[DEF] AAMI Stadium Upgrade | $100m | 52,000

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Zills
High Rise Poster!

[DEF] Re: AAMI Stadium to recieve a $100million facelift

#466 Post by Zills » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:04 pm

i would go to AAMI, but it takes 45 minutes by car and over an hour on the bus...Sure the SANFL mike like being based in West Lakes (perhaps because all their executives live on Sportsmans Dve!) But seriously, my forcast for patronage at AAMI stadium in the coming years is looking pretty bleak, even with the proposed upgrade & tram extension, a 2 hour round trip is just out of the question when i can buy a carton of coopers and suck it up in the comfort of my own big screen tv!

kent brockman for channel 6

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#467 Post by Paulns » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:36 pm

zills_86 wrote:But seriously, my forcast for patronage at AAMI stadium in the coming years is looking pretty bleak, even with the proposed upgrade & tram extension, a 2 hour round trip is just out of the question when i can buy a carton of coopers and suck it up in the comfort of my own big screen tv!
I agree and I bet thousands of other people in Adelaide do just the same....... Doesn't say much for AAMI and being based at West Lakes. Time this city started thinking long term and built a new multipurpose stadium in the city to get people like the above to come back to the Footy.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#468 Post by adam73837 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:20 pm

ricecrackers wrote:a few points

1. the SANFL are happy at AAMI stadium and they're happy with the seating capacity. there is no business case for the SANFL to move away from AAMI stadium.
What about the fact that more people will go and there will be economic benefitsfor them? Oh and BTW, don't anyone start saying that "why would the SANFL move from a ground which they don't have to pay a rent at?", because the SANFL can have 'priority control' over it, just as Leigh Whicker said earlier in the year when he stated that the SANFL would consider moving if they still had control over it. Oh, in answer to your question Norman, Adelaide United could play their games at Adelaide Oval while the AFL and A-League seasons clash.
ricecrackers wrote:2. ...There are also Socceroos matches that are played during the winter which Adelaide will always miss out on until a facility can be provided.
THANKYOU! That means that a multi-purpose stadium that is capable of hosting such matches should be built in the CBD, rather than an 'oval configuration' stadium.
ricecrackers wrote: ... There is a following in Adelaide, there's just nothing to go see currently.
Maybe when the Cronulla Sharks start playing some of their matches in Adelaide, the sport may expand slightly in SA. <Awaits e-slapping>
ricecrackers wrote: 4. a multipurpose stadium for rectangular and oval sports will cost > a billion dollars. money this state will never have to spend on such a facility.
PLEASE don't make me say it again, but a multi-purpose stadium (similar to that of Stadium WA -see below) will not cost > a billion dollars, it will cost less than a billion dollars. 'Stadium WA is costing approx. $800m', the $1.1b figure includes additional transport measures, hotels, etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

It's funny, the WA Labor Government wanted to build a new multi-purpose Stadium, but the WA Liberal Governent doesn't. Meanwhile in SA, the State Labor Government doesn't want to build a multi-purpose stadium, but the SA State Liberal Government does. :D
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#469 Post by ricecrackers » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:23 pm

adam73837 wrote: It's funny, the WA Labor Government wanted to build a new multi-purpose Stadium, but the WA Liberal Governent doesn't. Meanwhile in SA, the State Labor Government doesn't want to build a multi-purpose stadium, but the SA State Liberal Government does. :D
yeah the good old fashioned political football!

this state cant afford $800 million for a stadium either by the way, and will not any time soon.

we need to come up with realistic and cost effective solutions.

add to that, combining an oval sports facility with a rectangular sports facility will compromise the sports that are played there. the sports themselves should be the top priority with any discussion of new stadiums or upgrades.
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#470 Post by cruel_world00 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:16 pm

And it continues.....

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html
'Urban experts want city sports stadium'

THE Civic Trust wants a new sporting stadium for Adelaide's city centre, saying Adelaide is in danger of becoming a sporting backwater.

The organisation is considering a "brickbat" for AAMI Stadium, which has been nominated in the annual Civic Trust bouquets and brickbats awards which reward merit in planning, architecture and use of open space, while criticising poor performers.

