News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ursus Maritimus
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#2866 Post by Ursus Maritimus » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:12 pm

Whatever they do with the clock tower, I'm sure they will find a way to make the result utterly unimaginative and grotesque.

I'm sounding like an old fart here, but I agree that aesthetics in general have gone backwards. Look at what people wear these days in the street versus (say) in 1960. What passes for residential design is garbage too.

But there are still many beautiful buildings going up. I just get annoyed when every second renovation goes straight to dark grey.

Yuri
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2867 Post by Yuri » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:16 pm

Uncle Monty wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:49 am
Looks as though The Tivoli on Pirie St is being renovated and will hopefully be reopening soon. What a fantastic band venue it was back in the 90’s!! Not sure what is currently planned for the site, but it was a restaurant for a while after the apartment building behind it was built.
I live at 297 Pirie and asked the tradesman the other day. It’s being changed to office space. :(

relapse
Gold-Member ;)

#2868 Post by relapse » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:37 pm

Speaking of the Myer Centre clock tower, ever since that building has been built I have wondered what was in that office space that's next to the clock tower and how to access it.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2869 Post by rev » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:58 pm

relapse wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:37 pm
Speaking of the Myer Centre clock tower, ever since that building has been built I have wondered what was in that office space that's next to the clock tower and how to access it.
I know part of it was a state government department with staffers and what not.
Cant remember exactly as that was quite a few years ago.
Dont think there's public access.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#2870 Post by phenom » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:35 pm

relapse wrote:
Access is direct from North Terrace and also direct from the Myer Centre car park. Used to be state govt (and some small fed govt) back in the day, including at one point the Premier's office (in the Olsen era). Following them, Adelaide Uni took over most of the building (with potentially I think some law firm on one or two floors). Then at least Adelaide Uni vacated when the health building near SAHMRI got finished and potentially my recall was that it was some sort of animation/3d studio type business that moved in. That was circa 2017 tho so I don't know what happened since then.

Level 11 is currently up for rent and you can get a feel for the views from the pictures included in the ad - https://www.commercialrealestate.com.au ... 0-15791150

In the multiple times I worked there, you could mostly access several of the floors (first floor is 'level 7' and top floor is 'level 12') without access card but you would mostly exit the lift into a foyer with either a reception or just doors requiring keycard access to get anywhere. Nice enough view from the 'corridor' between the lifts and the actual office section though.

bearhunta
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2871 Post by bearhunta » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:54 pm

relapse wrote:
https://indaily.com.au/news/business/20 ... %20Terrace

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2872 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:29 am

phenom wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:35 pm
Access is direct from North Terrace and also direct from the Myer Centre car park. Used to be state govt (and some small fed govt) back in the day, including at one point the Premier's office (in the Olsen era). Following them, Adelaide Uni took over most of the building (with potentially I think some law firm on one or two floors). Then at least Adelaide Uni vacated when the health building near SAHMRI got finished and potentially my recall was that it was some sort of animation/3d studio type business that moved in. That was circa 2017 tho so I don't know what happened since then.
Maybe I've completely missed it but I'm not aware of the Uni of Adelaide having any tenancy in the Myer Centre, certainly not in the last 10 years. Are you thinking of Rundle Mall Plaza next door? UoA has rented two floors in there for around the last decade or so, with staff from the School of Public Health currently occupying part of one of the floors.

I'll ask around though - I'll be annoyed if we did have a presence there as I would have liked to have gone in for a nose around...

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#2873 Post by phenom » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:21 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:29 am
phenom wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:35 pm
Maybe I've completely missed it but I'm not aware of the Uni of Adelaide having any tenancy in the Myer Centre, certainly not in the last 10 years. Are you thinking of Rundle Mall Plaza next door? UoA has rented two floors in there for around the last decade or so, with staff from the School of Public Health currently occupying part of one of the floors.

I'll ask around though - I'll be annoyed if we did have a presence there as I would have liked to have gone in for a nose around...
Hey there. It was definitely Terrace Towers - but yes it was School of Public Health. On at least floor 7 and 11 from memory. I also worked in TT for about a decade in the early 2000s so I knew the place very well (sadly!).

Llessur2002

#2874 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:45 pm

phenom wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:21 pm
Hey there. It was definitely Terrace Towers - but yes it was School of Public Health. On at least floor 7 and 11 from memory. I also worked in TT for about a decade in the early 2000s so I knew the place very well (sadly!).
Damn, I missed an opportunity for a self-guided tour there!

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2875 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:57 pm

Star of Siam on Gouger Street is having their floor replaced.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#2876 Post by Jaymz » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:02 pm

Article in yesterdays online version of The Advertiser about refurb of 45 Pirie Street....

Curated Capital secures Holman Hodge for Pirie St tower as $25m upgrade kicks off
A largely vacant office tower in the middle of the CBD will undergo a $25m revamp after securing its first new tenant.

Giuseppe Tauriello
July 3, 2023 - 4:25PM
The Australian Business Network

Curated Capital has kicked off a $25m upgrade of its Pirie St office tower after securing its first new tenant for the building.

The fund manager and its investment partner, Sydney-based Realside Property, settled on its $76m acquisition of the 18-storey building at 45 Pirie St in May, with a refurbishment strategy designed to lease up the building’s vacant space.

Accounting firm Holman Hodge has been secured for 1200sq m across an entire floor of the 20,000sq m building, which has remained about 75 per cent vacant since the state Attorney-General’s department’s move to Charter Hall’s GPO Exchange tower in 2019.

Upgrade works recently began, and will include a new expansive foyer area and improved end-of-trip facilities, while 1000sq m of land on Gawler Place has been earmarked for future development of additional office space or apartment-hotel style accommodation.

Curated Capital director Alessio Roscio said talks with other potential tenants were progressing, with the building’s central location a key selling point.

“The location of this asset is one of the best in Adelaide’s core commercial business precinct,” he said.

“As part of our plans for the building upgrade, we’ll be focusing on creating spaces that connect the indoors with outside areas to enhance the experience for tenants.

“Adelaide is faring really well when it comes to attracting workers back into the office and developments like this one will make even more people want to return to the office environment.”

Curated Capital has released images of its development plans for the tower, and will begin a leasing campaign in the coming weeks.

Mr Roscio, the managing director of accounting firm RCR Partners, teamed up with property developer Pep Rocca to launch Curated Capital in 2021.

The Pirie St acquisition adds to the fund manager’s $500m portfolio of assets across Adelaide, including the soon-to-be completed COMO mixed-use development in Norwood, and a major biomedical and office development proposed for the former Coca-Cola site at Thebarton.

Mr Rocca said the appetite from commercial property investors remained strong, particularly for properties where there was an opportunity to add value through upgrades and repositioning.

“There are numerous investors in Adelaide who have significant cash reserves and who are consistently on the lookout for sound investment opportunities,” he said.

“We do of course need to take into consideration the higher cost of funds, but that’s why we look for undervalued assets and buildings that require upgrades that we can reposition to meet modern standards. This approach allows us to generate equity in our investments.

“And we always co-invest in our assets. We always have skin in the game.”

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#2877 Post by Prodical » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:33 pm

The upgrade of the Currie Street office (adjacent to Adelaide BMW) is almost complete. The external work is pretty well done - I iamgine teh fit out will take a while for medical suites. The building has been empty for 5+ years so good to see it leased.
Attachments
C 2.jpg
C 1.jpg

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#2878 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:43 pm

Piece about the future of the current WCH site in North Adelaide: https://indaily.com.au/news/2023/07/17/ ... r-old-wch/

Patrick_27

#2879 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:25 pm

The Victorian Government have announced this morning that they will be forfeiting the hosting obligations of the 2026 Commonwealth Games... This was almost immediately followed by statements from the Tasmanian and South Australian Governments stating that they would not be putting their hands up to host the event. Now, unless there is more to the story (in terms of a breakdown in talks between the International Commonwealth Games committee and the Australian counterparts) I can't see why any state would be so quick to shut the idea down. I know we all have opinions of these sorts of events and their value, but here me out...

Hypothetically, say SA and Tasmania launched a joint bid with Adelaide, Hobart and Launceston as the the main locations of events the shared infrastructure is already there albeit not to the best of world standards but workable and with minor investment could be brought up to the necessary standard. In Adelaide alone we have Adelaide Oval, Memorial Drive, Entertainment Centre, Convention Centre, SA Netball Stadium, Powerhouse, Hindmarsh Stadium, SA Aquatic Centre (Marion), SA Velodrome, the Pines Hockey Stadium, SA Athletics Stadium, Norwood Oval, West Lakes lake (rowing). We've previously bid on the Commonwealth Games for 1997 (with far less on the table in terms of sporting and transport infrastructure) and only lost due to a pity vote for Kuala Lumpur. With the short time frame to turn around this event, no one would be expecting too much but it well within our capabilities to deliver a more boutique style event similar to what Edinburgh or Birmingham put forward in recent years. In three years we could fastback projects already in the works - further expansion of Adelaide Airport's capabilities, tramline to Adelaide Oval and an athletics village could be built on the West End Brewery site with the longterm goal of it becoming affordable housing after the fact, would excel hotel projects in the CBD and surrounds. And if we pulled it off, we would prove that as a state we can turn around a major international event in an almost impossible timeline - the economic benefits would speak for themselves. Just because the Victorian government cited a $7bn price-tag doesn't necessarily mean SA and Tasmania couldn't do it for less, and we'd no doubt have $$ support from the Federal government in the process.

Again, it's already been shot down by Mali and his government but this is more of a 'what if?' conversation starter.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#2880 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:30 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:25 pm
The Victorian Government have announced this morning that they will be forfeiting the hosting obligations of the 2026 Commonwealth Games... This was almost immediately followed by statements from the Tasmanian and South Australian Governments stating that they would not be putting their hands up to host the event. Now, unless there is more to the story (in terms of a breakdown in talks between the International Commonwealth Games committee and the Australian counterparts) I can't see why any state would be so quick to shut the idea down. I know we all have opinions of these sorts of events and their value, but here me out...

Hypothetically, say SA and Tasmania launched a joint bid with Adelaide, Hobart and Launceston as the the main locations of events the shared infrastructure is already there albeit not to the best of world standards but workable and with minor investment could be brought up to the necessary standard. In Adelaide alone we have Adelaide Oval, Memorial Drive, Entertainment Centre, Convention Centre, SA Netball Stadium, Powerhouse, Hindmarsh Stadium, SA Aquatic Centre (Marion), SA Velodrome, the Pines Hockey Stadium, SA Athletics Stadium, Norwood Oval, West Lakes lake (rowing). We've previously bid on the Commonwealth Games for 1997 (with far less on the table in terms of sporting and transport infrastructure) and only lost due to a pity vote for Kuala Lumpur. With the short time frame to turn around this event, no one would be expecting too much but it well within our capabilities to deliver a more boutique style event similar to what Edinburgh or Birmingham put forward in recent years. In three years we could fastback projects already in the works - further expansion of Adelaide Airport's capabilities, tramline to Adelaide Oval and an athletics village could be built on the West End Brewery site with the longterm goal of it becoming affordable housing after the fact, would excel hotel projects in the CBD and surrounds. And if we pulled it off, we would prove that as a state we can turn around a major international event in an almost impossible timeline - the economic benefits would speak for themselves. Just because the Victorian government cited a $7bn price-tag doesn't necessarily mean SA and Tasmania couldn't do it for less, and we'd no doubt have $$ support from the Federal government in the process.

Again, it's already been shot down by Mali and his government but this is more of a 'what if?' conversation starter.
There’s a commonwealth games thread here: viewtopic.php?p=211860&sid=0b681c3a2ef5 ... 51#p211860