News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide Transport Woes

#136 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Cruise wrote:The highway also features the Heysen Tunnels, the first twin-tube tunnels on the National Highway.
Bolding mine. I'm not putting forward any evidence, just pointing out that interesting caveat.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#137 Post by Cruise » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:21 pm

yeah i think there might be something to that.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#138 Post by AG » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:28 pm

AtD wrote:OK, what about Sydney Harbour Tunnel? That was opened in 1992 according to Wikipedia.

(I only thought of it because I was in it on Saturday)
Yep, that would be older than any of the other tunnels mentioned so far. Several different construction methods used but still older and consisting of two tunnels.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#139 Post by Bulldozer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:33 am

AG wrote:
AtD wrote:OK, what about Sydney Harbour Tunnel? That was opened in 1992 according to Wikipedia.

(I only thought of it because I was in it on Saturday)
Yep, that would be older than any of the other tunnels mentioned so far. Several different construction methods used but still older and consisting of two tunnels.
Cut and cover on land and underwater it was done by dredging and then dropping down giant precast concrete tunnel sections if I remember correctly. ( That was probably 10 or 12 years ago when I saw the video about it in the Sydney Harbour Bridge. :))

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#140 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:12 pm

from the Independent Weekly
http://adelaide.yourguide.com.au/news/l ... 04373.html
Free peak hour public transport: Democrats
The South Australian Democrats have called for free public transport before 7.30am to reduce peak hour congestion.

Democrats MLC Sandra Kanck said SA should follow the Victorian initiative encouraging workers to start work earlier and avoid the rush.

She said traffic could be further reduced by extending the hours of operation of bus transit lanes, which currently end at 9am and 6pm.

"By extending this on selected roads - even by 30 minutes - the blockages on our main arterial roads could be reduced," Ms Kanck said.

She said Transport Minister Pat Conlon should not just focus on big projects but also on fine-tuning which could also ease traffic problems.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#141 Post by Ho Really » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:28 pm

Wayno wrote:from the Independent Weekly
http://adelaide.yourguide.com.au/news/l ... 04373.html
Free peak hour public transport: Democrats
The South Australian Democrats have called for free public transport before 7.30am to reduce peak hour congestion.

Democrats MLC Sandra Kanck said SA should follow the Victorian initiative encouraging workers to start work earlier and avoid the rush.

She said traffic could be further reduced by extending the hours of operation of bus transit lanes, which currently end at 9am and 6pm.

"By extending this on selected roads - even by 30 minutes - the blockages on our main arterial roads could be reduced," Ms Kanck said.

She said Transport Minister Pat Conlon should not just focus on big projects but also on fine-tuning which could also ease traffic problems.
While we are at it why not get rid of daylight saving? Workers would have light earlier in the mornings, start work earlier, be on the same time as the Eastern States and free public transport to boot...what a solution!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#142 Post by Norman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:33 pm

I think those points should be implemented IMO.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#143 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:57 pm

Norman wrote:I think those points should be implemented IMO.
Or if they don't want to go for the 200% discount, maybe an extension of the interpeak rate be made before 7:30?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#144 Post by Shuz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:36 pm

Ho Really wrote:
While we are at it why not get rid of daylight saving? Workers would have light earlier in the mornings, start work earlier, be on the same time as the Eastern States and free public transport to boot...what a solution!

Cheers
That's actually a very decent idea, kills two birds with one stone.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#145 Post by Shuz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:39 pm

Ho Really wrote:

Cheers
Thats a fairly decent idea. Kills two birds with one stone.

Ash-SV6
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#146 Post by Ash-SV6 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:23 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Or if they don't want to go for the 200% discount, maybe an extension of the interpeak rate be made before 7:30?
200% discount? So you get paid to travel by public transport - I like it! :o

But seriously I agree with you, lets have interpeak before 7:30am and after 6:30pm to encourage more public transport use during those times.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#147 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:17 pm

Ash-SV6 wrote:
monotonehell wrote:

But seriously I agree with you, lets have interpeak before 7:30am and after 6:30pm to encourage more public transport use during those times.
The current cost accounting has govt PT subsidies of around $2.90 for a bus trip and $8.80 for a train trip (plus the $4.10 the passenger pays for a full fare). My math to get to 200% is flawed, but you get the point?

Will409
Legendary Member!

#148 Post by Will409 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:33 pm

I'd personally like to see interpeak fares/tickets valid on weekends/public holidays to encourage usage at those times.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#149 Post by Norman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:43 pm

Ho Really wrote:While we are at it why not get rid of daylight saving? Workers would have light earlier in the mornings, start work earlier, be on the same time as the Eastern States and free public transport to boot...what a solution!

Cheers
Errr... the Daylight Savings difference is 1 hour while the CST and EST differ by 30 minutes...

Ash-SV6
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#150 Post by Ash-SV6 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:06 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Ash-SV6 wrote:
monotonehell wrote: Or if they don't want to go for the 200% discount, maybe an extension of the interpeak rate be made before 7:30?

The current cost accounting has govt PT subsidies of around $2.90 for a bus trip and $8.80 for a train trip (plus the $4.10 the passenger pays for a full fare). My math to get to 200% is flawed, but you get the point?
Ah ok I see where your coming from, just read like it was a 200% discount for the customer, where 100% discount would be free.