonder what changes we can expect with Tasting Australia, obviously trying to capture a bigger attendance figure.
I believe part of the reason for the move to is it helps them capture some of those foods in season around the tail end of summer / start of autumn.

rev

#33 Post by rev » Fri May 31, 2019 2:38 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:27 pm
rev wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:17 pm
I believe part of the reason for the move to is it helps them capture some of those foods in season around the tail end of summer / start of autumn.
Interesting. I wonder how they will go with the stuff they do for it in the outback given how hot March can get.

rev

#34 Post by rev » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:59 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 136ccea85a
Vision for Adelaide report plans for vibrant, thriving city that’s ‘Mad March all year’
Celeste Villani, City Editor, The City
June 7, 2019 11:27am
Subscriber only

State heavyweights have come together to discuss how greater Adelaide can be improved, with suggestions including a city where it is Mad March all year round.

The Committee of Adelaide has released its inaugural Vision for Adelaide report, which touches on changing people’s attitudes towards Adelaide, liveability, sustainability, the economy and future experiences.

Contributors to the document included former Lord Mayor Martin Haese and Commissioner for Children and Young People Helen Connolly.

Among the companies were Deloitte, BHP, PwC, Hames Sharley, Commercial and General, and Minter Ellison.

“Imagine a city where it’s Mad March all year around; where there is music on the streets; where people have so much choice when it comes to things to do,” the document reads.

“We envisage Adelaide becoming a more youthful and diverse city, recognising that youthfulness is as much a state of mind as a stage of life.

“It embodies vibrancy and verve; is infused with energy and enthusiasm; oozes zest and creativity.”

Committee for Adelaide chief executive Jodie van Deventer said it was a “blueprint” where businesses and community groups could work individually and together to achieve a common goal.

“At the heart of good planning is having a vision of the city … it creates a focus of where we need to be heading,” Ms van Deventer said.

“The Committee for Adelaide is made up of businesses and community groups, universities and a whole range of organisations that care and are passionate about South Australia and want to make it better.

“Rather than sitting back and waiting for the governments to do everything, we believe businesses and community groups have a really important role to play.

“(We) will continue to seek feedback, refining and reshaping it, and helping identify the steps that can make it a reality.”

The document said people need to “change their mindset” and see Adelaide as “globally relevant”, which could start by people not comparing the city to Melbourne and Sydney.

It also suggested improving sustainability, public transport and developing “cultural hubs” similar to the Chinatown district.

Great idea I say. I've been saying for a long time that we need more festivals and events happening throughout the year. The Winterfest/Winter Wonderlands that happen in the City, the Port and Glenelg are a start.
Chinatown and the Central Markets should all be turned into a huge international food precinct. Call it something else instead of Chinatown, retain the Chinatown elements, add elements of other cultures. There could be a South East Asian area, Italian area, local area...etc..why not. Otherwise, where would all these different cultural precincts similar to Chinatown go? Where would you put a Koreatown, a Little Italy, a Greektown...? I know other cities have them, but they are much larger cities then Adelaide.