[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
croweater888
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5731 Post by croweater888 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:10 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:46 pm
Will the "cost blowout" of the new Women's and Children's Hospital be met by changes to this project?

Will it by just pushing the costs "further to the right" (deferring construction), or will it become a cheaper design because the new attitude to heritage means it can be built straight through the Queen of Angels church, Thebarton theatre and Hindmarsh Cemetery?
That seems rather alarmist.

None of that is going to happen when they are all within Kouts electorate.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5732 Post by SBD » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:38 pm

croweater888 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:10 pm
SBD wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:46 pm
Will the "cost blowout" of the new Women's and Children's Hospital be met by changes to this project?

Will it by just pushing the costs "further to the right" (deferring construction), or will it become a cheaper design because the new attitude to heritage means it can be built straight through the Queen of Angels church, Thebarton theatre and Hindmarsh Cemetery?
That seems rather alarmist.

None of that is going to happen when they are all within Kouts electorate.
I've previously argued on here that Koutsantonis was a blocker. We now also have Malinauskas determined to fulfil his election promises and making it clear that he is just as far from the Rann government as he is from Marshall, and not much closer to Weatherill. I honestly can't work out what the underlying priorities are for the state under this government.

[Shuz]

#5733 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:12 pm

Koutsantonis is the longest serving member of Parliament. He will be out in 8 years, at least - assuming Labor win in 2026. I think he doesn't care what happens to the NS Motorway project in his electorate because by the time its done he'll have left politics. Construction for the northern end will have only just started come 2026, so it's no loss to him what the actual design looks like just so long as its done.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5734 Post by aceman » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:22 pm

did anyone see a segment on this evenings news regarding an update on the final section of the motorway? I changed channels on the TV and caught the last 3 seconds.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5735 Post by Spotto » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:46 pm

aceman wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:22 pm
did anyone see a segment on this evenings news regarding an update on the final section of the motorway? I changed channels on the TV and caught the last 3 seconds.
Just popped up in my feed, only recently posted

https://www.facebook.com/7NEWSAdelaide/ ... 502170748/

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5736 Post by rev » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:12 pm

So basically a nothing story regurgitating what we already know, that we don't know...Well done 7 News, keep up the quality reporting. :roll:

[Shuz]

#5737 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:28 am

I've never known 7, or any commercial station for that matter to produce quality reporting.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5738 Post by Spotto » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:35 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:28 am
I've never known 7, or any commercial station for that matter to produce quality reporting.
Before 10 axed local news and started making Franken-bulletins out of Sydney and Melbourne, I thought they were the most straight-to-the-point out of the three commercial networks.

SBD

#5739 Post by SBD » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:21 pm

I thought I heard on the radio this morning that the Conservation Council is lobbying to scrap the remainder of the NSM because the money would yield better outcomes if spent on public transport. I can't find a recent press release to explain how it got into this morning's news though. The closest I can find is 2022 State Budget Response which says “Scrapping this runaway project and re-using the funds to shift our dirty truck and car dominated transport system to cleaner, faster and healthier options would transform our city for the better”.

They don't attempt to explain why less-dirty trucks wouldn't benefit from a motorway, nor consider that trucks automatically reduce emissions by being able to drive on a motorway instead of stopping and starting at lots of traffic lights.

VLtom
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5740 Post by VLtom » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:23 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:21 pm

They don't attempt to explain why less-dirty trucks wouldn't benefit from a motorway, nor consider that trucks automatically reduce emissions by being able to drive on a motorway instead of stopping and starting at lots of traffic lights.
Refers to shifting freight demand off trucks and towards rail freight in some capacity that would indeed reduce vehicle emissions.

rev

#5741 Post by rev » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:25 pm

SBD wrote:
I thought I heard on the radio this morning that the Conservation Council is lobbying to scrap the remainder of the NSM because the money would yield better outcomes if spent on public transport. I can't find a recent press release to explain how it got into this morning's news though. The closest I can find is 2022 State Budget Response which says “Scrapping this runaway project and re-using the funds to shift our dirty truck and car dominated transport system to cleaner, faster and healthier options would transform our city for the better”.

It has to be about more then just emissions. This push to reduce emissions at any cost is like a cult. Electric cars and trucks will eventually be common place. We still need better roads and still have a need for a motorway network.

There's no reason why we can't have a network of motorways and a wider public transport network spanning the suburbs, as well as better designed roads that including better cycling infrastructure.

SBD

#5742 Post by SBD » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:45 pm

VLtom wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:23 pm
SBD wrote:

Refers to shifting freight demand off trucks and towards rail freight in some capacity that would indeed reduce vehicle emissions.
Do any other "modern cities" use rail freight on a metro network to move goods around the suburbs? I've never seen end-to-end journey data for truck movements through Adelaide, but I expect that most trucks that use the NSM corridor south of Cross Road are essentially "local". I guess a railway to Kangaroo Island (using a ferry) and a route that way to Victor Harbor might be fun, but I doubt that freight would be the primary use like it was when SA's country railways were built 100-150 years ago. I don't know whether country rail works well compared to buses for that distance and load. We don't want to extend metropolitan commuting all the way to those places.

Shifting daily deliveries from the wholesale warehouses to the supermarkets onto rail is unlikely to turn out to be practical anywhere with a modern road network. Some of the warehouses might be near railways, but the supermarkets won't be.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#5743 Post by Saltwater » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:49 pm

Exactly, the groceries we buy from Woolies or Coles don't magically arrive on the supermarket shelves on buses or passenger trains, they get there by freight drivers, and the gridlock on our major road networks means we all end up paying more for things.

The boat sailed on any argument against building the NSM years ago anyway, before the T2T and Darlington sections were built. With both now in place what we have are huge volumes of traffic trying to get through the remaining section, which is capacity limited (mostly only two lanes), and passes through some of the oldest parts of Adelaide. You'd think the Conservation Council would understand that.

claybro

#5744 Post by claybro » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:05 pm

SBD wrote:

I do hope these idiots never order anything from Uber eats, order from Amazon, or other internet based shopping, use any ride share, and only purchase local artisan produce from their local market, and dont purchase any cheap imported electrical or clothing items manufactured in Asia. Beside the amount of additional population, the amount of delivery vehicles in local areas has exploded in recent years and shows no sign of slowing down. Not sure even a fleet of electric trains will be delivering to my local IGA any time soon. Once again-the corridor is not about commuter traffic..and this is not an either or case. Adelaide needs both vast amounts extra spent on PT and at the very least this N/S connection. Just because generations of lazy populist SA governments have been totally inadequate at raising funds for such infrastructure -and building it in a well planned timely manner to save costs, doesn't mean we cant do both at the same time.

rev

#5745 Post by rev » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:29 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... d662f0face

Apparently the first houses have been demolished.
Not sure its worth the read, probably more whinging and crying behind the pay wall