[VIS] New inner-city stadium

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

[VIS] Re: New inner-city stadium

#226 Post by mattwinter » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:23 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:30 pm
I didn't mean that the stats weren't true, I just question whether high youth participation figures will ever translate to attendance at A-League games. Does the primary passion of these young players lie with Aussie teams or do they really just follow the European games and the Socceroos? Of the youngsters I know who play soccer I think pretty much all of them identify themselves as fans of English teams (despite having no recent English heritage) and rarely, if ever, mention Adelaide United. Anecdotally, I would also estimate the number of European soccer shirts I people wearing day-to-day outnumbers those of Aussie teams by at least 3 to 1.

Whilst I don't question the popularity of soccer, the high quality leagues and players will always be concentrated on the other side of the world. Unless something incredibly substantial changes I don't see the A-league as being able to compete sufficiently in order to justify the 'build it and they will come' argument.
Obviously there's just a stack of people that play soccer and enjoy it without being "fans" who enjoy watching games on TV or otherwise.

I'm hopeful that soccer will continue to slowly grow in Australia, but totally agree that you don't build the 40,000 seat stadium and then hope that growth might come out of nowhere. I see no reason why Hindmarsh couldn't end up with 25k as a capacity with some upgrading. Even if roads had to be realigned slightly or the stadium overhung the roads. I'd always thought reducing the southern stand and opening up the view to the heritage listed church would be a cool touch too... build up the West/North and East sides and open at the South. If they did that they might even be able to shift the pitch 20m south and have a bit more room for stands around the north end.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#227 Post by Algernon » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:13 pm

mattwinter wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:23 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:30 pm
I didn't mean that the stats weren't true, I just question whether high youth participation figures will ever translate to attendance at A-League games. Does the primary passion of these young players lie with Aussie teams or do they really just follow the European games and the Socceroos? Of the youngsters I know who play soccer I think pretty much all of them identify themselves as fans of English teams (despite having no recent English heritage) and rarely, if ever, mention Adelaide United. Anecdotally, I would also estimate the number of European soccer shirts I people wearing day-to-day outnumbers those of Aussie teams by at least 3 to 1.

Whilst I don't question the popularity of soccer, the high quality leagues and players will always be concentrated on the other side of the world. Unless something incredibly substantial changes I don't see the A-league as being able to compete sufficiently in order to justify the 'build it and they will come' argument.
Obviously there's just a stack of people that play soccer and enjoy it without being "fans" who enjoy watching games on TV or otherwise.

I'm hopeful that soccer will continue to slowly grow in Australia, but totally agree that you don't build the 40,000 seat stadium and then hope that growth might come out of nowhere. I see no reason why Hindmarsh couldn't end up with 25k as a capacity with some upgrading. Even if roads had to be realigned slightly or the stadium overhung the roads. I'd always thought reducing the southern stand and opening up the view to the heritage listed church would be a cool touch too... build up the West/North and East sides and open at the South. If they did that they might even be able to shift the pitch 20m south and have a bit more room for stands around the north end.
There is a heritage overlay on many of the buildings south of the stadium, so this is the hardest thing to do of all. It's not really necessary though. Hindmarsh's capacity has, over the course of its life, proven to be on the range of a little too large (end of adelaide city days, during the rini coolen era and the lowy/gallop asshole era) to slightly too small (at the local game's domestic peak + ACL/FFA Cup finals). On balance, there's no need to increase the capacity, just the amenity.

If there was some absolute need to increase the capacity, I suppose they would fill in a few corners with a slight overhang of the road (manton and holden streets). During the Olympics there was a temorary stand erected on Manton St but this is not at all a permanent solution. They could just get away with some small overhang just like the Gabba. But then it comes back to there not being any need for it.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#228 Post by rev » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:41 pm

And here lies one of the major problems with this code in Australia. The mentality.

While I think it would be great for the city and our state to have that new stadium, I'm starting to think that ZERO tax payers investment is an even better option and idea.

Llessur2002

#229 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:49 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:41 pm
And here lies one of the major problems with this code in Australia. The mentality.
Blaming the 'mentality' for a code's average performance in attracting fans to games is akin to a musician blaming the mentality of people for not buying their music or going to their gigs.

If people don't get excited by the A League then why would they go and watch it? Even if they are soccer fans they're likely to be drawn to the higher quality competitions overseas.

I love the cricket but if I lived in the USA or China then I certainly wouldn't be getting particularly excited about the local game.

If something can be done without taxpayers dollars or public land being acquired then that's great but I've personally seen very little in the way of convicting argument for $$$ and prime land to be thrown at a shiny new rectangular stadium at this stage.

Looking at some of the shitty-as soccer grounds back in the UK which still manage to sell out every home game even at ticket prices 5x the cost here, the amenity of a world-class stadium is certainly not what attracts fans to games.

rev

#230 Post by rev » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:53 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:49 pm
rev wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:41 pm
Blaming the 'mentality' for a code's average performance in attracting fans to games is akin to a musician blaming the mentality of people for not buying their music or going to their gigs.

If people don't get excited by the A League then why would they go and watch it? Even if they are soccer fans they're likely to be drawn to the higher quality competitions overseas.

I love the cricket but if I lived in the USA or China then I certainly wouldn't be getting particularly excited about the local game.

If something can be done without taxpayers dollars or public land being acquired then that's great but I've personally seen very little in the way of convicting argument for $$$ and prime land to be thrown at a shiny new rectangular stadium at this stage.

Looking at some of the shitty-as soccer grounds back in the UK which still manage to sell out every home game even at ticket prices 5x the cost here, the amenity of a world-class stadium is certainly not what attracts fans to games.
Dimisses the mentality.
Then proceeds to explain how a poor mentality leads to low crowds.
Talk about mental gymnastics.

Pretty sure I said before that it needs to be an approach by all stake holders, not just building a stadium and hoping they would come.

Some of you really are slimy snakes who see/read what you want.

I'll explain your elitist type of mentality and that of many "football" fans. All 8,000 of you on average.

You believe that if a new, bigger stadium is built in a better location that has the added benefit of convenience, that other segments of society will filter in. You voew Hindmarsh as "yours", and just like the parkland psychopaths don't want anyone else encroaching on it.

Thats why you're all content with a C grade competition.

There's no greater benefit to the state by using tax payers money on Hindmarsh. Not a single cent more should be wasted on it.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#231 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:13 pm

Western United and a local council are building a $150 million football stadium essentially out of thin air, thanks to a concept called value capture.

No state or federal government money has gone into the plan to build the stadium.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-27/ ... m/12902252
Maybe Adelaide can do something like this to build a new stadium.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Llessur2002

#232 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:37 pm

I think you've misinterpreted my post, and/or vice-versa. By blaming mentality it sounded like you were suggesting the reason that crowds don't show up in greater numbers to A League games was not because the offering was poor but because people weren't willing to change their mindset to attend what are, let's face it, B grade games as far as the world soccer stage is concerned.

If by blaming mentality you simply meant that the offering was poor and therefore there has been nothing spectacular win the hearts and minds of potential crowds then I fully agree.

But, I don't think that building a new stadium will change the quality of game on offer. Even if every team in the A League was gifted a brand new state of the art stadium in a prime location I still can't see how the quality of the game on offer and the league in general would drastically improve. There would likely be an initial bounce based on curiosity but it won't change the simple fact that the time difference and distance from the upper echelons of the game make it almost impossible for Australia to compete for a meaningful slice of the soccer pie.

And for the record, despite spending my formative years in the UK I'm not a massive soccer fan, let alone an elitist one. I have nothing against the code in general and would be happy to see it succeed over here but looking at it objectively I see too many obstacles to it reaching much greater heights than it has already. Happy to be proven wrong in future.

