[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#4921 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:49 pm

Spotto wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:49 pm
I'm trying to place that render of the tunnel portal. Does anybody have any ideas on the location?
Me too - is it at the Darlington end?

It'll be interesting to see whether the West Therbarton Hotel will be saved under this plan - the article suggests the tunnel will surface just south of that location which bodes less well than it surfacing just north of it...
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYG
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4922 Post by NYG » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:50 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Now we have to hope the Libs don't butcher this and give us two tunnels that are only two lanes wide.

Here's a render from the State Budget Overview.

Appears to be 3 lanes Image

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#4923 Post by mattwinter » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:53 pm

aceman wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:37 pm
will the tram overpass need to be modified because of the width of the motorway?

will the gallipoli underpass need to be widened? it appears as if the gallipoli underpass will be extended south so it goes under where the current tram line sits.

these were the first two questions that came to mind after reading the finer details.

I suspect there's room to keep the current tram overpass.

Sound like there'll be entry and exits to the tunnel somewhere near Celtic Avenue, then nothing to Anzac Highway, then Possibly Richmond Road and Sir Donald Bradman. Sounds like the current setup around Cross Road / South road might just stay as it is which is interesting in terms of freight connections to the SE Freeway.

A lot more tinkering to the plan to come I expect. Not heaps of detail and that Darlington render looks just very generic.

croweater888
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4924 Post by croweater888 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:22 pm

Spotto wrote:
I'm trying to place that render of the tunnel portal. Does anybody have any ideas on the location?
It's just after Ayliffes Road with the old Mitsubishi plant to the left.

Looks like they will take some of the land near The Crescent for widening, which may not be good news for Adrian Brien.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#4925 Post by ReallyBad » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:36 pm

https://youtu.be/kaI9PdItPT4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#4926 Post by ginzahikari » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:47 pm

What is the 'airport link' thing they were mentioning about?

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#4927 Post by mattwinter » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:05 pm

croweater888 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:22 pm
Spotto wrote:

Looks like they will take some of the land near The Crescent for widening, which may not be good news for Adrian Brien.
That certainly looks right but I doubt that is part of a real plan... Advertiser reporting that the tunnels will start about 1km north of there, which would make more sense considering the motorway already goes under Tonsley Boulevard

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#4928 Post by ReallyBad » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:27 pm

I'd say the tunnels will start right at the Tonsley Boulevard bridge as there is already off and on ramps to the expressway while the build is happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4929 Post by Spotto » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:29 pm

ginzahikari wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:47 pm
There may end up being an interchange in the vicinity of Sir Donald Bradman and James Congdon Drives, which would let people use the NSM to get to and from the airport.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4930 Post by Spotto » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:32 pm

croweater888 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:22 pm
Spotto wrote:

That's definitely not the Mitsubishi building, even if it is it's missing Tonsley Boulevard. Plus, all the Darlingon Upgrade works are brand new, I highly doubt they'd demolish the section around Tonsley when they wouldn't even be 5 years old by the time construction starts.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4931 Post by rev » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:39 pm

Spotto wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:29 pm
ginzahikari wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:47 pm
There may end up being an interchange in the vicinity of Sir Donald Bradman and James Congdon Drives, which would let people use the NSM to get to and from the airport.
There damn well better be. Otherwise chalk it down as another liberal party stuff up.

Waewick

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#4932 Post by Waewick » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:10 pm

NTRabbit wrote:I was told this weekend that the Feds are refusing to commit major funding to the main stretch, even if the state Libs had a shovel ready plan for the infrastructure stimulus money on time, because there's no business case that can be written up which shows it will make a profit.

No profit means zero funding, which is why all of this is leaking out now.
I'm curious if you can follow up your source

The decision to build the northern tunnel will spare landmarks previously under threat including Thebarton Theatre, Queen of Angels Church, Hindmarsh Cemetery and the Hoffman Brick Kiln.
The state government says it has provisioned $1.96 billion over the next four years for the project, which will create up to 4000 jobs.
It says it will deliver 78km of free-flowing motorway from Gawler to Old Noarlunga, bypassing 21 sets of traffic lights and saving up to 24 minutes in travel time on the new section alone.
Current estimates put the project cost at $8.9 billion. The final cost estimate will be determined later next year after a detailed business case and final assurances by Infrastructure Australia and Infrastructure South Australia.
We need 7 Billion dollars are we suggesting State Libs have announced this with no promise of funding?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#4933 Post by how good is he » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:05 pm

I thought the Fed Govt already committed $5bn to this?
So the final outcome is $8.9bn for 6kms of tunnels & 4.5kms of lowered motorways & 2030 to finish it?

[Shuz]

#4934 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:24 pm

How is the setup at Emerson going to work, given that the support pylons of the current overpass are in the way of the tunnel, unless the tunnels deviate to the left or right of the structure? Also it rules out any railway underpass or overpass, so that's just bungling any chance of a grade seperation in that area.

There's a few other concerns I have, but Emerson is the main one I'll provoke some discussion for now.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#4935 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:41 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:24 pm
How is the setup at Emerson going to work, given that the support pylons of the current overpass are in the way of the tunnel, unless the tunnels deviate to the left or right of the structure? Also it rules out any railway underpass or overpass, so that's just bungling any chance of a grade seperation in that area.

There's a few other concerns I have, but Emerson is the main one I'll provoke some discussion for now.
Good question, that overpass will be 40 years old by the time they tunnel underneath that section. Maybe they will just demolish it.