News & Discussion: Regional Transport

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Regional Transport

#691 Post by Eurostar » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:14 am

Waewick wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:06 pm
https://dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/ro ... ss_project

I assume this goes here. Looks like a reasonable bypass.

Shame it doesn't look 4 lanes is under consideration (and link it to the 4 lanes outside Nuri )

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
No more junctions please! The access points into and out of Truro should be highway interchanges. Sturt Highway should be built to freeway standard.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#692 Post by SBD » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:54 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:14 am
Waewick wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:06 pm
https://dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/ro ... ss_project

I assume this goes here. Looks like a reasonable bypass.

Shame it doesn't look 4 lanes is under consideration (and link it to the 4 lanes outside Nuri )

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
No more junctions please! The access points into and out of Truro should be highway interchanges. Sturt Highway should be built to freeway standard.
I agree with you both. For the cost of building a new bypass on a new alignment, making it four lanes+median instead of 2 lanes+overtaking lanes shouldn't break the bank.

The Western End and the Eudunda Road intersections are fairly close. Perhaps they could be combined into a single interchange using the machinery and stock route. Splitting the Eudunda Road intersection means that drivers wanting travel along that road have to make a right turn onto the highway. Even this afternoon, that took patience near Nuriootpa. It would be much worse at busy times. Upgraded sections should be to a higher standard, so it eventually becomes a small job to fill in the gaps.

It is unlikely be that every current side road can be replaced by an interchange. Some can probably be merged with service roads but some might need to remain (maybe as left in/out only with u-turn spaces further along). Parts of Victoria's Western Freeway/Highway are like that. At least SA is bypassing the town first. Victoria seems to have build four lanes on both sides of Beaufort, but left the town's main street intact in the "too hard basket".

ChillyPhilly

#693 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:20 pm

Viterra are reviving rail freight after closing it in 2019.

https://indaily.com.au/news/2022/11/03/ ... peninsula/

Interesting tidbit:
Shaw gave evidence before an ongoing parliamentary select committee on public and active transport in September, saying a whistleblower in the Department of Transport and Infrastructure had told her that reports favouring rail were being ‘buried’.

The department denied the claims.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#694 Post by MT269 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:33 pm

In regards to the 'whistle blower' in the article, it would make sense for such suggestions to have been turned back prior to the election. But perhaps Labor are just as anti-rail as the Libs. They haven't done anything to improve PT, except for making rail sub services free.

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#695 Post by cocoiadrop » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:38 pm

Victoria is continuing to show a fantastic standard in regards to regional transport with their expansion of Myki to the entire state, introduction of cheaper fares, and "high" frequency weekend timetables. I'd hope Labor see some of their neighbour's work and start to at least expand buses via metroCARD to the Fleurieu, Mount Lofty Ranges, and mid north. It would be a largely inexpensive way of bringing far better connectivity.

SBD

#696 Post by SBD » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:24 am

Viterra are also demolishing silo blocks in the mid north, some next to standard gauge rail. The Long Plains silos have been getting demolished for weeks (I'm not sure if it's finished), and Mallala and Hamley Bridge are to follow apparently.

Roseworthy has an enormous bunker complex adjacent to the former broad gauge railway station, but it gets emptied by road trains.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#697 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:19 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:24 am
Viterra are also demolishing silo blocks in the mid north, some next to standard gauge rail. The Long Plains silos have been getting demolished for weeks (I'm not sure if it's finished), and Mallala and Hamley Bridge are to follow apparently.

Roseworthy has an enormous bunker complex adjacent to the former broad gauge railway station, but it gets emptied by road trains.
Roseworthy may be the last freight facility on the broad gauge network. The dual gauge was removed from the Dry Creek - Lefevre line several years ago and the BG access to Dry Creek N & S yards was removed in the Gawler electrification work.

SBD

#698 Post by SBD » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:16 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:19 pm
SBD wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:24 am

Roseworthy may be the last freight facility on the broad gauge network. The dual gauge was removed from the Dry Creek - Lefevre line several years ago and the BG access to Dry Creek N & S yards was removed in the Gawler electrification work.
Owen silos still get used and have broad gauge track next to them, but it's a long time since they had a train. I think the Hamley Bridge silos are to be demolished but there might be bunkers continuing to be used.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#699 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:59 pm

$700 million seems too little to rebuild and regauge the 700 km or so long network. If they want to connect it to Whyalla, that would add another 150 km and the connection itself would be over $700 million.

