PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #U/C: Port Adelaide Tram Line

#1186 Post by AG » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:18 am

capitalist wrote:I must have missed the part about the trams going to semaphore ?

did they upgrade that expecting them?

not saying its a bad idea (its not) I just didn't realise it was an idea.
The upgrade was taken by the Port Adelaide Enfield council if I'm not mistaken, and it does not appear that the tram extension has been accounted for. The vision seems to be to run trams through to Semaphore via the existing heavy rail corridor to Glanville with some street running around Port Adelaide although there is yet to be any solid proposal put through.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#1187 Post by Shuz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:24 am

Has anyone taken a look on NearMap lately? The encroachment of the tramline/roadworks onto the Parklands is absolutely tragic. When you see it from the aerial perspective, it really highlights just how impacting the works have been, comparable to what you see and judge from street-level. Frankly I'm surprised how the respective stakeholders allowed this to happen. Call me a NIMBY, but it seems the APPS fell asleep at the wheel with this one?

Honestly also, was there absolutely any need for two stops at West Terrace? It seems like overkill to me. Melbourne has far busier stops, with less space. They seem to cope fine. If there's any priority for doubling space at stops; it'd would have to be Rundle Mall. Even so, I wouldn't advocate that.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1188 Post by Waewick » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:35 am

AG wrote:
capitalist wrote:I must have missed the part about the trams going to semaphore ?

did they upgrade that expecting them?

not saying its a bad idea (its not) I just didn't realise it was an idea.
The upgrade was taken by the Port Adelaide Enfield council if I'm not mistaken, and it does not appear that the tram extension has been accounted for. The vision seems to be to run trams through to Semaphore via the existing heavy rail corridor to Glanville with some street running around Port Adelaide although there is yet to be any solid proposal put through.
Ahh, fair enough

cheers

Aidan

#1189 Post by Aidan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:17 am

Shuz wrote:Has anyone taken a look on NearMap lately? The encroachment of the tramline/roadworks onto the Parklands is absolutely tragic. When you see it from the aerial perspective, it really highlights just how impacting the works have been, comparable to what you see and judge from street-level. Frankly I'm surprised how the respective stakeholders allowed this to happen. Call me a NIMBY, but it seems the APPS fell asleep at the wheel with this one?
But nearly all of it is temporary. The roadworks will be gone soon. Only around the junction of N and W Terrace is the corridor significantly wider, and for most of the route it hasn't been widened at all.
Honestly also, was there absolutely any need for two stops at West Terrace? It seems like overkill to me. Melbourne has far busier stops, with less space. They seem to cope fine. If there's any priority for doubling space at stops; it'd would have to be Rundle Mall. Even so, I wouldn't advocate that.
The extra track isn't because of the number of passengers using it, it's to enable trams to terminate there. An extra central track is a better solution than the turnback sidings they have at South Terrace.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Nort

#1190 Post by Nort » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Shuz wrote:Has anyone taken a look on NearMap lately? The encroachment of the tramline/roadworks onto the Parklands is absolutely tragic. When you see it from the aerial perspective, it really highlights just how impacting the works have been, comparable to what you see and judge from street-level. Frankly I'm surprised how the respective stakeholders allowed this to happen. Call me a NIMBY, but it seems the APPS fell asleep at the wheel with this one?
As Aidan said, most of the impact is temporary, so long as those areas are mostly returned to parkland then it's fine. Being next to a new shiny tramline will probably result in those areas of the parklands getting nicer landscaping in the end.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1191 Post by monotonehell » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Once those Parklands are regrassed they can go back to their intended purpose... as a venue for the traveling circuses and the huge temporary carpark next door. Although I bet the circuses will love the fact that the trams travel past now.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1192 Post by rev » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:33 pm

When the section in front of Bonython Park and the bridge were re-done in the late 1990's I believe, they used the parklands for their site huts and heavy machinery.
Not really an issue, I believe they use bore water anyway so plenty of watering to come I'd say.

paul.h
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1193 Post by paul.h » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:52 pm

When the line is operational, do you think that some AM and PM peak services will go from Glenelg to Entercentre or do you think they will terminate in the city and go back to the depot. Seems there might be more dead running. Example, some PM peak services currently come from the depot as Special and commence at City West. Will these services go all the way from the depot to the Entercentre as Special to commence the service to Glenelg or start from North Tce?

As it is now the trams are full by the time they leave the railway station. If they have X amount of passengers from Port Road then they are going to be even more crowded. There is a crossover between North Tce and the Rundle Mall stop so they could actually have a empty tram run from the depot, just past the Rundle Mall stop, driver switches ends and then uses the cross over to commence at the Rundle Mall stop empty. Then people at Rundle Mall and Pirie Street at least will get a seat.

Also I note some works occurring on the side of the road on North Tce where the single track is. There is a possiblity they are clearing the left hand side to create a right-hook turn to then duplicate this section. If they leave as is there could be trams backed up along north tce trying to get through.

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#1194 Post by BillD » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:05 pm

Here are a couple of shots from Adelaide's Entertainment Centre extension taken on February the 14th 2010.

In the first, Flexity 106 is in the City West stop. Just past the tram is the point where the the extension trackwork was connected over the weekend.
The West Tce stop's roof is barely visible just above the road in the far distance.

The second shot features the canopy going up on the Port Rd / Light Tce stop. The track veers left (where the articulated bus is crossing) for the run up to West Tce stop.

Xaragmata

#1195 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Edited for Tonsley213
Last edited by Xaragmata on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#1196 Post by Tonsley213 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:34 pm

The viaduct has nothing to do with the tram.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1197 Post by monotonehell » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:56 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:The viaduct has nothing to do with the tram.
I think all our rail threads are cross-pollinating.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

paul.h
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1198 Post by paul.h » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:09 pm

Give it 10 years and the tram will go over the viaduct. :D

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1199 Post by AG » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:49 pm

I walked the entire length of the construction site yesterday. The shelter for the Light Terrace stop has gone up, and glass is currently being assembled on the Entertainment Centre stop. Still no sign of the Philip Street stop though and Southwark Bridge over the Torrens has yet to be widened. The traffic signals at North Terrace and George Street have been switched on but this intersection may be confusing for those trying to turn right into George Street as traffic must enter a bay from the left side in order to turn right. Pics soon.

Waewick

#1200 Post by Waewick » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:43 pm

paul.h wrote:Give it 10 years and the tram will go over the viaduct. :D
given we live in Adelaide, give it 10 years and the tramline will probably be getting ripped out