[DEF] AAMI Stadium Upgrade | $100m | 52,000

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[DEF] Re: AAMI Stadium to recieve a $100million facelift

#436 Post by Norman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:42 pm

Why would you sell Hindmarsh off? Where will Adelaide United play when its early matches clash with AFL weeks?

Why should we only have 1 major stadium in this city?

Why would a rail link to West Lakes be dumped when they're creating a high-density area around the mall and stadium? Wouldn't that counter-argue your claim the land would be sold of for hundreds of millions? How would all these people go to the city, by bus? Car?

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#437 Post by Düsseldorfer » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:51 pm

adam73837 wrote: 4. Don't extend the tramline to West Lakes (which would only really be well used during Footy matches)
what!!! i have to agree with Norman on this cause West lakes is a pretty big suburb and will be even bigger in the near future, how come people think that AAMI Stadium is the only thing in West Lakes??

lol AFL isn't the only sport that is based in West Lakes anyway *cough Rowing *cough Sailing *cough a shit load of other water sports...it's not called West Lakes for nothing u kno

and here's a chill pill :P :

jordan85
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#438 Post by jordan85 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Looks like AAMI Stadium will be getting some fancy new LED advertising signage around the field, like ANZ Stadium in Sydney:

http://www.afc.com.au/Corporate/LEDStad ... fault.aspx

Sounds promising! I think the current advertising signage at AAMI is damn ugly! I mean, at the moment, they can't even fix the signs to the fence properly, instead just leaning them against it (I'm probably being a bit picky here, but I just find signage at AAMI so hideous at the moment! I mean, what other stadium in Australia has advertising signage for Chicken Salt?!).

Now they just need to work on the rest of the stadium... get rid of that mountain in the middle of the oval so I can see the entire game, bulldoze all the stands and rebuild them so they're more elevated and undercover (like Telstra Dome), cos I hate being so damn far from the action and look like a fool in my poncho. Come to think of it... just build a new stadium!

And does anyone know what's going on with the stadium lights? They're suppose to be replaced over the next few months, but I haven't heard of anything happening. Info here:

http://www.planning.sa.gov.au/go/develo ... ium-lights

Just in case people are wondering why they need to be replaced, night games at AAMI look shit on tv... very, very dark, not enough light (thank god it has major project status... only SA would have a Royal Commission into building fucking stadium lights, and look at the compromise we got!).

And another thing... What genius decided to build AAMI at West Lakes? AAMI Stadium is so embarassing.... urban planning at its absolute worst (just see how poor crowd movement is around the venue before and after a game)! At least next year, I'll be entertained by the fancy LEDs when I can't see the game on the other side of the oval, or when I'm getting drenched by rain!

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#439 Post by Omicron » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:59 pm

The antithesis of 2008 urban planning is the epitome of 1960s and 1970s urban planning.

jordan85
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#440 Post by jordan85 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:12 pm

Omicron wrote:The antithesis of 2008 urban planning is the epitome of 1960s and 1970s urban planning.
Well said!

You know, I can just see those new LEDs advertising our local South Australian businesses, such as Designer Direct and Caffe Primo... Cringe!!!

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#441 Post by rhino » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:47 pm

[quote="adam73837"]You just don't get it do you? [quote]

Excuse me? Who just doesn't get it? There's a heck of a lot of theory being posted on here, and a lot of fact being ignored. Just read the last couple of pages again before ranting. Nowhere have I said they should or shouldn't build a new stadium. I'm just getting sick of reading stuff that isn't valid - stuff that people think will probably happen. If a city chose the option you want, then we should follow them. If another city successfully did something different, then we shouldn't compare ourselves with that.

[quote="adam73837"]Sell off the land at AAMI Stadium. Someone like Delfin would love to have such a piece of real estate.[quote]

One of the arguments for a city stadium not being viable is that the SANFL will not want to pay a fee to use a stadium when they already own one they can use for free. You're suggesting that the government sell a stadium that the SANFL owns? Perhaps the government should sell your house to raise funds - how would you feel about that?

[quote="adam73837"]Sell off the land at Hindmarsh Stadium (and I mean all of it).[quote]

See Norman's post. You're so passionate about your inner city stadium that you're prepared to see the sports that might use it suffer to meet your agenda.

[quote="adam73837"]Don't extend the tramline to West Lakes (which would only really be well used during Footy matches).[quote]

Well, that about sums things up, doesn't it. You have so little idea about what is needed in this metro area, and are so focused on your hobby horse, that nothing else matters. You really don't even know if the people you say will use the multi-sport stadium, want it. Do you?

