News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2881 Post by Ho Really » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:42 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:13 pm
I've recently booked a flight on Singapore Airlines and even two months ahead the plane is almost booked out. Meanwhile, the same flight out of Melbourne is priced cheaper and has fewer bookings. Surely it's time to increase the frequency or get some more carriers on board, because the demand is clearly there.
Well Singapore Airlines will have to reinstate SQ276/277 sooner than later then.
SQ276 ADL 18:50 - SIN 22:55.
Short layover and best option for anyone wanting to fly to Europe:

SIN 00:15 - CDG 07:15
SIN 00:20 - CPH 07:15
SIN 00:25 - MUC 06:40
SIN 01:10 - LHR 07:20
SIN 01:30 - ZRH 07:50
SIN 02:05 - FCO 08:20
SIN 02:05 - IST 08:40
SIN 02:10 - MAN 08:35

Bit tight for:

SIN 23:45 - MXP 05:55+1 (BCN 08:55)
SIN 23:55 - FRA 06:20+1
SIN 23:55 - AMS 06:45+1

and a late arrival for an overnight hotel stay in Singapore but we can't be choosers.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#2882 Post by Ho Really » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:45 pm

rubberman wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:50 am
[...]

One thing to note is there's no mention of shifting the airport.
Not going to happen until Adelaide hits the same population as Melbourne and Sydney, perhaps Brisbane/Gold Coast if you are lucky.

Cheers

Ho Really

#2883 Post by Ho Really » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:47 pm

abc wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:11 pm
I suspect New Delhi will trump London before too long
Will it be the Indians or Australians first?

Cheers

abc
Legendary Member!

#2884 Post by abc » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:43 am

Ho Really wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:47 pm
abc wrote:

Cheers
first what?

rubberman

#2885 Post by rubberman » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:27 am

abc wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:43 am
Ho Really wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:47 pm
abc wrote:

Cheers
first what?

Much of outbound traffic from Australia goes to London. However, there's a lot of traffic from India. So, which of those will be the first to have an international connection from Adelaide? I suspect that Ho was speaking tongue in cheek, after all, while a direct connection to India is possible, such a flight to London isn't atm.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2886 Post by AG » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:37 am

Worth noting that a flight from Adelaide to Delhi was already trialled on a temporary basis in 2022 by Qantas. Adelaide was a stopover to Delhi from Melbourne and Sydney on outbound flights until the larger planes that could do that direct non-stop service were brought back into service.

Ho Really

#2887 Post by Ho Really » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:05 pm

rubberman wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:27 am
Much of outbound traffic from Australia goes to London. However, there's a lot of traffic from India. So, which of those will be the first to have an international connection from Adelaide? I suspect that Ho was speaking tongue in cheek, after all, while a direct connection to India is possible, such a flight to London isn't atm.
rubberman gets the prize. So abc who do you think will be the first? QANTAS or Air India?

If QANTAS, that will be the resumption of international flights that were dropped a long time ago and as AG said trialled recently.

Cheers

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#2888 Post by Saltwater » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:24 am

Air India placed a large Airbus and Boeing order just recently, but I think still unlikely to try Adelaide anytime soon.

As for Qantas, let's see if they can manage a direct Adelaide - Singapore flight before trying destinations further afield.

Speaking of Singapore Airlines - I suspect they do quite well with passengers travelling between India and Australia, and are happy to funnel through Changi from nine destinations in India and onto their Australia and NZ network to fill seats. It has to be a much more cost-effective model than flying many point-to-point services.

rubberman

#2889 Post by rubberman » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:38 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:24 am
Air India placed a large Airbus and Boeing order just recently, but I think still unlikely to try Adelaide anytime soon.

As for Qantas, let's see if they can manage a direct Adelaide - Singapore flight before trying destinations further afield.

Speaking of Singapore Airlines - I suspect they do quite well with passengers travelling between India and Australia, and are happy to funnel through Changi from nine destinations in India and onto their Australia and NZ network to fill seats. It has to be a much more cost-effective model than flying many point-to-point services.
The Singapore route is pretty competitive at the moment. Singapore Airlines has a very good established brand to there. Qantas would have to put up a good number of flights straight up to even have a chance. If it was only a few days a week, you'd have to think Singapore Airlines would still be more attractive. On the other hand, Qantas could start flights to India uncontested from Adelaide, and only needing a few flights a week to kick off. Frankly, Qantas has reasonable credibility for domestic flights in Adelaide, but it's been years since people here see it as international. Far easier to get on a SIA or Qatar or AirNZ plane.