Civic Trust chairman Darian Hiles said that "AAMI Stadium has been nominated for a brickbat due to its location and unsuitability for use for a range of sporting and other spectator events".

"Its seating is also limited and the incline and viewing are not to current standards or expectations."

The State Government and the Opposition have been at loggerheads over the future of AAMI stadium.

The Opposition has promised a new super stadium in the centre of Adelaide but the State Government favours the redevelopment of AAMI, albeit last month delaying a $100 million commitment.

Mr Hiles said AAMI clashed with the adjoining neighbourhood and West Lakes shopping centre.

"It detracts from the opportunity for a centralised joint facility near the CBD, ideally at a brisk half-hours walk from the GPO," he said.

"Due to the limitations of AAMI and the Adelaide Oval, Adelaide is not able to attract large events and is at risk of becoming a backwater for major sports.

"Even events such as the McDermott McGuiness Charity match have had declining numbers since they moved from the Adelaide Oval to AAMI.

"This is not necessarily the present government's fault but the problem is now in its lap and it's the responsibility of the Government to coordinate public facilities for the benefit of the community. Leadership is needed."

You can vote in the 2008 awards and brickbats - listed at our special section or at trust website civictrust.net.au - where the public may cast their votes until 5pm on Saturday.

It really won't die will it. Sucks about the economic climate.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#471 Post by ricecrackers » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:32 pm

the Advertiser wont let it die

i doubt the $100 million will get spent on AAMI now in any case thanks to the economy. that would be seen as irresponsible.

at the very least there should be a proper feasibility study done and a range of options considered and costed.

who are the "Civic Trust" anyway? ...never heard of them. do they work for News Ltd?
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#472 Post by Prince George » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:49 pm

ricecrackers wrote:who are the "Civic Trust" anyway? ...never heard of them. do they work for News Ltd?
Searching brings up http://civictrust.net.au/. It seems that they are a group that's been around for 40 years and in some ways are similar to Sensational-Adelaide. From their History section:
In 1967 a symposium was organised in Adelaide to address the poor quality of urban development that had become prevalent in Australia in the 1960s. Robin Boyd’s recent writings had summarised some of the issues and the South Australian community decided to take action to determine how to improve our urban environment. A keynote speaker from Sydney was invited to give the keynote address.

The aim was to determine a strategy and the outcome was the establishment in South Australia in 1969 of an Australian Civic Trust based on the UK model with a focus on quality in urban development driven by public demand.

Originally named the Civic Trust of South Australia Inc., the Trust is a proudly independent and voluntary association based in Adelaide. It seeks community views on civic issues and coordinates responses by community representatives, leaders and experts to encourage higher civic standards for the community’s benefit.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#473 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:40 pm

'The Opposition has promised a new super stadium in the centre of Adelaide
Haha, I don't know if Hamilton-Smith cringes everytime something like that is mentioned or enjoys being taken out of context if it means increasing his popularity, because he has never promised such a thing. Every time he has been quoted on the topic he has said he would look at it and that it is one option along with redevlopment of AAMI. If he gets into Government he will simply say the funds don't allow it no doubt blaming his predecessors.

I am surprised there are people out there who think it is a possibility.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#474 Post by Wayno » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:15 pm

Prince George wrote:Searching brings up http://civictrust.net.au/. It seems that they are a group that's been around for 40 years and in some ways are similar to Sensational-Adelaide.
There is no "contact us" info on their website, but they are in the whitepages - (08) 8400 4200 (214 wakefield St Adelaide SA 5000). I'm flat out working OS this week - anyone want to call them and invite them to become S-A members? or perhaps request they provide us with more information about their organisation. Definite chance of synergy here...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#475 Post by ricecrackers » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:32 pm

Wayno wrote:
Prince George wrote:Searching brings up http://civictrust.net.au/. It seems that they are a group that's been around for 40 years and in some ways are similar to Sensational-Adelaide.
There is no "contact us" info on their website, but they are in the whitepages - (08) 8400 4200 (214 wakefield St Adelaide SA 5000). I'm flat out working OS this week - anyone want to call them and invite them to become S-A members? or perhaps request they provide us with more information about their organisation. Definite chance of synergy here...
i think it might be one guy with a website/blog who got bit by a radioactive spider.

rather mysterious. one for Media Watch to follow up with the Advertiser on.

show yourself Civic trust!!!

done a bit of research, any hope of synergy looks pretty remote...
It was well attended and the presentation was made by Darian Hiles who has been Chair of the Civic Trust since 2000.

Darian Hiles is a member of the Australian Conservation Foundation and is founding chairman of the Australian World Heritage Network and the Carnival of Adelaide.He was previously a member of Wilderness Society and the Adelaide Parklands Preservation Association.
however...
Vision for Adelaide—Australian
Civic Trust
Your Committee, at its meeting on
17 October received a presentation from
Darian Hiles, Chair of the Australian Civic
Trust, on a vision for Adelaide. Part of
this vision is a proposal to develop major
facilities on railway land west of the
Adelaide Parklands on which there are
already major sports facilities, including
the ETSA netball and Santos athletics
stadiums.
Among other proposed additional public
facilities suggested by the Trust is a car
racing circuit for the Clipsal 500. While
APPA is not opposed to the present
Clipsal 500 arrangements until the lease
runs out in 20 5, it might be worthwhile
considering this proposal by the Civic
Trust as a long-term solution. Also,
another feature of the Civic Trust Vision
is to provide for other sports that require
hard surfaces or indoor facilities and
free the Parklands for use by sports and
recreation activities requiring natural, that is soft, surfaces

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#476 Post by adam73837 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:49 pm

Sunday Mail wrote:
Student's blueprint for 2018 shows new vision

Game’s on for bid

A 22-YEAR-OLD uni student has managed to deliver what the State Government refuses to do - a comprehensive bid for Adelaide to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

Alexander Game spent six months drawing up his blueprint to create a new stadium and upgrade existing facilities to host the Games, famously derided by Treasurer Kevin Foley as a "B Grade sporting event".

The landscape architecture student this week will meet with Opposition Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith, who has advocated an Adelaide bid.

"It's amazing that a 22-year-old student can do it and an entire government cannot," Martin Hamilton-Smith said.

Mr Game estimated it would cost about $2 billion, with half of the budget spent on a new city-centre stadium.

He said the State Government should stare down the global financial crisis by putting Adelaide on the world stage and revitalising the city.

"It is about the Commonwealth Games, but its also about creating this legacy, putting an inner-city stadium in and making transport more efficient," the Adelaide University student said.

"And for me, the Commonwealth Games is just a bonus. You can do all this stuff, which needs to happen anyway."

Leading urban designer James Hayter, who was commissioned by the State Government to produce preliminary master plans for the Marjorie Jackson-Nelson Hospital said it offered a "fresh vision" for the parklands.

"I thought it was just fantastic, what he's done," he said.

However, he said such a plan would require considerable further work to be a serious proposition.

Mr Game's plan would involve setting up three sporting zones in the CBD and the northern and eastern suburbs.

An athletes' village would be built on the clipsal manufacturing site at Bowden and the parklands would be used as outdoor venues for sports such as golf and aquatics.

Mr Game, from St Peters, delivered his proposals to fellow students and design experts at a presentation on Thursday. His lecturer set him on to the project, which took him six months to complete.

Mr Game said the media attention surrounding a bid for the Commonwealth Games earlier this year came as a welcome surprise.

"I thought, 'God, it's great, it makes it a bit more realistic ...and adds more depth'. It's good," he said.

The State Government has ruled out any bid for the event.

Treasurer Kevin Foley said he regretted his "B Grade" remark about the Games, which he made at a business lunch in August.

The Australian Commonwealth Games Federation will meet on November 29 to decide whether Australia will bid for the 2018 Games and has asked for expressions of interest lodged before then.

The Gold Coast has announced it will bid, while the WA Government is conducting a feasability study into a Perth move.

Federation chief executive Perry Crosswhite has previously said Adelaide would be a strong contender if it joined the running.

