F1 Grand Prix at The Bend

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: F1 Grand Prix at The Bend

#16 Post by rev » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:07 am

I'm not going to get into why the F1 and others are pulling out or suspending operations/services in/for Russia, all I'll say so that this thread doesn't divolve into a political discussion, is that it has absolutely, zero, literally less then nothing to do with who the government in Russia is, or what style of government is in place.

On the F1, I will say it again, there is no chance of it coming back to Adelaide much less to a shit hole town in the middle of nowhere.

It's never coming back to South Australia.
It's all about the money now, if it wasn't before it is even more so now about the money because of who owns it. That's why there's going to be multiple races in the USA.
Americans are arrogant, but they are arrogant for a reason. They are the biggest consumer market.

On that, if Melbourne loses the race, and Australia gets to keep a slot, it will go to Sydney.

Our state should focus on something else. Like creating a huge motorsport festival that encompasses the Formula E (on the old F1 circuit) and Supercars (on the shorter street circuit), the Adelaide Rally and the motorsport festival. Should actually look at bringing the WRC Australian Rally slot here to run in conjunction with the Adelaide Rally.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Nort » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:57 am

andynguyen wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:04 pm
Nort wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:17 am
There are literally hundreds of race tracks around the world that would be better for the F1 than The Bend. Having ambitious ideas is good, but this doesn't add up.

F1 is portrayed as glamorous, powerful. They absolutely don't want caravans lined up along the track.
Not really true mate! The Bend is a very high quality track that even beats some of the tracks currently used for F1! For F1 races track quality is very important!

As for caravans, they can be parked out of sight of spectator viewing areas and there's plenty of room at The Bend to accommodate them! But having an idea of caravan numbers would help determine total attendance for the Grand Prix which I expect could be up to 150,000 for the entirety of The Bend Grand Prix!
For F1 the quality of a race track also includes things like how good it looks onscreen.

They love street circuits for that reason. The Bend is a boring location.

[Shuz]

#18 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:47 pm

This is the most ridiculous thread that's ever appeared on these forums. Never gonna happen.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ho Really

#19 Post by Ho Really » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:40 pm

Not sure why it is ridiculous. I don't see anything funny about this thread.

The best way to put it is simply, it will be very unlikely we will see a return of Formula One. Not impossible, but very unlikely. Yes, the lack of money will be the biggest issue, but not the circuit. It was built to a high standard. It will only need a few facilities to bring it up to the highest level, but I don't see that being a problem if there's a major sponsor and someone who wants to throw a great deal of money into it. As for the TV, The Bend is perfect. All it needs is more stands for the spectators. So as long as the facilities are up to scratch and the money is there we should never say it's impossible.

As for Moto GPs, yes why not? Or the SBK championship and endurance races. Motorbikes are more spectacular than Formula One. More competitive and the people who run them, just like the spectators, are more down to earth. Rev mentioned the WRC. That too could be part of a month long motorsport series. I'm not too keen on the Supercars like Labor is though. That died when Australian manufacturers pulled the plug. Let the V8s race at The Bend if they want. Let's look at Formula E or any other future high tech series. My :2cents:

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:30 am

If the F1 comes back to SA should be in the Adelaide city and not a the bend.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Zills
Gold-Member ;)

#21 Post by Zills » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:43 am

Great pipe dream but it just won't happen.. too far away from a major population centre so they won't come close to the numbers they would get at the adelaide circuit. Plus they are determined to build a new market in the USA with 3 races on the calendar next year.

Perhaps one day they will implement high speed passenger rail to the area. That could be a serious catalyst for growth and a proposal like this would be a lot more viable.