Ho Really

#2890 Post by Ho Really » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:19 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:24 am

Interesting to know what say SIA will have if the board of Air India decide to fly to Adelaide direct. SIA has a 25.1% share in Air India. I suspect after March 2024 we will know more that's when SIA and Tata aim to complete the merger of Vistara (previously 49% owned by SIA) and Air India. Logically speaking if there will be a direct flight it would have to be either Mumbai or New Delhi.

As for SIA flying to India here are the current cities they fly to including those through their subsidiary Scoot and codeshares:

Ahmedabad
Amritsar (Scoot)
Bengaluru
Bhubaneswar (Codeshare)
Chennai
Coimbatore (Scoot)
Gawahati (Codeshare)
Hyderabad (SIA and Scoot)
Kochi
Kolkata
Lucknow (Codeshare)
Mumbai
New Delhi
Thiruvananthapuram (Scoot)
Tiruchirappalli (Scoot)
Varanasi (Codeshare)
Visakhapatnam (Scoot)

Cheers

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#2891 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:51 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:40 am
Here's the images from the article including the map of their target destinations.

image_2023-02-19_103953223.png

e8df933f0ce4c38e5ba08bd63054ef971e645772.jpg
I'm surprised Los Angeles is so low given it's where most Australia to USA flights end up. Most people going Adelaide to Los Angeles would be taking a connecting flight to somewhere else in the USA, so I'm guessing the thought behind this chart is people's end destination.

Direct flights to everywhere will always be low frequency, so you might not get a flight on the day you want to. Rather than trying to make as many Adelaide to X direct routes as possible, the airport should be trying to reduce the number of flights requiring two or more connections.

Also, flying Adelaide to America is faster over the Pacific.

Ho Really

#2892 Post by Ho Really » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:27 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:51 pm
[...]

Also, flying Adelaide to America is faster over the Pacific.
You mean the distance is shorter. Also there's no plane capable of flying to North America going westward without at least one stop. If you could fly westward into JFK or EWR and then fly out from SFO or LAX it would alleviate jetlag. Just saying.

Cheers

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#2893 Post by Jaymz » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:14 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:13 pm
I've recently booked a flight on Singapore Airlines and even two months ahead the plane is almost booked out. Meanwhile, the same flight out of Melbourne is priced cheaper and has fewer bookings. Surely it's time to increase the frequency or get some more carriers on board, because the demand is clearly there.
Just returned to Adelaide today on Singapore Airlines and it was packed, as was my flight to Singapore 10 days ago.

Pleasing to pull into the gate at Adelaide airport today alongside Qatar and Malaysia Airlines, something that would never have been seen 10 years ago.

jimbly
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2894 Post by jimbly » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:59 am

Sounds like we're losing the Doha- Auckland stopover with Qatar
Qatar Airways' last Adelaide to Auckland flight will take off on August 31st. During Qatar's time servicing the route, it offered the Boeing 777-300, allowing business class passengers to taste the Q-Suite product trans-Tasman.
https://simpleflying.com/qatar-airways- ... d-flights/

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2895 Post by AG » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:09 am

jimbly wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:59 am
Sounds like we're losing the Doha- Auckland stopover with Qatar
Qatar Airways' last Adelaide to Auckland flight will take off on August 31st. During Qatar's time servicing the route, it offered the Boeing 777-300, allowing business class passengers to taste the Q-Suite product trans-Tasman.
https://simpleflying.com/qatar-airways- ... d-flights/
Not necessarily a bad move as it frees up capacity for Adelaide international travellers heading on to Europe and Africa that otherwise would have been taken up by travellers originating from Auckland. Also potentially opens up options for Air New Zealand or even Jetstar to expand Auckland to Adelaide services (or even a service to Christchurch). However, time will tell whether there is sufficient demand to maintain a daily service from Adelaide to Doha (could argue there are two if you count the wacky service which flies to and from Melbourne first before flying on to Doha).