News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
abc
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#2746 Post by abc » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:55 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:51 am
I'm glad we don't have a stadium that doesn't have the "nicecities" of a covered roof or air-conditioning or TVs in front of your seat or whatever bullshit.

There's something about the nit and grit of going to a footy game in the pelting rain, in your raincoats, on the hill having a few beers and banters with your mates like it's a local footy game, but it's AFL, that no other AFL stadium can offer. To some that seems depressing, but to me, and I'm sure, several others, that's what footy is well and truly about. You go to the game, you barrack for your team, sunshine, rain or hail or whatever, and you do it for the love of the sport. Not the stadium. Adelaide Oval has got its atmosphere setting perfectly right and has an offering that is second to none that no other stadium in Australia can match. It's brilliant. Haters can hate. I wouldn't trade what we've got for anything in the world.
that's what Unley Oval is for

I'd expect more for $500 million of taxpayer money though

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2747 Post by Nort » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:43 pm

abc wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:55 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:51 am
I'm glad we don't have a stadium that doesn't have the "nicecities" of a covered roof or air-conditioning or TVs in front of your seat or whatever bullshit.

There's something about the nit and grit of going to a footy game in the pelting rain, in your raincoats, on the hill having a few beers and banters with your mates like it's a local footy game, but it's AFL, that no other AFL stadium can offer. To some that seems depressing, but to me, and I'm sure, several others, that's what footy is well and truly about. You go to the game, you barrack for your team, sunshine, rain or hail or whatever, and you do it for the love of the sport. Not the stadium. Adelaide Oval has got its atmosphere setting perfectly right and has an offering that is second to none that no other stadium in Australia can match. It's brilliant. Haters can hate. I wouldn't trade what we've got for anything in the world.
that's what Unley Oval is for

I'd expect more for $500 million of taxpayer money though
For 500 million we could have had a whole third of an Optus stadium! :lol:

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#2748 Post by Prodical » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:34 pm

The last 2 SCAP meetings and the one happening this week have very little of substance to approve. The major proposals for the CBD seem to have dried up and I was hoping that the Masonic redevelopment would have been proposed in the first quarter of 2023.

It all seems a bit too quiet - and there are many already approved projects (1-8 North Tce apartments; the Wyndham Grand hotel; the Pulteney St tallest building; Kings Head hotel; - they have all gone quiet.

Uncle Monty
High Rise Poster!

#2749 Post by Uncle Monty » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:49 am

Looks as though The Tivoli on Pirie St is being renovated and will hopefully be reopening soon. What a fantastic band venue it was back in the 90’s!! Not sure what is currently planned for the site, but it was a restaurant for a while after the apartment building behind it was built.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2750 Post by timtam20292 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:43 pm

Does anyone know what’s been going on at 147 Gilbert Street? Directly opposite the back of my place and they’ve been renovating the warehouse for a few months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2751 Post by rev » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:36 pm

timtam20292 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:43 pm
Does anyone know what’s been going on at 147 Gilbert Street? Directly opposite the back of my place and they’ve been renovating the warehouse for a few months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://plan.sa.gov.au/development_appl ... 036543-DAP

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2752 Post by Ben » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:55 pm

Quick google of the applicants shows them both being tattoo artists so I’m going to take a stab and guess it’s a tattoo shop. Seems to be a lot popping up in the city especially in the south western corner lately.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2753 Post by Pikey » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:41 am

Looks like a couple of significant re-cladding jobs are about to commence.

1 King William Street.

https://hindmarsh.com.au/project/1-king ... ecladding/

Roma Mitchell house.

https://hindmarsh.com.au/project/roma-m ... adding-sa/
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Llessur2002

#2754 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:02 am

Given they only re-clad 1KWS a few years ago I presume it's one of the buildings identified with the combustible cladding.

To be honest it hasn't resulted in the nicest looking building for such a prominent corner so fingers crossed the new cladding ends up with a slightly classier result.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#2755 Post by Mpol02 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:46 pm

Now if they can do the Hyatt and Stanford, we’d be on our way.

Thanks for sharing

Patrick_27

#2756 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:15 pm

Pikey wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:41 am
Looks like a couple of significant re-cladding jobs are about to commence.

1 King William Street.

https://hindmarsh.com.au/project/1-king ... ecladding/
Glad to see 1 KWS is getting another makeover, the last attempt was foul. I know the consensus on here was that the cladding necessary due to the deterioration of the original facade, but I almost believe it’s a worthwhile investment for those who own the building to consider a heritage restoration. This building has a lot of history and is certainly a product of its time, architecturally speaking.

Llessur2002

#2757 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:23 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:15 pm
Glad to see 1 KWS is getting another makeover, the last attempt was foul. I know the consensus on here was that the cladding necessary due to the deterioration of the original facade, but I almost believe it’s a worthwhile investment for those who own the building to consider a heritage restoration. This building has a lot of history and is certainly a product of its time, architecturally speaking.
I agree. The existing re-cladding job looks cheap and nasty. At least the new version looks a little more sympathetic to the original vertical lines of the building, hopefully the quality will be higher and there will be less orange involved.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#2758 Post by dbl96 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:16 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:23 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
I agree. The existing re-cladding job looks cheap and nasty. At least the new version looks a little more sympathetic to the original vertical lines of the building, hopefully the quality will be higher and there will be less orange involved.
They completely butchered this building when they ripped off the straight line granite facade and put on those weird orange jagged bits. Goodness knows why anybody ever though it was a good idea. It turned what was one of Adelaide's most attractive 20th century highrises into one of the ugliest.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2759 Post by timtam20292 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:53 pm

Thanks Ben and Rev.

Llessur2002

#2760 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:54 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
I know the consensus on here was that the cladding necessary due to the deterioration of the original facade, but I almost believe it’s a worthwhile investment for those who own the building to consider a heritage restoration.
I never actually noticed it at the time (despite actually working in the building) but you can see on this Streetview image from 2013 how many of the stone panels were held on with additional fixings. It must have been fairly bad.

Hopefully the replacement cladding will be of a higher quality - time will tell on that front I guess. At least the individual window fins have gone, they make it look messy and detract too much from the vertical lines.