Gepps Cross intersection

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
MT269
High Rise Poster!

Gepps Cross intersection

#1 Post by MT269 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:41 am

Is there anything on the cards for this unofficial carpark which is devoid of meters? Everytime I venture through it, it just reminds how this city is stuck in the dark ages in some ways. I couldn't find a thread on it.

I don't think the former Hungry Jacks site needs another OTR occupying it. I think the space could be better used for a long needed upgrade of the intersection.

Just my 2c worth.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

Re: Gepps Cross intersection

#2 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:53 pm

The number of paths vehicles can take through an intersection is n*(n-1), where n is the number of roads leading to the intersection. A normal four road intersection has 12 possible paths, five roads like Gepps Cross has 20. The traffic lights need to give each of these 20 paths a go every cycle, so it's slower than a normal intersection. Not much can be done about it except grade-separation.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

Re: Gepps Cross intersection

#3 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:21 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:53 pm
The number of paths vehicles can take through an intersection is n*(n-1), where n is the number of roads leading to the intersection. A normal four road intersection has 12 possible paths, five roads like Gepps Cross has 20. The traffic lights need to give each of these 20 paths a go every cycle, so it's slower than a normal intersection. Not much can be done about it except grade-separation.
18 possible paths, with 3 of them not signalised, so 15 signalised paths. Your point still stands though, not a great deal that can be done with traffic light timings alone.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation