M1 South-Eastern Freeway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: M1 South-Eastern Freeway

#31 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:04 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:36 am
I noticed yesterday when driving through that the new variable speed limit signs in the tunnel and on the approaches are bidirectional, ie they are on both sides of the gantry. You can see this in the renders if you look close enough.

Presumably this is so they can close one tunnel off during and emergency and also when they are doing maintenance and go contraflow.
IMG_4939.pngIMG_4940.png
Interesting, good pick up!

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri May 17, 2024 3:08 pm

Channel 7 and InDaily reporting that a band-aid solution has been devised, with traffic lights to be moved 100m west along Cross Road.

https://www.indaily.com.au/news/adelaid ... ck-crashes
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri May 17, 2024 7:47 pm

Why not just install a concrete barrier in the median strip of Cross Rd?

Sure, this wouldn't stop traffic heading west on Cross Rd from being hit by an out of control truck, but neither would moving the stop line for the intersection further east.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by Goodsy » Fri May 17, 2024 8:13 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 7:47 pm

Sure, this wouldn't stop traffic heading west on Cross Rd from being hit by an out of control truck, but neither would moving the stop line for the intersection further east.
There's probably not enough concrete in all of South Australia to build a wall thick and tall enough to stop a runaway truck.

IMO, as a truck driver who descends the freeway once or twice a month, there's nothing that can be done to fix the problem with the intersection in its current configuration.

An arrestor bed wouldn't have saved that last truck from rolling.. He just took the left turn way too fast, could have happened at any other intersection.

I see more smoking brakes going down Grand Junction road towards the Gepps Cross intersection than going down the freeway

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri May 17, 2024 9:27 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 8:13 pm
SouthAussie94 wrote:

There's probably not enough concrete in all of South Australia to build a wall thick and tall enough to stop a runaway truck.

IMO, as a truck driver who descends the freeway once or twice a month, there's nothing that can be done to fix the problem with the intersection in its current configuration.

An arrestor bed wouldn't have saved that last truck from rolling.. He just took the left turn way too fast, could have happened at any other intersection.

I see more smoking brakes going down Grand Junction road towards the Gepps Cross intersection than going down the freeway
The existing median is about 2m wide.

A 2m wide, 1m tall barrier would surely be as truck proof as you can get. Obviously wouldn't be great for the poor driver of anything that hit it though.

I guess this just leads to the discussion thats happened countless times in the past. What's the long term plan for the intersection and the freight route from Murray Bridge to Adelaide?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

SBD

#36 Post by SBD » Sun May 19, 2024 5:27 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:27 pm
Goodsy wrote:
SouthAussie94 wrote:

A 2m wide, 1m tall barrier would surely be as truck proof as you can get. Obviously wouldn't be great for the poor driver of anything that hit it though.

I guess this just leads to the discussion thats happened countless times in the past. What's the long term plan for the intersection and the freight route from Murray Bridge to Adelaide?
Where did the truck that crashed last week start its journey from? An "eastern bypass" from Murray Bridge to Gepps Cross won't divert all the traffic that originates in the Adelaide Hills or whose destination is in the suburbs south of the CBD.

Moving the Cross Road stop line back 100m sounds good until anyone starts to think about how much longer the light at the bottom of the freeway would need to be red to enable people to drive, ride, or walk from way back there to cross Glen Osmond Road.

The idea of using the managed motorway equipment to clear the queue from in front is good. That might encourage unstoppable vehicles to continue on to Glen Osmond Road without attempting to turn, but I'm not sure how often that will be a sufficient solution, rather than just shift the problem down to Fullarton Road. The reality is that thousands of trucks descend the hill without crashing and there are tens of other black spots or stretches of road across the state that are equally dangerous, just not as high profile when things go wrong.

abc
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by abc » Sun May 19, 2024 5:50 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:27 pm
Goodsy wrote:
SouthAussie94 wrote:

what you're suggesting is ludicrous

what would work is build a lake behind the gateway fountain about 5ft deep

SBD

#38 Post by SBD » Sun May 19, 2024 7:08 pm

Most public discourse of the "problem" seeks to introduce engineered "solutions" that rely on a panicked driver (who has likely already made at least one mistake) suddenly choosing to do something that is dangerous to themselves in the hopes of not injuring some hypothetical other people.

I doubt any driver would at that moment choose to plough head-on into what they believe is an unmoveable concrete block. Some of them might choose to drive into a lake, but a smooth entrance to a lake only five feet deep in that area looks difficult, too. Straight on then a gravel bed where the road levels out is far more likely to be an accepted option, if the traffic management can provide a smooth clear path, then big steel barriers forcing the only remaining vehicle into the gravel, like it or not.