The host city will be announced in 2011.

Mr Game also won praise from Jason Schulz, a member of the Adelaide 2050 group of designers and a director of the prominent city firm, Dash Architects. "The overall concept is logical and extremely well considered," Mr Schulz said.

"It highlights the fact that we shouldn't be apprehensive about permitting appropriate and contained development within our parklands.

"The concept to develop the former Clipsal site as an athletes' village is ideal.

His proposal shows a great sense of maturity."

Andrew Vorrasi, SA president of the Australian Institute of Architects, described the plan as "bold".

"I think it looks quite positive," he said.

But he warned: "I think the big impediment seems to be what is happening with the world's financial meltdown."

Mr Game, who describes himself as "apolitical", approached the Liberals during his research.

"We think it's terrific and it just shows the enthusiasm that exists within young people in particular," Mr Hamilton-Smith said.

A spokesman for Premier Mike Rann said there would be no comment on the plan.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 36,00.html:
Adelaide Now wrote:IT is encouraging that not everyone in South Australia takes such a negative view of our future as our State Government.

Adelaide University student Alexander Game has put forward a detailed proposal for an Adelaide bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games – an event classed as "B Grade" by Treasurer Kevin Foley earlier this year.
The 22-year-old landscape architecture student, who has included the long-term benefits of Games infrastructure in his plan, clearly understands that sometimes you have to spend money to makemoney. It is a concept clearly lost on Mike Rann's Government.

A Commonwealth Games would be the perfect opportunity to rejuvenate this city.

Apart from the obvious benefits a new inner-city multi-sports stadium would bring, public transport would be overhauled, community facilities for the minor sports would be improved and an athletes' village would provide much-needed housing.

And for a state that increasingly relies on the tourism dollar, what about the message such an event sends to the world?

Tens of thousands of foreign tourists who would usually never leave the east coast would be lured to South Australia. And if the Games were done well, they would return home raving about the place.

Try putting a price on that.

And there is another ancillary benefit that could be worth as much as a Commonwealth Games.

Australia is likely to bid for the 2018 soccer World Cup – a bid that at this stage may not include Adelaide. But a Commonwealth Games stadium would change everything.

Not only would it strengthen Australia's World Cup bid, it would guarantee that this city – if Australia won the bid – would host supporters from at least four nations for a minimum of eight games.

What's that worth to the state?

Every mainland state capital has had the honour of hosting the Games – except Adelaide.

When Melbourne put its hand up to host the 2006 version, there were eyebrows raised.

Many doubted the relevance, not just of the Games, but of the Commonwealth itself. Those doubts were washed away in a two-week festival of sport that attracted massive crowds and huge television ratings.

When it was over, there was no financial black hole. And the city is still reaping the benefits of two weeks of unlimited positive publicity.

Other Australian cities have taken note. Already Perth and Brisbane have indicated they will fight for the right to be the one Australian city allowed to bid for the 2018 Games.

Unless the State Government moves fast, Adelaide will miss the boat. Again.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#477 Post by Wayno » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:56 pm

Is Alexander Game a member of S-A? i'd love to see his proposal...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#478 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:54 pm

*tears hair out*

ok.. i'm with Kevin Foley on this, the Commonwealth games (might as well be called the Australia games :roll: ) are a b-grade sporting event, remember in Melboure the chaser trying to give away tickets :P

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JkjlBG3sX-8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JkjlBG3sX-8&hl=de&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

so why would Adelaide and the SA government want to spend $2billion on building facilities for the CG when we are barely able to gather up $2billion for our fucked public transport system...IMO we need to fix public transport, infrastrucutre, health and education...then we can think about having a commonwealth games or Olympic games (gawd i kno which one i'd prefer :roll: ) by 2020 or 2030

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#479 Post by ghs » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:28 pm

Is it true that the plans to upgrade AAMI will be released soon ? I thought I heard
a couple of months back that they would be released in December.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#480 Post by crawf » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:50 am

I highly doubt Perth will bid for them either, especially with the current credit crunch and new liberal government.