[COM] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#751 Post by claybro » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:09 pm

Not sure where to post this, but I note with dismay, they are still flogging that dead horse at Findon, the 36ers arena? Is it true? There could not be a worse location, tucked away off of a main arterial, hemmed in by low density housing with bugger all transport links. If true tge state government should step in and override it with some planning laws to put a stop to it. Rediculous!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#752 Post by SRW » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:41 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:09 pm
Not sure where to post this, but I note with dismay, they are still flogging that dead horse at Findon, the 36ers arena? Is it true? There could not be a worse location, tucked away off of a main arterial, hemmed in by low density housing with bugger all transport links. If true tge state government should step in and override it with some planning laws to put a stop to it. Rediculous!
What are you talking about?
Keep Adelaide Weird

claybro

#753 Post by claybro » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:48 pm

Plans are being submitted for a $20mil upgrade of the old 36ers arena at Findon, to become a “sporting and events Mecca” sorry, but this just makes no sense to me, given the lack of public transport, or other food and entertainment venues nearby, or even adequate road access. Surely a venue proposing a 9000 capacity should be made to be near a major transport link?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#754 Post by SRW » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:30 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:48 pm
Plans are being submitted for a $20mil upgrade of the old 36ers arena at Findon, to become a “sporting and events Mecca” sorry, but this just makes no sense to me, given the lack of public transport, or other food and entertainment venues nearby, or even adequate road access. Surely a venue proposing a 9000 capacity should be made to be near a major transport link?
I haven't seen this reported anywhere, but I'd agree Findon is a deadend venue. I thought the netball stadium in Mile End would be the next cab off the rank.
Keep Adelaide Weird

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#755 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:55 pm

This is the only thing I have seen about it, if someone is please able to post: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... our=append

abc
Legendary Member!

#756 Post by abc » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:03 am

so they will be leaving the facility they currently play at in Hindmarsh which accommodates 9300 spectators and sells out a couple times a season with fairly decent accessibility for that maze of dead end streets in Findon and back to that glorified shed that accommodates 7600? :oops:

https://glamadelaide.com.au/plans-progr ... velopment/
https://hdp-au-prod-app-ccs-yoursay-fil ... l_pack.pdf
Adelaide is the best location in Australia to shoot a drama set in the 60s

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#757 Post by Saltwater » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:41 am

I read the Advertiser article, it's over a year old and there is no mention of the 36'ers moving and playing games there, but it does mention "“we’ll basically turn the arena area from three to 22 courts and it will be able to engage with a much larger section of the sporting community.”. So it sounds like it's being turned into a community basketball centre, which makes sense given the popularity of the sport. I visited a similar sized centre in Melbourne recently, 15 courts, and they were all being used by various groups all day, every weekend.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#758 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:52 am

The 36ers Arena redevelopment is pretty much a private redevelopment by Pelligra right?

To be honest, I'd be surprised if the 36ers go back there to play matches. They've been packing out the Entertainment Centre of late (which is impressive given their form).

I don't see an issue with the re-development though. Ultimately, it looks like it'll be a very nice recreation centre/precinct that'll host state league netball (the Glam Adelaide article notes Garville are moving in), WNBL (the Lightning are back playing there, and are also owned by Pelligra), and a host of other events (I know the venue hosts a lot of cheerleading competitions, so I assume that'll continue).

Anyway, this could possibly move to a separate thread as it doesn't have much to do with Memorial Drive.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#759 Post by Eurostar » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:18 am

claybro wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:09 pm
Same could be said for the Netball stadium, with only the 720 stopping near it.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#760 Post by Eurostar » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:28 am

SRW wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:30 pm
claybro wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:48 pm
I haven't seen this reported anywhere, but I'd agree Findon is a deadend venue. I thought the netball stadium in Mile End would be the next cab off the rank.
Ideally Mile End would be best. You could divert Richmond Road buses and have shuttles from the City on match days.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#761 Post by A-Town » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:42 am

The 36ers would be mad if they moved their home matches back to Findon. But if they get a very favourable stadium deal, who knows what they might do.

The 36ers had record attendances last season at the Entertainment Centre including multiple sell outs. The growth of basketball here and nationwide in recent years has been quite spectacular.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#762 Post by Pikey » Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:13 pm

Just think of this development as a much larger scale of the ARC at Campbeltown, or Lights at Lightsview. Along with the Basketball SA expansion at Wayville this will add much needed courts to the extremely quickly growing Domestic, District, School and State basketball leagues.

The 36ers have no formed plans to move away from the Entertainment Centre.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

claybro

#763 Post by claybro » Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:32 pm

The issue is, not so much if the 36ers choose to play there or not, but given it’s stated capacity of 8-9000.. and if the owners are spending $20 million, they will be poaching concerts, and larger netball games etc that as a city, we need to decide if continued car dependence is the way to go? If the 36ers fall on hard times, and are offered a lifeline here, you can be guaranteed they will be back there also. Clearly this venue, ticks none of the boxes for ease of access, nor does it create any before or after game/concert activity. It is too big a venue for the location and should be canned even from an urban planning perspective.

Algernon

#764 Post by Algernon » Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:58 pm

abc
Legendary Member!

#765 Post by abc » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:26 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:52 am
The 36ers Arena redevelopment is pretty much a private redevelopment by Pelligra right?

To be honest, I'd be surprised if the 36ers go back there to play matches. They've been packing out the Entertainment Centre of late (which is impressive given their form).

I don't see an issue with the re-development though. Ultimately, it looks like it'll be a very nice recreation centre/precinct that'll host state league netball (the Glam Adelaide article notes Garville are moving in), WNBL (the Lightning are back playing there, and are also owned by Pelligra), and a host of other events (I know the venue hosts a lot of cheerleading competitions, so I assume that'll continue).

Anyway, this could possibly move to a separate thread as it doesn't have much to do with Memorial Drive.
shows how big a sport basketball has become in this country that the 36ers can still pull a crowd despite being a basketcase for most of the past decade or so
Adelaide is the best location in Australia to shoot a drama set in the 60s