#VIS: Riverside (Entertainment Precinct)

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Riverside

#1 Post by AG » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:46 pm

Hamilton-Smith's grand vision for Adelaide

MILES KEMP
April 05, 2009 10:30pm

PLANS for a city sports stadium, a Federation Square-style plaza and an entertainment centre have been unveiled by the state Opposition as its vision for Adelaide's city fringe.
The Riverside West plan leaves virtually no area unchanged in a swath of public land and parklands bounded by North Terrace, King William Rd, War Memorial Dr, Port Rd, Henley Beach Rd and West Tce.

The plan involves a new multipurpose sports stadium as its centrepiece, two pedestrian bridges across the Torrens Lake, a relocated entertainment centre, amphitheatre at Elder Park, a science and technology centre, a large plaza and also a second Torrens weir.

Along with the Liberal Party plan to rebuild the RAH at its existing site, the new concept will draw the battlelines for the state election in March next year.

It will compete directly against the State Government's planned $1.7 billion hospital at the railyards, which lie at the heart of the Riverside West site.

"Adelaide needs its `mojo' back and this is the way to do it," Opposition Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith declares in a copy of the policy document supplied to The Advertiser. "South Australians will have the opportunity to have their say (at the election) on March 20, 2010.

"The State Liberals will rebuild and renew the Royal Adelaide Hospital at its existing site and we will put in place more exciting plans for Riverside West.

"This is the other half of the hospital debate – let the debate begin."

If elected in 2010, Mr Hamilton-Smith would begin work on his plan in 2013; the stadium would not be ready until 2018 or 2022, depending on the World Cup soccer bid.

An international competition to design the redevelopment would begin immediately, with the winner announced in 2011 and a master plan released later that year.

Critics will likely focus on the lack of funding and costing – the only money outlined is a $157 million commitment by the State Government for land works at the site.

Based on similar projects in other states, the plan could cost well in excess of $1 billion, but no total costing has been released for Riverside West nor any details of how the money would be raised from private developers.

The Advertiser understands up to four syndicates of private developers have pitched concepts to the Liberals which are compatible with the Riverside West vision and would provide a large component of the funding. Mr Hamilton-Smith said he expected private developers to provide about three-quarters of the funding for the city stadium and around a quarter of the costing for the remainder of the plan.

However, an updated plan, to be released after public consultation, could provide more private-sector opportunities.

Mr Hamilton-Smith said costings would change in the next six months as public consultation shaped the concept plan.

However, yesterday he gave a commitment to release "within weeks" costings and viability for the most significant aspect of Riverside West – the stadium. The Federal Government would be asked to contribute to infrastructure such as railway work and the Adelaide City Council to parks works.

A relocated entertainment centre, next to the Morphett St bridge, would be able to host both concerts and major exhibitions, capitalising on its proximity to the existing convention centre.

Mr Hamilton-Smith said now was the time to plan for the years following the economic downturn and likened the Riverside West redevelopment to Melbourne's Docklands, Sydney's Darling Harbour and Brisbane's Southbank.

"Now is the time for vision and excitement about where we are heading in the next period of growth," he said.

"Too often governments get paralysed by economic downturns, or miss opportunities from upturns.

"Now is the time to plan and begin a project that will deliver pride in our city, jobs in our city and a legacy for our city.

Legga
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Development on Westend railyards

#2 Post by Legga » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:55 pm

Brilliant!

Mants
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by Mants » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:14 pm

i am very impressed with our state's opposition.
they actually have vision.
and judging by the amount of "new" buildings and cranes in that artist impression, i get the hint that they are also keen on taller buildings in this area.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Mants » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:16 pm

these also from adelaidenow:

Zills
Gold-Member ;)

#5 Post by Zills » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:20 pm

notice the high rise buildings and cranage around the hindley street area!

nice plan MHS

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

Re: #VIS: Riverside (Entertainment Precinct)

#6 Post by kenget » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:51 pm

Now we just need to convince Labor to do the same!

deano91
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by deano91 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:56 pm

My question is about what the Liberal's plans for the PT network are. If they can come up with some decent plans for the network, then I'm well and truly convinced as to who my selection in 2010 will be!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Howie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:59 pm

Just split this topic from "Development on the Western Railyards" thread for better readability.

From my understanding, this is just one phase of Riverside. Other options can/will include, relocation of Adelaide Velodrome to the CBD, possibly more commercial space for organisations looking for expansion (e.g. Adelaide Convention Centre, Skycity etc), 5 star hotels, a new science centre, relocation of keswick station to a new CBD station, even a small monorail. How would it all be paid for? Take velodrome for example, you sell land at the velodrome at today's prices, and you're looking at hundreds of millions of dollars... do that over a few sites (e.g. other stadiums in SA), and you kill two birds with the one stone ... that is you solve the Housing crisis we have, and bring everything into new facilities in the CBD. The private partnership scheme could be setup similar to how the Crown precinct was built. Bingo... a new entertainment precinct that pays for itself. Together with the costs saved by not building a new hospital but redeveloping the current RAH, you've saved another billion dollars right there. Really is a no brainer.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#VIS: Riverside (Entertainment Precinct)

#9 Post by Prince George » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:06 am

Howie, do you really suppose that you could sell the velodrome out at Gepps Cross for anything like as much as it will cost to build a new one in the CBD? As for housing, that's really playing a shell-game: you need a velodrome sized parcel of land to build the new one on, you could alternatively build housing there instead.
Mants wrote:and judging by the amount of "new" buildings and cranes in that artist impression, i get the hint that they are also keen on taller buildings in this area.
The cranes and towers in the renders are put there to serve the same purpose as the smiling crowds of imaginary people (whose shadows are falling to the North :) ) - to give an impression of inevitable success. Especially for an election centrepiece, you need to treat those little "subliminal messages" with a touch of suspicion. It's like the strawberries on the cornflakes box, just a serving suggestion not a promise.

For myself, this is a white-elephant. If the state's got a billion dollars to throw at this thing, I've got a different set of priorities. Any time there's talk of stadiums and jobs or civic pride, I get very suspicious, for reasons I've explained elsewhere. I can't help but think that our civic pride might get a better boost if we ceased having some of the worst unemployment figures in the country, so I'd rather put more money into job and business creation, instead of these mega-project mirages.

As for the private partnerships making it pay for itself - keep an eye out for subsidies, tax-breaks and deal-sweeteners before saying what the cost to the state is.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Howie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:10 am

Prince George wrote:Howie, do you really suppose that you could sell the velodrome out at Gepps Cross for anything like as much as it will cost to build a new one in the CBD?
Ahh.. but you see the velodrome is all steel, you could just unbolt it and move it with big trucks ;)
As for the private partnerships making it pay for itself - keep an eye out for subsidies, tax-breaks and deal-sweeteners before saying what the cost to the state is.
That is a valid point. Can someone tell me what the financial arrangement between the Kennett Government and Crown was for redeveloping the crown/yarra site? I'm still new to this myself. Perhaps it wasn't called a PPP, I obviously need someone to explain it alot better than I have.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Pistol » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:31 am

I think that it looks cheap and nasty and not too well thought out.

In one corner we have Rann:
public transport overhaul and new state of the art hospital.

In the other corner we have MHS:
Stadium and entertainment centre (haven't we already got one of these?) and redeveloped hospital.

I know who I'm voting for...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Hippodamus » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:52 am

I agree that the stadium plans appear somewhat preliminary, but i definitely think this is the way to go for Adelaide..

I too know who i am voting for.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Matt » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:59 am

I've never voted Liberal and thought I never would, but if this is what they're going to deliver, I'm sold.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Howie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:01 am

Didn't one organisation say they wanted to move from an old railway last week? Timing is uncanny isn't it. :wink:

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by adam_stuckey » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:10 am

I really hope this goes ahead! I think every CBD small business owner should get together and campaign for this to happen it is so far in their best interests its not funny. I'm not really sure about the entertainment centre though what will happen to the old one? but if they start playing NBL there as well as concerts i think that would be useful.

It just makes so much sense to have everyone around coming to the place where public transport is the best. Instead of building the public transport to where people want to go. The city has over 100,000 people coming to it almost every day it just makes sense.
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month