I'm outa here! :lol:
cheers,
Rhino

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#442 Post by adam73837 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:59 pm

Norman wrote:Why would a rail link to West Lakes be dumped when they're creating a high-density area around the mall and stadium?
Sorry, by 'high density area' do you mean the apartment buildings, etc. :?:
Norman wrote:Wouldn't that counter-argue your claim the land would be sold of for hundreds of millions? How would all these people go to the city, by bus? Car?
Buses include the 113, 115, 155 and T155, all of which go to the city. OR people could ride down to Seaton Park Station or Woodville Station and catch the train into town. Or say they work up north in the Defence area, they could catch any of the buses to Findon Rd, where they catch the 100 Circle Line to Islington Railway Station. We must remember that West lakes has many bus services feeding into and out of it it. HOWEVER, that does not mean that the city doesn't, therefore, the reason that a stadium would be better off in the city than at West Lakes.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#443 Post by Norman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:06 pm

adam73837 wrote:
Norman wrote:Why would a rail link to West Lakes be dumped when they're creating a high-density area around the mall and stadium?
Sorry, by 'high density area' do you mean the apartment buildings, etc. :?:
Yes.
adam73837 wrote:
Norman wrote:Wouldn't that counter-argue your claim the land would be sold of for hundreds of millions? How would all these people go to the city, by bus? Car?
Buses include the 113, 115, 155 and T155, all of which go to the city. OR people could ride down to Seaton Park Station or Woodville Station and catch the train into town. Or say they work up north in the Defence area, they could catch any of the buses to Findon Rd, where they catch the 100 Circle Line to Islington Railway Station. We must remember that West lakes has many bus services feeding into and out of it it. HOWEVER, that does not mean that the city doesn't, therefore, the reason that a stadium would be better off in the city than at West Lakes.
T155 is now 157X, your sources must be outdated. So would people drive down to Seaton Park every day to the limited parking spaces at the station, and then catch a train to the city, an all-stopper mind you? The amount of people needed for your $200m housing complex would outstrip the current number of people using the Grange train by numerous times. The need for a rail link to West Lakes is more vital than the rail line to Grange.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#444 Post by adam73837 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:18 pm

Norman wrote:
adam73837 wrote: ...people could ride down to Seaton Park Station or Woodville Station and catch the train into town.
Aren't there express trains going from Woodville to the city :?:
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#445 Post by Düsseldorfer » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:29 pm

rhino wrote:
adam73837 wrote:You just don't get it do you?
Excuse me? Who just doesn't get it? There's a heck of a lot of theory being posted on here, and a lot of fact being ignored. Just read the last couple of pages again before ranting. Nowhere have I said they should or shouldn't build a new stadium. I'm just getting sick of reading stuff that isn't valid - stuff that people think will probably happen. If a city chose the option you want, then we should follow them. If another city successfully did something different, then we shouldn't compare ourselves with that.
adam73837 wrote:Sell off the land at AAMI Stadium. Someone like Delfin would love to have such a piece of real estate.
One of the arguments for a city stadium not being viable is that the SANFL will not want to pay a fee to use a stadium when they already own one they can use for free. You're suggesting that the government sell a stadium that the SANFL owns? Perhaps the government should sell your house to raise funds - how would you feel about that?
adam73837 wrote:Sell off the land at Hindmarsh Stadium (and I mean all of it).
See Norman's post. You're so passionate about your inner city stadium that you're prepared to see the sports that might use it suffer to meet your agenda.
adam73837 wrote:Don't extend the tramline to West Lakes (which would only really be well used during Footy matches).
Well, that about sums things up, doesn't it. You have so little idea about what is needed in this metro area, and are so focused on your hobby horse, that nothing else matters. You really don't even know if the people you say will use the multi-sport stadium, want it. Do you?

I'm outa here! :lol:
me too

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#446 Post by Norman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:38 pm

adam73837 wrote:
Norman wrote:
adam73837 wrote: ...people could ride down to Seaton Park Station or Woodville Station and catch the train into town.
Aren't there express trains going from Woodville to the city :?:
Only the Outer Harbour trains are express from Woodville. Plus Woodville Station has full carparking for most of the day, and is 15 to 20 minutes away by car from West Lakes in peak.

fasterthanlids
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#447 Post by fasterthanlids » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:02 pm

This debate is hilarious. :2cents: from me now, being a (real) Adelaide United fan, season tickets for many years, tickets for final, etc etc etc, this is probably a fairly partisan view too. Firstly, I'll say that United don't need a new stadium now, and even if they do in the next 5 years or so, i doubt the capacity would need to exceed about 25K.

If the $100M does go through to upgrade AAMI, will the political maneuvering in getting it to happen negate any future proposals for a multi purpose venue in the city? With a big outlay by the state govt, on a stadium whose owner/operators are blinkered in their approach and intransient when it comes to negotiating (see playing games at Adelaide Oval), I would see it as doubtful any multi-pupose venue in Adelaide central going ahead in the next decade.

