News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Elvis
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

#721 Post by Elvis » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:16 pm

The lord mayor states that she is against the stables on parklands because people want running tracks, bike tracks, etc - but I can't run or ride my bike through the private stables on the north adelaide parklands.

Her position on this is the height of hypocrisy.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#722 Post by Ben » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:19 pm

Elvis wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:16 pm
The lord mayor states that she is against the stables on parklands because people want running tracks, bike tracks, etc - but I can't run or ride my bike through the private stables on the north adelaide parklands.

Those are the things that will be lost by this new proposal. Totally separate issue.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#723 Post by Nort » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:48 pm

Elvis wrote:

Which stables are you referring to?

Also imagine you either didn't read the linked article, or are intentionally misrepresenting what she said, because the difference is directly called out, that horses being in an underused paddock currently is entirely different to building a whole heap of permanent infrastructure that fences off a currently open area and locks in that use for decades to come.

ChillyPhilly

#724 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:50 pm

For anyone interested:

SATURDAY, 1 APRIL 2023 AT 9:30 AM
Tell them to stop the attacks!
Wallis Cinema Piccadilly North Adelaide

The Premier Peter Malinauskas and the member for Adelaide, Lucy Hood are offering to listen to you and your concerns at a one-off event. This is your opportunity to directly speak to the Premier about repeated attacks by his Government on your Open, Green, Public Park Lands.
There is likely to be very strong demand for this event. To secure your place, you need to book through the office of Lucy Hood MP. Ph 8269 1838 or email [email protected]
Facebook has listed the Adelaide Park Lands Association as "hosting" this event but this is incorrect and we are not able to change it.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Elvis
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#725 Post by Elvis » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:40 pm

Nort wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:48 pm
Elvis wrote:

Which stables are you referring to?

Also imagine you either didn't read the linked article, or are intentionally misrepresenting what she said, because the difference is directly called out, that horses being in an underused paddock currently is entirely different to building a whole heap of permanent infrastructure that fences off a currently open area and locks in that use for decades to come.
The Northern parklands with the horses is "underused" because it is reserved for the exclusive use of residents within 2km (not even all residents of the City of Adelaide Council area - just those within 2kms and who have a horse).

The proposed area for the ambos HQ is also under used.

The only parklands areas which are used are those with infrastructure in place.

Nathan

#726 Post by Nathan » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:34 pm

Announcement on the aquatic centre incoming. Malinauskas, Mulligan, Kouts and Lucy Hood all in attendance.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#727 Post by SRW » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:59 pm

DIT project page including video:
https://dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/ad ... tic_centre

Project cost $130 million. No diving facilities, however, so will not replace the state centre at Marion.
FyOu2v7acAAq98B.jpeg
FyOu2v9aEAA51K6.jpeg
FyOu2v6aYAAiPDY.jpeg
Last edited by SRW on Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#728 Post by SRW » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:59 pm

FyOu2v4aUAEtNNa.jpeg
These claims seem a little sly:
Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 1.01.57 pm.png
Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 1.01.29 pm.png
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#729 Post by Nathan » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:12 pm

:?
the existing Aquatic Centre will now close in August 2024 until the project’s completion in late 2025.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#730 Post by Eurostar » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:45 pm

Adelaide City Council ought to lift the bus/truck ban on Barton Terrace then, the current bus zone for charters is on Fitzroy Terrace.

ChillyPhilly

#731 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:57 pm

So the main entrance is, still, a carpark.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Patrick_27

#732 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:57 pm

Call me a cynic, but why bother? The design is so-so, however at the end of the day this doesn't provide an outstanding centre... Better facilities than what's there, sure, but for starters it's nowhere near O'Connell Street which should have been the primary objective. IF not on the reasoning that light rail may one day end up running through North Adelaide, do it for the fact that there are so many more transit opportunities with Prospect and Main North Road(s); haing taken the bus to O'Connell Street and walked to the Aquatic Centre at dusk, it's not pleasant but rather unnerving.

This plan almost seems as though they're trying to further reaffirm the status of the Rann government's white elephant at Marion as the state's main aquatic centre and in doing so undermining the potential for this facility to be be a part of the resurrection of O'Connell Street, whilst host great international events and IF we were to ever host a Commonwealth Games, have the premier swimming facility a stone's throw from Adelaide Oval.

To me, this is as half-baked as the previous government's Memorial Drive redevelopment. Either build it right, or don't build it at all. If the residents of North Adelaide don't see the sense in building a bigger facility, hold out and let them see the error of their ways with a decline in popularity of nearby O'Connell Street.

Patrick_27

#733 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:00 pm

SRW wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:59 pm
DIT project page including video:
https://dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/ad ... tic_centre

Project cost $130 million. No diving facilities, however, so will not replace the state centre at Marion.

FyOu2v7acAAq98B.jpegFyOu2v9aEAA51K6.jpegFyOu2v6aYAAiPDY.jpeg
The link does say there are diving facilities, perhaps not to the same height as currently on offer.

Nathan

#734 Post by Nathan » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:10 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:57 pm
Call me a cynic, but why bother? The design is so-so, however at the end of the day this doesn't provide an outstanding centre... Better facilities than what's there, sure, but for starters it's nowhere near O'Connell Street which should have been the primary objective. IF not on the reasoning that light rail may one day end up running through North Adelaide, do it for the fact that there are so many more transit opportunities with Prospect and Main North Road(s); haing taken the bus to O'Connell Street and walked to the Aquatic Centre at dusk, it's not pleasant but rather unnerving.

This plan almost seems as though they're trying to further reaffirm the status of the Rann government's white elephant at Marion as the state's main aquatic centre and in doing so undermining the potential for this facility to be be a part of the resurrection of O'Connell Street, whilst host great international events and IF we were to ever host a Commonwealth Games, have the premier swimming facility a stone's throw from Adelaide Oval.

To me, this is as half-baked as the previous government's Memorial Drive redevelopment. Either build it right, or don't build it at all. If the residents of North Adelaide don't see the sense in building a bigger facility, hold out and let them see the error of their ways with a decline in popularity of nearby O'Connell Street.
It all seems that the primary design objective is "reuse the existing car park".

Algernon

#735 Post by Algernon » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:29 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:10 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:57 pm

It all seems that the primary design objective is "reuse the existing car park".
If "reclaiming parkland" was truly a design objective, significant portions of the centre would be built above car parking.

Or they'd build it somewhere near public transport so there wouldn't be a need for such car parking capacity in the first place.

Bizarre claim for them to make. But underdstandable, considering the audience they pitch the design to is likely sitting there thinking "yep, ahem, yep, ahem, right, ok, yep, so how many car parks does it have?"