News & Developments: Anzac Highway

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Developments: Anzac Highway

#31 Post by Norman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 am

EBG wrote:The old le Cornu site is almost completely cleared with just 2 single walls remaining. A lot of material has been sorted in to different heaps for recycling. picture (from Leader St) 7/11/2019.
The Le Cornu site and the Kaufland development have their own thread.

EBG
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by EBG » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:09 pm

Thanks Norm. i have re-posted it.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:31 pm

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by Mpol02 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:27 pm

Indeed. This is ridiculous.

Where is the labour leader from five years ago? He had it right.

likeperu
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#35 Post by likeperu » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:54 pm

its crazy, bruh what even is the "character" on Anzac highway smh

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by SRW » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:35 pm

The stupid thing about this is that changing the height limit to three storeys will do nothing to save the remaining character homes on Anzac Highway itself. They'll still be demolished but instead replaced by 4-6 semi-detached with zero trees or landscaping. At least most of the recent apartment buildings have been decent contributors to the streetscape. And for the rest of Glandore, an apartment block around the corner on Anzac Hwy has no impact to character (overlooking is a separate and easily ameliorated concern).
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly

#37 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:54 pm

This is not very good. ANZAC Highway has many multi-storey apartment complexes, some over three storeys in height. It has no consistent character, other than some rather nicely green verges. With multiple frequent bus routes and services, it is ample for increased density. This is the second odd decision by Champion in a week - and speaking of, how can he raise the topic of 'character' when we have State Heritage locations such as the Thebarton Police Barracks being razed to dust?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Algernon

#38 Post by Algernon » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:45 am

Maybe it's not a consistent character zone, but the example photos in the article are a very particular style of dutch gable housing with locally sourced materials which are quite unique to Adelaide. Lose these for some concrete slap up multistoreys and there's no character left to the area. Certainly nothing that says "Adelaide".

bits
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by bits » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:45 am

I feel there is as much house character along Anzac Highway as there is along South Road.

I personally think saving a few old private houses is entirely pointless.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by SRW » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:22 am

Again, there are nice houses on Anzac Hwy, some of which I have have been sad to see demolished. But a height restriction won't stop that; it'll only change what replaces them.

If they were serious about character (and I'm not advocating this) they would heritage list or impose character zone restrictions. So it's hard to not infer NIMBYism from this move.
Keep Adelaide Weird

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#41 Post by cocoiadrop » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:09 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm seeing this objection as entirely over the owners of those "character" homes not wanting a 3 storey flat complex next to them. If that's the case, and that's what Minister Champion is deciding decisions on, then that's utterly ridiculous.

Nathan

#42 Post by Nathan » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:23 pm

cocoiadrop wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:09 pm
Please correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm seeing this objection as entirely over the owners of those "character" homes not wanting a 3 storey flat complex next to them. If that's the case, and that's what Minister Champion is deciding decisions on, then that's utterly ridiculous.
Yes. It's not about 3-8 storey buildings in a 'character zone', it's about 3-8 storey buildings adjacent to a character zone. (The character zone starts a block back from Anzac Hwy.)

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#43 Post by Jaymz » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:44 pm

I can't name it off the top of my head, but that burnt out/previous squatters house on a large block has thankfully been demolished after years of being an eyesore. I'm more than okay with this.

[Shuz]

#44 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:44 pm

An absurd decision by the Planning Minister. In the context of metropolitan Adelaide, aside from Bowden, Glenelg and Port Adelaide - if Anzac Highway isn't suitable for this sort of development, then where is?

These residents need to shut the f up. No character homes are being destroyed. Its adjacent to, not within. I think they should be more concerned about the impacts of the NS Motorway slicing through character areas and effectively splitting neighbourhoods into two than a couple of 8 storey buildings. Honestly, the hypocrisy is ridiculous.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Algernon

#45 Post by Algernon » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:00 pm

Dialling back any concerns about urban character and looking at the fundamental location, is apartment living by a 10 lane road really living the dream?