News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: Tram Passenger Frustrations

#241 Post by Shuz » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:18 pm

We really need to push for those real-time information screens.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#242 Post by monotonehell » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:20 pm

Shuz wrote:We really need to push for those real-time information screens.
Oh hell no... they just infuriate passengers more, because they can then see in real time how much their service is late. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#243 Post by crawf » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:22 pm

Shuz wrote:We really need to push for those real-time information screens.
Agreed, they should of installed them when they did the tramline upgrade (major stations only) and extension to city west.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#244 Post by jk1237 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:19 pm

I dont think 2 coupled flexities will fit on any stop on any part of the network, so I dont know why we are focusing just on stops north of Vic Square. Also the tracks curve inwards after the stops on the new part. And can you imagine the time of a coupled flexity going around the north tce corner. We may aswell put a 6 car suburban train down King Will St. An extra section to the flexities and more of them is what I think is needed

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

Re: Article: City Tram Track To Grow

#245 Post by Bulldozer » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:33 am

shiftaling wrote:Preserve a funky art deco laneway rather than installing yet another Hudson's foyer, please
What if it's a Cibo foyer? :)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#246 Post by Will » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:27 pm

From the Portside Messenger:
Tram line push

Adam Todd

26Mar08
UNITED: A tram in the city in October last year. Western councils want a tram line too.

UNITED: A tram in the city in October last year. Western councils want a tram line too.

PORT Adelaide Enfield will lead a coalition of western suburbs' councils to push for a tram line from the city to Semaphore and then Outer Harbor.

The CEOs of Holdfast Bay, West Torrens, Charles Sturt and Adelaide City councils will join Port Adelaide Enfield's Harry Wierda to lobby the State Government for the $220 million project.

The idea of a tram replacing the existing Outer Harbor train line, and also running down Semaphore Rd, was first canvassed by Port Adelaide Enfield in 2006.

Mr Wierda said a coalition of councils would have "more clout" than one council going it alone.

"We think we've got a better chance with more involved," he said.

Mr Wierda said the other councils involved also stood to benefit either by having the tram run through their suburbs or via a link to the Glenelg tram line.

He said the CEOs would meet in coming months before holding another meeting with the State Government.

Port Adelaide Enfield has held several meetings with the State Government about a tram since 2006. Both sides have said the meetings were "positive" without decisions being reached.

Transport Minister Pat Conlon told the Portside Messenger the Government was "considering all options for future tram extensions".

However he said any tram extension would likely require funding from councils.

"We are happy to hear what funding contributions the councils are planning to make," he said.

The most recent study undertaken by Port Adelaide Enfield, at a cost of $35,000, called for the Port Adelaide railway station bridge to be demolished and the existing rail line redirected around the eastern side of Port Adelaide, reconnecting on the other side of the Port River at Glanville before running to Outer Harbor via Semaphore Rd.

A new transport interchange also would be built on the corner of Baker and St Vincent streets in Port Adelaide.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#247 Post by Cruise » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:27 pm

Will wrote:From the Portside Messenger:

The most recent study undertaken by Port Adelaide Enfield, at a cost of $35,000, called for the Port Adelaide railway station bridge to be demolished and the existing rail line redirected around the eastern side of Port Adelaide, reconnecting on the other side of the Port River at Glanville before running to Outer Harbor via Semaphore Rd.

A new transport interchange also would be built on the corner of Baker and St Vincent streets in Port Adelaide.

I don't quite understand, could this be a plan to rejuvenate the eastern side of Port Adelaide? otherwise it really would be a "tram to nowhere".

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#248 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:39 pm

Sounds good to me. The fact it's already resleepered with Gauge-convertible sleepers helps.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#249 Post by skyliner » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:53 pm

I heard about the Semaphore Rd tramline in Jan.2006 through one of the business owners on Semaphore Rd. (south side near ocean end). Seemed pretty sure of it all happening then.i was talking casually, but trying to find out about Semaphore Rd future. (as you do when it is me).

Personally I am not in favour of it replacimg/duplicating the Pt. rly track. The area is re developing and creating a new market for heavy rail. In saying that I have not any access to costs/benefits associated with either system over say 10 years. (to give a protracted undserstanding).

ADELAIDE - CITY ON THE MOVE
Jack.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#250 Post by monotonehell » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:15 pm

skyliner wrote:Personally I am not in favour of it replacimg/duplicating the Pt. rly track. The area is re developing and creating a new market for heavy rail. In saying that I have not any access to costs/benefits associated with either system over say 10 years. (to give a protracted undserstanding).
I tend to agree with this statement. (If they wont rip up the heavy rail line and install an OBahn ;) ) The development down at Wotzit Quays is high density and looks to be popular potentially spawning more high density development. This means we will have a pocket of concentrated high population, which is what heavy rail serves best.

They should be looking at realignment if necessary, reduction of interstitial stations, and reparation of the heavy rail line to service this pocket (if it eventuates). If thought about properly this would possibly encourage further high density pockets to be developed around the remaining stations along the route.

The rest of the area in between is fairly 'sprawly' and would be best serviced with buses which can better adapt to the change that a revitalised heavy rail line would potentially bring.

Trams are best installed to service the suburbs directly around the CBD. Even the Glenelg run is outside the sweet spot that separates light rail and heavy rail.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#251 Post by Shuz » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:15 am

Seriously, theres a freaking 10m wide median down the middle of Port Road, whats wrong with using this corridor? And the fact that its actually a median would allow for things like an underpass or overpass across South Road can happen, so as to not disrupt traffic flow.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#252 Post by Wayno » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:41 pm

Are there opportunities for independent tram lines & loops in any suburbs? i'm just thinking out loud here - do all tram lines need to cascade out from the Adelaide CBD? (e.g. create a line between outer harbour, semaphore and port adelaide).
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#253 Post by monotonehell » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:29 pm

Shuz wrote:Seriously, theres a freaking 10m wide median down the middle of Port Road, whats wrong with using this corridor? And the fact that its actually a median would allow for things like an underpass or overpass across South Road can happen, so as to not disrupt traffic flow.
The only thing wrong with that is redundancy. The rail line runs parallel, mostly within walking distance, of the entire length of Port road. Having two transport corridors that close means you'd need to choose. The choice would be dependent on which service would be better for the route.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#254 Post by Will409 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:52 pm

Wayno wrote:Are there opportunities for independent tram lines & loops in any suburbs? i'm just thinking out loud here - do all tram lines need to cascade out from the Adelaide CBD? (e.g. create a line between outer harbour, semaphore and port adelaide).
I draw your attention to the top left of the map.

Tramway history in Australia has shown that small, isolated systems struggle to survive and have been closed (either in their entirety or merged with the main system). You can almost consider this the 'poor cousin' theory with the main system recieving the bulk of the funding and resources. This is still being played out today with the isolated Eyre Peninsula (railway) division which is isolated from the main system. Nearly everything, including the track, is second hand.

Sydney had the North Sydney system, Melbourne had the Footscray system and Adelaide had the Port System as shown above. The Port Adelaide system ran with only the smallest trams (A1, A2 and G classes, all small 4 wheelers) and had a short life span lasting only 18 years from 1917 to 1935. The Foostcray system lasted a little longer from 1926 to 1962 but like the Port Adelaide system ran with only the oldest, smallest trams. Unlike Adelaide, 90% of the 3 line system was closed with one line connected to the main system via a very round about route. The North Sydney system went the same way as the Port Adelaide system.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#255 Post by Omicron » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:30 am

That map of the tramway network is so pretty. Look at them going all over the place!