News & Developments: Glenelg

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

News & Developments: Glenelg

#1 Post by Will » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:51 pm

A Motel at 22 Colley Terrace, Glenelg, may be demolished and replaced with a 8 level residential apartment building, with 2 levels of underground parking. Norwood 283 Pty Ltd has lodged and application with the Holdfast Bay council to demolish the current structure and build the new building. 22 Colley Terrace is an ugly 1960's era 2 level motel. It is situated next to St. Vincent Towers. I am confident that this proposal witll further enhance Colley Terrace, and remove one of the last vestiges of 'village' style building from Colley Terrace.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2 Post by crawf » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:39 am

great news, any renders???

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Will » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:29 pm

crawf_231 wrote:great news, any renders???
The Guardian Messenger didn't publish an image with the story.

However when an image becomes available I'll upload it onto this site.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Bayside Height Review

#4 Post by Will » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:25 pm

From the Guardian Messenger:

Bayside Height Review

By: Chantelle Kroehn

The hieght of new buildings on and near Glenelg's foreshore will be reviewed, with some residents saying they will use the process to push for a ban on more beachfront high rise.
The current height limits in Holdfast Bay Council's development plan will be considered as part of the council's upcoming Residential Coastal and Foreshore Zone Plan Amendment Report (PAR).
Currently 12 level buildings are allowed in parts of Colley Terrace, Glenelg, and a small section of College Street, Glenelg.
Five storey buildings are allowed in several places, including along parts of the Esplanade and Anzac Highway.
Glenelg Residents Association president Jane West, said a lot of people already thought of Glenelg as "the Gold Coast".
"I think it would be a time to become active in preserving what's left," she said. "I think the general feeling is we have got enough, let's be a bit more modest."
Ms West said she hoped people would take part in the PAR's public consultation and she would use it herself to plead against more high rise development on the foreshore.
Many Glenelg area residents have been vocal in their opposition to more high rise, with more than 13 700 signatures collected on a petition.
Glenelg Residents Association vice-president Brian Oats said he was pleased the council was reviewing the height limits. "It's the right time to do it...we have had enough of high rise," he said.
Mr. Oats said he would not be in favour of more high rise and would push for it during the consultation process.
Holdfast Bay development executive manager Shanti Ditter said a consultant would start work on the foreshore report shortly.
Ms Ditter said various groups including residents would be consulted. She said it was too early to predict what the outcome of the PAR would be. Ms Ditter told a recent public meeting, organized by the Glenelg Residents Association, the PAR process would be lengthy.
Ultimately the finished report had to be approved by the State Governemnt, she said.
"The council is very awae of community concern about high rise within the council are" Ms Ditter said.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Will » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:32 pm

News like this really makes me mad! In true un-democratic fashion the Holdfast council will allow a vocal group of pensioners to decide the future of Glenelg.

Although the majority of people consulted will vote to stagnate Glenelg, i will enquire as to how people like us can voice our opinion. I will, like I did in 2002 vote to keep Glenelg vibrant and progressive. Turning Glenelg into a giant nursing home is not in the state's best interest.

These residents associations claim they are not against progress, although they have been opposed to all stages of Holdfast Shores, the Beach-house, Liberty Towers and the new trams.

You only have to see the Torrens to see what happens to something that stagnates.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AtD » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:01 pm

Try as they might, you can't fight the market. Money talks louder than pensioners, highlighted by the fact the state has overruled the council so many times already.

Aren't councils losing such powers soon anyway?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Will » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:30 pm

AtD wrote:Try as they might, you can't fight the market. Money talks louder than pensioners, highlighted by the fact the state has overruled the council so many times already.

Aren't councils losing such powers soon anyway?
Although councils will soon loose planning powers, the independent members of the new development assessment panels, still have to follow the guidelines and regulations of the council.
For example what is happening at Glenelg is that the council in a last minute attempt to maintain Glenelg village, is going to change the development regulations so that the future independednt members cannot allow high rise. Because if they left the regulations intact as they are now, the future independent members would allow the 12 level Latitude building, because it complys with the council regulations.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Ben » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:22 pm

Projects are still approved and proposed above height limits though such as the twin towers. As ATD said at the end of the day $$ speak louder than words and the council will not say no to millions of dollars of extra revenue to keep a few fossils happy.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Will » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:47 pm

beamer85 wrote:Projects are still approved and proposed above height limits though such as the twin towers. As ATD said at the end of the day $$ speak louder than words and the council will not say no to millions of dollars of extra revenue to keep a few fossils happy.

