SA State Election 2022

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Which political party will you vote for at the 2022 South Australian State Election?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:42 pm

Liberal
13%
Labor
50%
Greens
20%
Nationals
No votes
SA Best / Centre Alliance
No votes
One Nation
3%
United Australia Party
No votes
Independent / Other
13%

Total votes: 30

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: SA State Election 2022

#76 Post by Nort » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:21 am

Another main reason I can't see big spending on trams in this term is that in the post-Covid recovery phase I think governments are going to be heavily prioritising things that provide economic stimulus, and a big chunk of of the trams would go to purchasing them from overseas.

rubberman

#77 Post by rubberman » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:32 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:21 am
Another main reason I can't see big spending on trams in this term is that in the post-Covid recovery phase I think governments are going to be heavily prioritising things that provide economic stimulus, and a big chunk of of the trams would go to purchasing them from overseas.
Or buy them from Australia. The Melbourne E class tram is a Flexity variant, but made in Australia.

[Shuz]

#78 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:23 pm

Provided Labor & Albanese get elected in May, one of their promises is to revitalise production of trains and trams to be made and maintained in Australia rather than overseas. I definetly expect a light rail announcement of some sort for Adelaide. They want to push ahead with several PT projects around the country, but to go one step further and actually coordinate the state governments so that the production and maintenance factories have a substantial and sustainable pipeline of projects to work with over the next 20 years. Its a great policy.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nort

#79 Post by Nort » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:09 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:23 pm
Provided Labor & Albanese get elected in May, one of their promises is to revitalise production of trains and trams to be made and maintained in Australia rather than overseas. I definetly expect a light rail announcement of some sort for Adelaide. They want to push ahead with several PT projects around the country, but to go one step further and actually coordinate the state governments so that the production and maintenance factories have a substantial and sustainable pipeline of projects to work with over the next 20 years. Its a great policy.
Oh wow, I didn't know about that policy. That would change some things.

SBD

#80 Post by SBD » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:37 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:10 am
A-Town wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:11 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:05 pm
Agreed with Nathan, they shouldn't wait to use it for a second term bid, they should get the ball rolling ASAP.
No reason other then politics why they can't have the first stages of a wider network U/C by the time the next state election comes around.

They also need to get a move on and look at how to connect the NSM with the SEF.
Maybe take it a step further and look at creating a proper motorway ring route.
With what money though? With the extraordinary amount of money being spent on health, there will only be a trickle left to go towards infrastructure and other economy-growing projects and initiatives.
Federal funding, borrowing/debt.
It doesn't get paid for up front. If its going to take four years to build, it gets paid for across that time frame.

Our state debt to gsp ratio is relatively low still, so they can still borrow money especially to fund infrastructure, and our states credit rating isn't too bad either.

And, if we're short, perhaps politicians can take a pay cut, or live off a regular pension like rest of us will have to, instead of the $200,000 plus that politicians like Rob Lucas will get.
Rob Lucas is one of the last on the old (more generous) superannuation scheme. Don't forget that some of that pension is from the proportion of his salary that he has been contributing for himself as well. It's not all from the state purse. We should thank these people retiring on superannuation pensions for not relying on a government aged pension. People who take a lump sum often manage to arrange to also get an age pension eventually.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#81 Post by A-Town » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:53 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:07 am
ghs wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:26 pm
HiTouch wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:23 pm
I hope Mali brings back Jay Weatherill's Light Rail network vision. Easily was one of the best ideas up there with the North-South Motorway. Surely both can exist.
Lets hope that Mali doesn’t get any ideas from Jay Weatherill in terms of keeping the
Electricity supply stable lol

Are you going to pay for a light rail network ?

The cost is huge and is probably as useful as Marshall’s $662 million basketball stadium.
Yes! In fact, thanks to the Federal funding, you and my tax money, we will all pay for the light rail network. Taxes should go to useful things such as effective road and public transport infrastructure. The difference between a basketball stadium and a tram network is that a tram network eases congestion off the road and increases commute and access to urban centres. Basketball stadiums don't do that ghs. They are basketball stadiums. They are big and don't move or increase efficiency. ghs, did you know that basketball stadiums aren't considered infrastructure for this reason? It would be a waste of money making a basketball stadium with wheels to consider it as infrastructure as well. That's why it doesn't happen. It's the difference between a waste of money and a good investment.
It's a new entertainment centre in the CBD, not purely a basketball stadium. Both that and an extended tram network would be excellent investments.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#82 Post by rev » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:51 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:37 pm
rev wrote:
A-Town wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:11 pm

With what money though? With the extraordinary amount of money being spent on health, there will only be a trickle left to go towards infrastructure and other economy-growing projects and initiatives.
It doesn't get paid for up front. If its going to take four years to build, it gets paid for across that time frame.

