News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
mshagg
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#3691 Post by mshagg » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:32 am

They should name and shame the businesses threatening to sue council over the provision of on street car parking, so that I and everyone I know can avoid ever spending a single cent at their business.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#3692 Post by Bob » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:33 am

This revised proposal is a joke.

Why does everything to do with the Adelaide CBD come back to on-street car parking?

Adelaide CBD has more car parking station spaces available than either Sydney CBD or Melbourne CBD, why do people still expect on-street parking immediately at the front of the CBD business they are visiting as well? The stretch of Flinders Street in question has up to a dozen car parking stations within 200m of the street.

The same stretch of Flinders Street has up to a dozen legal firms, and these are the real culprits in this sorry saga – who in the hell do they think they are to threaten legal action against the ACC for losing on-street car parking? They don’t own the street, The ACC needs State Govt backing here, and call their bluff, take the original Flinders-Franklin proposal back to the preferred option and open it to public consultation as per proper process.

This all goes back to a disjointed transport plan for the CBD, what supposed to be in planning is:

• Grenfell-Currie PT corridor upgrade
• CBD underground rail with stations at Hindmarsh Sq and Victoria Sq
• NS thru and direct route bikeway from South Parkland to North Parkland
• EW thru and direct route bikeway from East Parkland to West Parkland
• Tram extension to North Adelaide and an agreed Tram City loop – the latter still has no route agreed.

And what is the use of Infrastructure SA? And where are they, not only in this saga, but on all the items above? So far their reports released to date have just been regurgitation of previous information.

PT, cycling , walking - all the things needed to operate smoothly in a modern city, and here we are still thinking like its half a century ago with on street car parking.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3693 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:56 am

What a crock of shite.

ACC have failed massively on this one. Embarrassing.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#3694 Post by Nort » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:44 pm

mshagg wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:32 am
They should name and shame the businesses threatening to sue council over the provision of on street car parking, so that I and everyone I know can avoid ever spending a single cent at their business.
Sadly the law firms which would make those threats would probably also be happy to cause difficulties based on any such action.

However it is nice to know that if ever looking to find a street park during the day in town the place to try and take them is on Flinders Street.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3695 Post by SRW » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:01 pm

Nice of the Lord Mayor to admit the lobbying, but it's a bit pathetic to blame the administration for minimal consultation rather than the elected members who've obstructed this every step of the way. It'd be nicer for her to face down the naysayers and actually show some leadership on the issue, as is supposed to be her role! Honestly, with her background in the arts, I thought Sandy Verschoor would be a stronger advocate for a more progressive city. Perhaps she should take a trip to Sydney and learn something from Clover Moore.

Also, I'm confused how this is only costing $5.8m when the state has $12 million on the table and it's a huge stretch of road.
Keep Adelaide Weird

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3696 Post by mshagg » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:22 am

Disappointingly the bicycle interest groups are encouraging members to offer vocal support for the proposal (the fatally compromised design they've come up with isn't even guaranteed to pass at council).

What a terrible precedent to establish, as if ACC wasn't already beholden to on street car parking.

Nathan

#3697 Post by Nathan » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:49 am

mshagg wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:22 am
Disappointingly the bicycle interest groups are encouraging members to offer vocal support for the proposal (the fatally compromised design they've come up with isn't even guaranteed to pass at council).

What a terrible precedent to establish, as if ACC wasn't already beholden to on street car parking.
Sadly BikeSA has quite a narrow view of who is a "cyclist", and both their lobbying and their campaigns reflect that.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3698 Post by mshagg » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:55 pm

Council voted against the design.

Sorry, I should say - Team Adelaide voted against the design.

[Shuz]

#3699 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:57 am

Probably the only sensible thing Team Adelaide has done.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#3700 Post by Nathan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:39 pm

It was voted down, but for very much the wrong reasons. It's laughable that the ones that voted it down, were the ones that pushed for the compromised dog leg in the first place. Their interest isn't in doing it right, it's in fucking with the project enough that it ends up never happening.

The state government announced funding for it back in 2016. The last thing the project needs is more fear mongering at businesses in the area, veiled as "consultation".

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3701 Post by SRW » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:34 pm

East-West Bikeway:
At its meeting on 15 December 2020, Council noted the proposed route of the East-West Bikeway along Franklin Street, Flinders Street, Gawler Place, Wakefield Street and Wakefield Road. Click here for more information and to have your say.
Consultation closes 5pm, Friday 19 February 2021.
Keep Adelaide Weird

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3702 Post by mshagg » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:12 am

Article in the tiser today, seems St Marys, the cathedral and orthodox church have hired a consultant to deliver a report claiming the bikeway is a "major threat to public safety".

Im not sure what parallel universe we ended up in that deems infrastructure to support an active mode of transport for school kids is a bad thing. Welcome to Adelaide.

ChillyPhilly

#3703 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:34 am

mshagg wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:12 am
Article in the tiser today, seems St Marys, the cathedral and orthodox church have hired a consultant to deliver a report claiming the bikeway is a "major threat to public safety".

Im not sure what parallel universe we ended up in that deems infrastructure to support an active mode of transport for school kids is a bad thing. Welcome to Adelaide.
Of course, The Advertiser would air this nonsense too.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nathan

#3704 Post by Nathan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:24 am

So multi-lane traffic bordering the church and school (both Franklin St and West Tce) is perfectly safe for school children and church go-ers, but a separated bike lane is a major threat? :roll:

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#3705 Post by mshagg » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:49 pm

So I'm not a news ltd subscriber, nor will I ever be, but Adelaidenow seems to have an article outing Greg Griffin as the chief a-hole threatening to sue council over the proposed Bikeway.