I see no great benefit to the state by using tax payers' money to build a new rectangular stadium on the parklands (and have yet to see a remotely convincing argument for it). I would say not a single cent should be wasted on it but that might be a bit of an over-reaction. I do however think think that we should be very careful about potentially wasting a lot of cents on an all bells and whistles rectangular stadium with retracting roof and slide-in pitch all on public land when the reality is that it is unlikely to be filled anywhere near capacity for the primary purpose for which it would be built.

Re-configuring and improving Hindmarsh could well be a perfectly sensible course of action and shouldn't be discounted. Many European teams have absolutely no problem attracting crowds to long-established and not very shiny suburban grounds in the UK - why would a team need something much more elaborate here unless the game offering was sub-par in comparison?

Nort

#233 Post by Nort » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:57 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:53 pm
FFS, can you please stop dragging your derogatory provocative shit into every single thread?

Algernon

#234 Post by Algernon » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:35 pm

Nort wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:57 pm
rev wrote:
FFS, can you please stop dragging your derogatory provocative shit into every single thread?
Had the loser on ignore for well over a year. Contributes absolutely nothing. It's like having 5AA talkback beamed into your head against your will. Qualified opinion? Informed? Insightful? Interesting? Nope. Just jingoisitic parochial bullshit from someone who doesn't want anybody else to enjoy their hobby.

rev

#235 Post by rev » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:51 pm

Algernon wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:35 pm
Nort wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:57 pm
rev wrote:
Had the loser on ignore for well over a year. Contributes absolutely nothing. It's like having 5AA talkback beamed into your head against your will. Qualified opinion? Informed? Insightful? Interesting? Nope. Just jingoisitic parochial bullshit from someone who doesn't want anybody else to enjoy their hobby.
Lmfao oh no some random pompous dick head that is the epitome of the pissant South Australian stereotype thinks Im a loser.
:lol:

What have you ever contributed besides your unqualified opinion you dick head?

Do your self a favor, go lick the benches at woodville pizza bar..its about as intelligent as you actually are.
Last edited by rev on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rev

#236 Post by rev » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:05 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:13 pm
Western United and a local council are building a $150 million football stadium essentially out of thin air, thanks to a concept called value capture.

No state or federal government money has gone into the plan to build the stadium.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-27/ ... m/12902252
Maybe Adelaide can do something like this to build a new stadium.
Lol nah, would never happen in Adelaide.
Just look at some of the morons who post here lile Algymoron and Nort.

There's a reason this state are so backwards and falling further behind. Its because clueless dick heada scared of their own shadows let alone progress and change are the prevailing majority. Its why the minority with more then 2 brain cells to run together high tail it to the east coast or Perth, or at least limit their exposure to the dumb fucks in Adelaide by doing more business with the east coast.

Its why wankers like nort will never amount to anything, its why algynutless will always remain a pathetic know it all loser whose stuck in Adelaide.

If you think I'm wrong, then look at the quality of investments here. They're all shit. Look at the quality in Melbourne or Perth for example. Where real, serious money gets dropped.
SA is treated as nothing more then an over grown regional centre, but these dumb asses can't comprehend that.
Lmfao our own state governments even go along with that theme, but morons here think somethings magically going to change because we got two average buildings to crack 130m :lol:

These people are pitiful.
They'll be stuck in this shit hole for eternity going nowhere, whereas plenty of us have seen the light ( or lack of more like it), and either moved home and business interstate or are now doing almost all business with the east coast.

Fuck SA and morons like some who post here, pitiful losers with nothing going for them, who will never achieve anything more then a mediocre existence.

Couldn't give a fuck.

You post ideas that are out there, different for this shit state, and they spend their time figuring out reasons why it wouldn't work. Thats the loser mentality of many South Australians. Thats not to say my ideas are workable, but I post them purely to prove how utterly fucking stupid these people are with their loser mentality.

rev

#237 Post by rev » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:28 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:37 pm
I think you've misinterpreted my post, and/or vice-versa. By blaming mentality it sounded like you were suggesting the reason that crowds don't show up in greater numbers to A League games was not because the offering was poor but because people weren't willing to change their mindset to attend what are, let's face it, B grade games as far as the world soccer stage is concerned.