For one, the twin towers haven't been lodged to the council for approval. They are still a vision.

And the council will say no to development. They said no to Holdfast Shores, they said no to Platinum, they said no to the Beach-house and they said no to Latitude.

And this is because the people who vote in council elections are the 'fossils' and as politicians who want to keep their job the councillors will sacrifice progress to keep their jobs.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Ben » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:36 am

Will wrote: And the council will say no to development. They said no to Holdfast Shores, they said no to Platinum, they said no to the Beach-house and they said no to Latitude.
This is my point exactly and not only were they approved in the end they have been completed....

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Will » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:42 am

beamer85 wrote:
Will wrote: And the council will say no to development. They said no to Holdfast Shores, they said no to Platinum, they said no to the Beach-house and they said no to Latitude.
This is my point exactly and not only were they approved in the end they have been completed....
These buildings exist because they were declared major projects by the state government.

And in the case of Latitude, it is just a 12 level apartment building. There is no way such a project will be granted major project status.

The problem is, if a developer proposes a 10 level building on Colley Terrace the council, if it changes its development regulations, such a development would be non-complying. And do you think the state government will be granting major project status to such a proposal?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#article : Glenelg Makeover complete

#12 Post by Howie » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:17 am

Makeover complete
RHIANNON HOYLE, REAL ESTATE EDITOR
September 01, 2006 12:15am
Article from: The Advertiser

AFTER a decade of controversial developments, including Liberty Towers and the demolition of Magic Mountain, Glenelg's Holdfast Shores precinct is complete.
Holdfast Bay Mayor Ken Rollond said that while some aspects of the development were universally appreciated, he was still angry apartment development had been allowed to go ahead on the beachfront.

"In my opinion, the Pier and Platinum should never have been there," he said. "And I think in another 50 years' time, or less, people will say this should have never been done."

Todd Brown, spokesman for project joint partners Urban Construct and Baulderstone Hornibrook, argued the development had turned Glenelg from an under-utilised coastal stretch to one of SA's most popular tourist and residential destinations.

"Holdfast Shores has injected new life into Glenelg and surrounding suburbs," he said. "As one of the first marina precincts in SA, Holdfast Shores helped set in motion the expansion and popularity of apartment living across the city and the interest and demand for boating activities across the state."

Mr Rollond said there had been some positive outcomes from the development.

"Aspects like the surf club and the Beachouse, which were built back from the beach, were fantastic additions," he said.

"Entertainment for young people is a very important thing. But I guess it's the price we pay for it that's the real issue."

With Stage 2B complete, a function was held by the developers on-site yesterday to celebrate the end of the $500 million development.

A public event will be held by the council on September 24.

Over the next few weeks, residents and visitors will notice retailers moving into the 16 new outlets on Moseley Square, including - facing the square - Starbucks, Nandos and Un Caffe Bar, an Illy coffee concept store.

Beachouse owner and operator Peter Rimington said the response to the redeveloped Magic Mountain site had been "just absolutely incredible".

"It has been going since July 1 and everyone just loves it," he said. "Looking around at not only this development but everything that has happened at Glenelg, I think everyone would agree that what is here now is better than what was here 10 years ago."

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Al » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:29 am

Maybe in 50 years time, or less... people will say Ken Rollond shouldn't have been mayor. What a dick. Glenelg has great apeal for the younger generation now and he is saying that in 50 years time, these people will change their minds and say the opposite. Nimbys!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Will » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:31 pm

In 50 years time, people will acclaim Holdfast Shores as the best thing to ever happen to Glenelg. It was the catalyst for the modernisation of Glenelg. It turned Glenelg from a dilapidated seaside village that was dying a slow death into a tourist asset all South Australians can be proud of.

In the Messenger there is an article claiming that when Mayor Rollond opens Holdfast Shores on September 24, he will make a speech "that will be more than 50% negative and critical of Holdfast Shores."

Done
Gold-Member ;)

#15 Post by Done » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:54 pm

I went to Glenelg last weekend with my friends and we loved it. It would be better if there wasn't as many old people on the beach but around mosely sq and the marina + shops was awsome, I never knew there were youg people in Adelaide... But I wish The Twins and Latitude were built as well as Platinum being taller, they look like dwarfs. The beach is horible at Gleneg there is seaweed everywhere we couldnt go in the water the council needs to fix that problem.