This forum is full of Q&A cultists

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
abc
Legendary Member!

This forum is full of Q&A cultists

#1 Post by abc » Wed May 24, 2023 7:46 pm

if it moves and it disagrees with you, you call it a racist

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: This forum is full of Q&A cultists

#2 Post by Algernon » Wed May 24, 2023 8:21 pm

jog on then

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3 Post by rev » Thu May 25, 2023 10:43 am

Q&A is good, we need more of that sort of open discourse as a society.
Shame Stan Grant has left.

abc
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by abc » Fri May 26, 2023 2:50 am

rev wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:43 am
Q&A is good, we need more of that sort of open discourse as a society.
Shame Stan Grant has left.
if you think that show is open discourse then you're even more gullible than I thought

Llessur2002

#5 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri May 26, 2023 11:49 am

I had no problem with Stan Grant as presenter, although I do miss the days of Tony Jones - he did a good job of giving both sides of the discussion equal time to talk and had a good questioning/listening style which kept the show pretty free flowing and balanced. I don't think any of the later presenters have quite been able to achieve this.

The bit I can't stand about Q&A now is that bloody Twitter ticker - it's so distracting for someone with a non multi-tasking brain like me. If I really wanted to know what the general public think about the show in real time I'd follow along on my mobile - but in reality I'm not really fussed about what @jim69 in NSW thinks about tax cuts.

I'd love for TV manufacturers to introduce a function which obscures the bottom few cm of the TV set to hide tickers and the like. When Q&A first introduced it I used to whip out a strip of Christmas wrapping paper to cover it up:

It also feels that many issues have become so incredibly polarised these days so what used to be an interesting show to watch has just become stressful. For these reasons I've dropped from a weekly viewer to rarely tuning in any more.

Nort

#6 Post by Nort » Fri May 26, 2023 12:50 pm

abc wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:46 pm
Can you link to an example?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#7 Post by rev » Fri May 26, 2023 1:30 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 11:49 am
I had no problem with Stan Grant as presenter, although I do miss the days of Tony Jones - he did a good job of giving both sides of the discussion equal time to talk and had a good questioning/listening style which kept the show pretty free flowing and balanced. I don't think any of the later presenters have quite been able to achieve this.

The bit I can't stand about Q&A now is that bloody Twitter ticker - it's so distracting for someone with a non multi-tasking brain like me. If I really wanted to know what the general public think about the show in real time I'd follow along on my mobile - but in reality I'm not really fussed about what @jim69 in NSW thinks about tax cuts.

I'd love for TV manufacturers to introduce a function which obscures the bottom few cm of the TV set to hide tickers and the like. When Q&A first introduced it I used to whip out a strip of Christmas wrapping paper to cover it up:

It also feels that many issues have become so incredibly polarised these days so what used to be an interesting show to watch has just become stressful. For these reasons I've dropped from a weekly viewer to rarely tuning in any more.
Tony Jones days were good too.
I like the format of the show overall, bringing opposing view points together in the same room with a moderator (trying to) keep them in check. Broadcast nationally.
Think it's good and necessary particularly for issues and matters of national concern.

The twitter think I think is obviously to let home viewers engage with the show?
Couldn't you change the aspect ratio on your tv from the remote? That usually cuts out the edges.

Llessur2002

Has Q&A lost its edge?

#8 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri May 26, 2023 2:06 pm

rev wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 1:30 pm
I like the format of the show overall, bringing opposing view points together in the same room with a moderator (trying to) keep them in check. Broadcast nationally.
Think it's good and necessary particularly for issues and matters of national concern.

The twitter think I think is obviously to let home viewers engage with the show?
Couldn't you change the aspect ratio on your tv from the remote? That usually cuts out the edges.
Ah, it's not a massive deal really but I just think it adds another dimension (and clutter) to a show that didn't really need one. I'm probably getting a bit fusty in my old age (early 40s) but everything in life seems to be steadily dumbing down to 140 character snippets of usually unnecessary commentary being splashed around at every opportunity. If I tune into Q&A it's because I want to hear a debate between people who usually have a direct link to the topic and I don't see what value is added by the accompanying barrage of brain farts from viewers along the lines of "all politicians should be forced to live on the minimum wage for a week", "I'll never have a COVID vaccine - too many risks" and "stop tax cuts for the rich, abolish negative gearing instead". To me it's just the text equivalent of allowing the studio audience to heckle the panel throughout the program.

What's wrong with just enjoying the program for what it is, without feeling the need to mash some half-baked thought into Twitter at the same time?

If they want viewers at home to have a chance to engage with the show, isn't the ability to submit a question beforehand enough?

Moan over - I'll shuffle back to my old people's home now.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by timtam20292 » Fri May 26, 2023 3:48 pm

The whole of the ABC has lost its edge.

abc
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by abc » Fri May 26, 2023 4:22 pm

Nort wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 12:50 pm
abc wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:46 pm
Can you link to an example?
viewtopic.php?t=4755&start=1020

abc
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by abc » Fri May 26, 2023 4:23 pm

rev wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 1:30 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 11:49 am

:lol: just stop please you're killing me here

abc
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by abc » Fri May 26, 2023 8:33 pm

qanda is one of the most manipulative pieces of propaganda delivery on television

"opposing viewpoints" :hilarious:

Aidan

#13 Post by Aidan » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:43 pm

The tweets are gone, and I want them back!
And when they are, I want it broadcast live here again, so that Croweaters have the same chance of scoring a tweet as Easterners.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Llessur2002

#14 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:50 am

Aidan wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:43 pm
The tweets are gone, and I want them back!
And when they are, I want it broadcast live here again, so that Croweaters have the same chance of scoring a tweet as Easterners.
I noticed that! The show was so much nicer to watch because if it. I hope it's gone forever and wasn't just one-off technical glitch.

Edit: YAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!

abc
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by abc » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:21 pm

they didn't like getting called out for their BS so now they're taking their bat and ball