If by blaming mentality you simply meant that the offering was poor and therefore there has been nothing spectacular win the hearts and minds of potential crowds then I fully agree.

But, I don't think that building a new stadium will change the quality of game on offer. Even if every team in the A League was gifted a brand new state of the art stadium in a prime location I still can't see how the quality of the game on offer and the league in general would drastically improve. There would likely be an initial bounce based on curiosity but it won't change the simple fact that the time difference and distance from the upper echelons of the game make it almost impossible for Australia to compete for a meaningful slice of the soccer pie.

And for the record, despite spending my formative years in the UK I'm not a massive soccer fan, let alone an elitist one. I have nothing against the code in general and would be happy to see it succeed over here but looking at it objectively I see too many obstacles to it reaching much greater heights than it has already. Happy to be proven wrong in future.

I see no great benefit to the state by using tax payers' money to build a new rectangular stadium on the parklands (and have yet to see a remotely convincing argument for it). I would say not a single cent should be wasted on it but that might be a bit of an over-reaction. I do however think think that we should be very careful about potentially wasting a lot of cents on an all bells and whistles rectangular stadium with retracting roof and slide-in pitch all on public land when the reality is that it is unlikely to be filled anywhere near capacity for the primary purpose for which it would be built.

Re-configuring and improving Hindmarsh could well be a perfectly sensible course of action and shouldn't be discounted. Many European teams have absolutely no problem attracting crowds to long-established and not very shiny suburban grounds in the UK - why would a team need something much more elaborate here unless the game offering was sub-par in comparison?
Not that it matters since the usual wankers will go crying and I wont be able to post, but like I said, stadiums alone won't improve things. It needs all stake holders. Like I also said, you guys see what you want to see and make up your arguments/shit stirring based on that.

You're not going to get big naming rights sponsors for a shit hole that a turd like algymong thinks is heaven on earth, but you will for a modern venue in a prime location.
That sponsorship money helps offset the cost of operating the venue and so on.
With such a venue, the clubs can draw bigger sponsors too.
With modern venues and bigger sponsorship money, comes bigger interest and tv rights deals.
With that also comes interest from bigger name players.

You're not going to have a prime time league with C and B grade venues, piss poor South Australian Algymong style management.
New/upgraded venues need to be part of the equation.
But maggots like Algymong dont like that because they'll lose their favourite seat at Hindmarsh, kind of how the 80 year old relic crows supporters would fight over their favourite seats in the members at footy park. Derelict minds in a derelict state.

Is that all that's needed? No, but its a big help and step in the right direction. It needs to be part of a bigger picture to improve things and grow the game/league.
Thats where the resistance comes from some people.
They have their little piece and dont want change. Just like the retarded ACC with their anti-development agenda over the years, or the parklands nazis.
This is SA to a t. Self interest minority groups of absolute wankers like algymong. This state will never see real progress or growth until they're neutralized.

Assholes like Algymehw who only gained an interest in "football" when the A League started have zero idea of what the "Premier League" was prior to its big shake up and the changes made. People like him are too stupid, too wrapped up in their own self importance to comprehend it wasnt always as big as it is today.

But hey man, I'm wrong yeh? Because I'm not part of the inner circle of jerk offs on S-A I'm just a lone jerk off, who likes to piss them off by posting things they don't like.

They're calling you back. Better post some message calling me a loser and what not, or Algymong will turn on you lol.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#238 Post by mattwinter » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:47 pm

Algernon wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:13 pm
There is a heritage overlay on many of the buildings south of the stadium, so this is the hardest thing to do of all. It's not really necessary though...
My thought was removing the Southern stand entirely and using that space to move the ground further South, not the heritage buildings behind... i.e.

Totally agree on your other comments though. Just an idea if they ever wanted to really modernise it.

[Shuz]

#239 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:31 pm

Ah, I see Rev's escaped the asylum again and pissing into the wind.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#240 Post by Will » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:09 pm

The other topic has been locked.

More personal insults will result in more threads being locked.