Iron Road has mentioned they might connect their mine to Whyalla by rail. If that happens, then the Whyalla connection with the rest of the Eyre Peninsula Railway is easy.
https://ironroadlimited.com.au/index.ph ... cape-hardy

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#700 Post by SRW » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:57 pm

Viterra and Aurizon seeking $220 million in federal funds to reopen Eyre peninsula freight rail:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2023- ... /102073432

Obviously, support reopening rail, but I'm a bit fuzzy about whose asset it is (SA-owned, but privately leased?) and why the private companies aren't prepared to stump up any money.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#701 Post by Spotto » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:24 am

SRW wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:57 pm
Viterra and Aurizon seeking $220 million in federal funds to reopen Eyre peninsula freight rail:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2023- ... /102073432

Obviously, support reopening rail, but I'm a bit fuzzy about whose asset it is (SA-owned, but privately leased?) and why the private companies aren't prepared to stump up any money.
There are two components of rail operation; "above rail" (freight train operators) and "below rail" (infrastructure, timetabling, etc). To keep it easy, treat below rail as de facto "ownership".

The private company will only invest money if it will make them money in return. Otherwise the infrastructure is left to deteriorate to the bare minimum safe operating conditions (the old Stone Train, former Eyre Peninsula grain trains), or abandoned entirely.

The main lines to Port Augusta and Wolseley are owned and controlled by the Federal Government. All but one line outside of the Adelaide Metro network are owned by the SA Government but the operational and "dormant" (abandoned but not officially closed) ones are leased.

These lines are leased above and below rail to Aurizon until 2047, when control reverts to the SA Government:
  • Eyre Peninsula network
  • Apamurra, Loxton and Pinnaroo lines
  • the lines beyond Gawler to the Barossa, Kapunda, Burra and Balaklava
The Whyalla Tramway to the mines is owned by the Steelworks and is leased above and below rail to Aurizon.

Pichi Richi Railway and the Victor Harbor line are owned by the SA Government but leased to heritage railways.

claybro

#702 Post by claybro » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:15 pm

As a result of the discussion on the Gather round thread relating to regional matches, Out of curiosity I googled Adelaide to Mount Gambier, due to a comment on the proximity (ease of travel) from Melbourne to Mt Gambier. To say I was blown away is an understatement. Using Google Maps as a search, for public transport Adelaide -Mount Gambier- It actually directs you to travel to Melbourne, then train/bus Melbourne to Mt Gambier. How are we to promote the regions to international tourists if this is the best we can do? Yes there is a direct bus, but using Google-did not easily find the option. It is beyond sad the state of regional rail in SA, and it really holds back regional developement. I also wonder, how many residents in Mt Gambier now to to Melbourne in preference to Adelaide? We might as well just re-draw the border and give Mt Gambier to Victoria.

SBD

#703 Post by SBD » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:57 pm

claybro wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:15 pm
As a result of the discussion on the Gather round thread relating to regional matches, Out of curiosity I googled Adelaide to Mount Gambier, due to a comment on the proximity (ease of travel) from Melbourne to Mt Gambier. To say I was blown away is an understatement. Using Google Maps as a search, for public transport Adelaide -Mount Gambier- It actually directs you to travel to Melbourne, then train/bus Melbourne to Mt Gambier. How are we to promote the regions to international tourists if this is the best we can do? Yes there is a direct bus, but using Google-did not easily find the option. It is beyond sad the state of regional rail in SA, and it really holds back regional development. I also wonder, how many residents in Mt Gambier now to to Melbourne in preference to Adelaide? We might as well just re-draw the border and give Mt Gambier to Victoria.
I assume this is the intent of the Victorian Government including Mount Gambier in it's Fairer Regional Transport fares. Mount Gambier is roughly the same distance from both Melbourne and Adelaide.There's already a sliver of Victoria that had originally been planned to be in South Australia on paper maps, but the surveyors on the ground put it in Victoria. Serviceton is in that disputed territory. See South Australia–Victoria border dispute

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#704 Post by rev » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:34 pm

claybro wrote:
As a result of the discussion on the Gather round thread relating to regional matches, Out of curiosity I googled Adelaide to Mount Gambier, due to a comment on the proximity (ease of travel) from Melbourne to Mt Gambier. To say I was blown away is an understatement. Using Google Maps as a search, for public transport Adelaide -Mount Gambier- It actually directs you to travel to Melbourne, then train/bus Melbourne to Mt Gambier. How are we to promote the regions to international tourists if this is the best we can do? Yes there is a direct bus, but using Google-did not easily find the option. It is beyond sad the state of regional rail in SA, and it really holds back regional developement. I also wonder, how many residents in Mt Gambier now to to Melbourne in preference to Adelaide? We might as well just re-draw the border and give Mt Gambier to Victoria.
Said it before as well, we need to improve direct access to our regions by road and rail.
But you'll see it all falls on deaf ears in South Australia.
"we're are we going to find the money" will be the among the top 3 excuses. :lol:

SBD

#705 Post by SBD » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:54 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:34 pm
claybro wrote:
Said it before as well, we need to improve direct access to our regions by road and rail.
But you'll see it all falls on deaf ears in South Australia.
"we're are we going to find the money" will be the among the top 3 excuses. :lol:
If "they" decide they want to find the money, then they will find a business case to demonstrate the increased economic activity associated with cheaper and more useful regional public transport.