Our state debt to gsp ratio is relatively low still, so they can still borrow money especially to fund infrastructure, and our states credit rating isn't too bad either.

And, if we're short, perhaps politicians can take a pay cut, or live off a regular pension like rest of us will have to, instead of the $200,000 plus that politicians like Rob Lucas will get.
Rob Lucas is one of the last on the old (more generous) superannuation scheme. Don't forget that some of that pension is from the proportion of his salary that he has been contributing for himself as well. It's not all from the state purse. We should thank these people retiring on superannuation pensions for not relying on a government aged pension. People who take a lump sum often manage to arrange to also get an age pension eventually.
Oh he's been salary sacrificing has he? How considerate of him...
And where does his salary come from? Your taxes.

Who cares if it's the old "more" generous pension scheme for them or the new one, either way, it's a hell of a lot more in pension then you or I will ever see.
And when the pensions for regular folk start to dry up, and they will, these politicians will be sitting pretty.

But hey, he salary sacrificed from his 6 figure tax payer funded income, he deserves it.

Nort

#83 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:24 am

A-Town wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:53 pm
It's a new entertainment centre in the CBD, not purely a basketball stadium. Both that and an extended tram network would be excellent investments.
If the new CBD entertainment center is an "excellent investment" then it should have no problem attracting private investors.

SBD

#84 Post by SBD » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:49 am

rev wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:51 pm
SBD wrote:
rev wrote:

Who cares if it's the old "more" generous pension scheme for them or the new one, either way, it's a hell of a lot more in pension then you or I will ever see.
And when the pensions for regular folk start to dry up, and they will, these politicians will be sitting pretty.

But hey, he salary sacrificed from his 6 figure tax payer funded income, he deserves it.
We may be drifting off to the beer garden, but I'm unclear if you are concerned that members of parliament are paid too much while they are in office, or that they get a superannuation scheme comparable to public servants of the same era when they leave.

Sure, we could pay MPs a minimum wage so that they know what the poorer people in society live on. Maybe an outcome would be that the minimum wage and the dole are increased, which might well be good things for society as a whole, I don't dispute that. But the other side is that less of the people who could earn significantly more would bother to stand for public office. Why put in the work and stress and family disruption of being an MP if it only earned 10% more than the dole and 5% more than serving coffee at the local cafe? We might complain about some of the candidates now (I wasn't happy with my available choices), but imagine how much worse it would be if all the competent ones left for better paying jobs.

You're right, they earn more than me, but I don't want their jobs either.

rev

#85 Post by rev » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:25 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:49 am
rev wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:51 pm
SBD wrote:

We may be drifting off to the beer garden, but I'm unclear if you are concerned that members of parliament are paid too much while they are in office, or that they get a superannuation scheme comparable to public servants of the same era when they leave.

Sure, we could pay MPs a minimum wage so that they know what the poorer people in society live on. Maybe an outcome would be that the minimum wage and the dole are increased, which might well be good things for society as a whole, I don't dispute that. But the other side is that less of the people who could earn significantly more would bother to stand for public office. Why put in the work and stress and family disruption of being an MP if it only earned 10% more than the dole and 5% more than serving coffee at the local cafe? We might complain about some of the candidates now (I wasn't happy with my available choices), but imagine how much worse it would be if all the competent ones left for better paying jobs.

You're right, they earn more than me, but I don't want their jobs either.
They are paid too much.
Their pay should be in line with the rest of society, and so should their pension.
But the other side is that less of the people who could earn significantly more would bother to stand for public office.
Running the state, and country for that matter, should not be about enriching your self with a 6 figure salary that is way above the average salary/wage of ordinary people and a pension way beyond what any average person will ever see.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#86 Post by A-Town » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:15 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:24 am
A-Town wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:53 pm
If the new CBD entertainment center is an "excellent investment" then it should have no problem attracting private investors.
Private investors are purely focused on profit. The investment of a new entertainment centre goes beyond the ROI for the government. You're rejuvenating barren wasteland and bringing extra life into the CBD and giving residents a world class arena to enjoy sports and concerts in.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#87 Post by Will » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:23 pm

Rev, the problem with this philosophy is that talented people will not enter politics if the salary was not competitive. Come on! who in the real world would leave their respective careers in business, law, medicine etc.. for an average salary, which seems to be around $51k, especially if they have a family to support.

