Aussie Top Gear!

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

Aussie Top Gear!

#1 Post by Al » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:37 pm

Looks like we're going to get a local version of Top Gear! From GoAuto.com. I'm a big fan of Top gear so it'll be interesting how this turns out.
SBS Australia to produce a local version of Top Gear motoring program

By JAMES STANFORD 19 November 2007

SBS has managed a major coup, securing the rights to create an Australian version of Top Gear.

The British motoring program has been a smash hit for SBS and the broadcaster is aiming to push ratings higher with a locally-produced Top Gear program that will go to air next year.

No other country has made a local version of Top Gear, which has been a worldwide hit thanks to its clever writing, breathtaking footage and the wit of presenters Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond.

“This is fantastic news for SBS, for Top Gear fans and for Australian audiences,” said SBS content director Matt Campbell.

He said the Australian version would feature local hosts and would not simply replicate the English series.

“SBS plans to make a program that is uniquely and quintessentially Australian,” Mr Campbell said.

Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson had his own suggestion for the creators of the Australian show.

“Maybe the first guest could by Jonny Wilkinson,” Clarkson said, referring to England's World Cup hero who has caused the Australian rugby team so much trouble.

SBS has screened the British Top Gear show since 2005 and has committed to broadcasting the series as for as long as the BBC continues to produce it.

The local series will be produced by Freehand Productions, BBC Worldwide's Australian partner.

As reported by GoAuto in September, the Top Gear team will tour Australia next year presenting the MPH Live Motoring Theatre show.

Clarkson, Hammond and May are all expected to appear in the automotive extravaganza that is expected to appear in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: Aussie Top Gear!

#2 Post by Cruise » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:43 pm

clarkson, hammond and may are the only reasons why top gear is fantastic.

with out them it will just be a hack

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm

Agree with cruise, it's going to be tough to find a team that gel so well together and each of the fellas on top gear have so much personality that comes out during their performances. But at least we'll get to see more local flavour of cars rather than the bugattis/audis/bentleys/porsches they get to drive over there. Would be nice if they focused on some of the local Holden,Ford,Toyota offerings along with our huge number of Japanese imports we get here.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#4 Post by Cruise » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:05 pm

i hope they do something stupid like like buy an old VL commodore for 500 bucks and try to drive from brisbane to perth or something else stupid like that.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Will409 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:40 pm

I sent off an email to BBC TopGear about a week ago suggesting something similar. Basically, the challenge was to get a city runabout for about $1,500 and then flog them from Adelaide to Darwin as economically as possible with a series of challenges along the way.

No response as yet!

However, I don't think Australian TopGear can ever beat some of the stunts that the UK mob has done. On one road trip through the US, they managed to get rocks thrown at them by rednecks after painting eachothers cars in slogans. Another challenge involved driving second hand bombs across Botswana from the Zimbabwe border to the Namibian border. If anyone wants, I can find the video series for the latter and post them here. They are very funny.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Al » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:06 pm

Yeah I agree. Without the three looneys on that show, it wouldn't be the same. I doubt driving a $1500 aussie bomb from Adelaide to Darwin would be much of a challenge considering they did something like that recently in Africa.

I think it might be a little dry too considering we don't have the range of cars and roads available to Europe. I think one can only take so much Holden, Ford, Toyota, Mitsu etc. before it gets a little boring. I hope I'm wrong.

For anyone who's interested, this is a great site: FinalGear.com.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by Bulldozer » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:08 am

Cruise wrote:clarkson, hammond and may are the only reasons why top gear is fantastic.

with out them it will just be a hack
Totally. All they really need to do is film a segment down under once a year. They reviewed the Monaro a few years ago. Holden and Ford should send samples of their wares over to old blighty for a review. Would love to see what the lads would have to say about the HSV and FPV sedans and utes!

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by ReallyBad » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:39 am

On Aussie Top Gear this week: Aussie Stig drives a new red Commodore.

Next week Aussie Stig drives a new Blue Falcon, this has an all new pin stripe....

Then the week after that the guy who hosts the soccer - will drive the P76 around our test track - oh yeah we don't have one.

Leave Top Gear as it is please.
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by bmw boy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:36 pm

hahah I love top gear, but like any program that we steal and re make from the US or England in this case, it will most likely be lame.

ps really bad, dont forget the 380 :roll:

trdrz
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#10 Post by trdrz » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:26 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by trdrz on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Will409 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:04 pm

Anyone with a computer, a USB cable and a 'volunteer' can make their own STIG 8)
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.