However, although the club doesn't warrant it yet, I can see a growing likelihood of a new multi-pupose rectangular base stadium with a moderate capacity being planned for the near future - perhaps 25-30k (and plenty of corporate suites to cater for the obvious corporate success Adelaide United is generating) with an upgrade capacity in place for future development in the case of major events or significant expansion by Adelaide United. With a running track incorporated with moveable seating, such a stadium could cater for athletics, football (round style), rugger and other more general events.

You only need to look at the recent new stadiums in Melbourne (c. 25-30k) and the Gold Coast (c30K) that were built for less than $200M to see that it is a somewhat more attractvie financial option than going all out and rebuilding the Telstra Dome on prime land.

I think that if this current $100 development goes ahead, and the SANFL tries to make the stadium an attractive option (worthy) of football (round) games, they will fail unless a complete rebuild occurs - which won't if a redevelopment occurs for $100M any time soon. Hence, the only likelihood of receiving government funds is an intimate, adaptable and functional rectangular stadium designed with a capacity to be upgraded. The SANFL and State Govt have thus, probably shot themselves in the foot given their intranscience in not at least investigating other stadium options for the state, given they may now have no option but have an outdated (even if updated) major stadium so far from the city, and a requirement for a smaller one in a better location. Farcical imo.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#448 Post by Tyler_Durden » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:31 pm

Nothing is stopping soccer from having its own new stadium. It seems they want one, but only if football or the government pay for it. Keeping in mind the fact that the current stadium was built and paid for entirely by the Government little more than a decade ago (to massive criticism), why should the Government build and pay for another one when the current one is only half filled the majority of the time?

I have no doubt if Hindmarsh was actually filled to capacity for the majority of games then the Government would give serious consideration to putting money on the table for soccer. But they don't so they haven't.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!

#449 Post by adam73837 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:28 pm

rhino wrote:... so focused on your hobby horse, that nothing else matters. You really don't even know if the people you say will use the multi-sport stadium, want it. Do you?
About the hobby horse thing :D . If I may use your quote, that hobby horse is also that of the majority of the public and, if I may add, yours. I see that you never said that they shouldn't build a new stadium, so accept my apologies for that. Therefore, you must be a supporter for the concept of a new multi-purpose stadium and what better place to put it than the CBD? (As you have not criticised such a thing, I will assume that you agree with me. If not, please correct me.)
Now as for me not knowing whether or not these people will want to play there, I for fact know that Adelaide United want to play in a bigger stadium; see: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 73,00.html (You probably have already seen this numerous times, but might as well show it for other people). And as for the SANFL/ AFL, it seems rather strange that earlier this year, the "SANFL eyes Inner-City Stadium" and then suddenly they were criticising an Inner-City Stadium and that AAMI was there home.

IMO (and that of a whole lot of other people,) someone in the Government shut them up and then told Rann to give them $100m because Whicker had been saying previously (now we're talking a few years ago) that if possible, they may use up to $100m to upgrade AAMI. Well obviously this person thought "we'll grant their wish now that the Opposition is making noise so that eventually everyone will forget about it". If you're out there anywhere mate, I'd like to know, "how do you feel now that your plan's backfired and football fans, soccer fans (and even the general public) alike are screaming out for an inner-city stadium?"

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#450 Post by Brando » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:19 pm

rhino wrote:Heck, why let the facts get in the way of theory? This stadium issue is the biggest case of "Build it and They will Come" since Field of Dreams.
rhino, unlike many members on here that are relatively new to this forum, yet dribble so much shit, i came about this site around the same time as you and have always respected members such as yourself. Having said that, your argument here i can only interpret into my own account. I am a mad Essendon Bombers fan that lived in Melb for a few years. I would actually drive to the Kensington train station and catch a train in to either the "G" or Colonial, as it was known back then, on many occasions. Realistically, i don't believe i would have done it anywhere near as much had games still been played at Waverley, which is well on the other side of the Melb CBD. So i can say in my circumstances, it was a case of build it and they will come. To be able to walk 5 min to the CBD after a game and celebrate or drown your sorrows with fellow supportes just added to that commeradere that is missing in this city life of Adelaide. It is even a real buzz and vibe to see supporters of differing teams to yours, marching proudly through the city, on their way to battle the opposition.

Will it works here in Adelaide, i don't know, i have never argued yes or no. All i can speak for exprience from my few years in Melb. I don't believe in building the stadium tomorrow, i just ask for a plan and future direction that budgets and visions the future of this CBD and state.

Give us a chance and i'm sure the sporting fanatics of this city will truely prove it's worth in numbers!