If we instituted this, politics would become the domain of the rich and self sufficient. Essentially, most politicians would be rich, old white men. I do not want to see parliament filled with the likes of Clive Palmer...

rev

#88 Post by rev » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:28 pm

Will wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:23 pm
Rev, the problem with this philosophy is that talented people will not enter politics if the salary was not competitive. Come on! who in the real world would leave their respective careers in business, law, medicine etc.. for an average salary, which seems to be around $51k, especially if they have a family to support.

If we instituted this, politics would become the domain of the rich and self sufficient. Essentially, most politicians would be rich, old white men. I do not want to see parliament filled with the likes of Clive Palmer...
Who governs now Will? Predominantly the rich.

When was the last time a "commoner" governed SA? Or governed the country? Our current PM is a multi millionaire with a Harbor side mansion.

Is Malinauskas a commoner? Went to Mercedes College which only costs tens of thousands, his wife is a partner at a legal firm. Yep, sounds like your average bloke whose lived most of his adult life pay cheque to pay cheque which only happens to be the majority of people in this state and country.

Marshall wasn't short of a quid either.

In our current system, the only talent you need in politics is to be able to bullshit to your constituents with a straight face.

Do you actually think our current system attracts the brightest and most talented? Do you think those who govern are average folk?

They gave Mike Rann a plum position over in Italy, Joe Hockey got sent to the USA in comfort, Gillard has an office full of staff and enjoys a healthy salary, all courtesy of us even after she's out of office.

She sold her house in Melbourne didn't she?
Did the proceeds of that impact her pension? Like you know it would any other person who wasn't a politician?

If you're actually trying to defend these grubs, while the average Australian struggles, you're either blissfully ignorant of the reality and challenges faced by most, or just having a laugh.

How can anyone justify paying these people 6 figures, and their staff, on top of giving them fully fitted and furnished offices outside of parliament, cars, travel, while ordinary folk struggle more and more.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#89 Post by Will » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:44 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:28 pm
Will wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:23 pm

Who governs now Will? Predominantly the rich.

When was the last time a "commoner" governed SA? Or governed the country? Our current PM is a multi millionaire with a Harbor side mansion.

Is Malinauskas a commoner? Went to Mercedes College which only costs tens of thousands, his wife is a partner at a legal firm. Yep, sounds like your average bloke whose lived most of his adult life pay cheque to pay cheque which only happens to be the majority of people in this state and country.

Marshall wasn't short of a quid either.

In our current system, the only talent you need in politics is to be able to bullshit to your constituents with a straight face.

Do you actually think our current system attracts the brightest and most talented? Do you think those who govern are average folk?

They gave Mike Rann a plum position over in Italy, Joe Hockey got sent to the USA in comfort, Gillard has an office full of staff and enjoys a healthy salary, all courtesy of us even after she's out of office.

She sold her house in Melbourne didn't she?
Did the proceeds of that impact her pension? Like you know it would any other person who wasn't a politician?

If you're actually trying to defend these grubs, while the average Australian struggles, you're either blissfully ignorant of the reality and challenges faced by most, or just having a laugh.

How can anyone justify paying these people 6 figures, and their staff, on top of giving them fully fitted and furnished offices outside of parliament, cars, travel, while ordinary folk struggle more and more.
I’m not following your argument. By your definition, everyone who earns a 6 figure salary is not a commoner. Likewise anyone who attended a private school is also not a commoner. We live in an aspirational society, whereby a significant portion of society would be deemed inappropriate to sit in parliament according to your definitions. Earning $100k in modern Australia doesn’t make you rich.

Malinauskas is not some entitled rich kid from old money. He is the product of European refugees from world war 2. What is wrong with people working hard and sending their children to a private school? What is your exact problem with this? I went to a private school you would probably class as ‘elite’, but I can guarantee you most of the guys I went to school with, were there because their parents sacrificed a lot to send them there. My parents sacrificed their weekends, holidays, new cars to send me there. We were definitely not rich. Are you projecting your own resentment and envy here?

Furthermore, I would rather someone like this leads us than someone who quit school in year 10, wasted their youth with the wrong crowd and now stacks shelves at Woolies in the 40s.

Are you suggesting we should only elect people on welfare or undertaking unskilled manual work to top office, just because they are a battler and know how tough it is? I’m sure they know how tough it is, but because they continue to struggle, I can’t see how they would govern well, other than instituting populist yet ultimately damaging policies.

Nort

#90 Post by Nort » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:32 am

Politicians shouldn't be overpaid, but at the same time they should be paid at similar levels to any other public servant at their level of seniority.

People under financial stress are more susceptible to blackmail and bribery.