Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Beer Garden

#766 Post by Queen Anne » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:53 pm

veemur wrote:

Welcome home, Queen Anne! Appreciate your thoughts.

And, yes - there is so much to be proud of in our fair city!
Adelaide is rated in the top ten of the world's most liveable cities. (Feb 2010) The Economist - annual survey http://bit.ly/akY5Gx

Will be interested to hear more of your views on changes, directions etc.
Thanks for the welcome home veemur :)

I think the thing that strikes me most about my return home is how much I took this place for granted. For example, while we were in Seattle George and I discovered a great radio station called KEXP, a listener supported station where the announcers program their own shows. During their pledge drives they would mention how rare independent radio is in America. And even more interesting is the fact that they broadcast into New York City from Seattle - so there seems to be some strange story there about the state of independent radio in NYC. It made me think of lil ol' Adelaide and Three D Radio. I was really proud to think our city can sustain something like this. Shame on me that I have never subscribed to Three D. Lesson learnt.

It's a similar story with our independent shops and places like the Central Market. While I was away I learnt that the way I shop matters to me. I want to shop where I can feel closer to my food, and closer to my community. I took my local butcher for granted, I didn't patronise my local greengrocer or baker enough and they closed down. Living in America - a place that is horribly dominated by "big retail" - made me realise how precious these small businesses are. I am really bothered to see examples of American style retail, with its box stores and power centres, popping up all over Adelaide - even at the end of my own street :( where Super Amart and Baby Bunting have moved in along with their ugly, soulless building and their large carpark. This is a change in Adelaide that I personally dread. But I can see it happening, and reasonably fast too.

On a happier note, I think Adelaide seems a bit busier and livelier than before we left. We have been enjoying going into town and people watching. After living in Seattle (which didn't strike me as an especially culturally diverse place) I've been enjoying seeing so many people from other countries making their home in Adelaide. Our city is definitely a more interesting place due to our multiculturalism. We are lucky to have such a diverse community. We do notice, though, that when we are in town on the weekend daytimes the city is still rather quiet. That's a shame, and it seems sad that there are so many empty buildings in town that could be filled with people whose residence would help ensure life beyond office hours. George and I would move into town now, if only there was somewhere we could afford to live.

Before I go I thought I'd explain my strong negative reaction to the SA Water building. The building is not awful in itself, but I can't like it because I just don't think it's good enough for the location it's in. It seems like being on Vic Square doesn't matter a fig to this building - it could be anywhere. Such an opportunity lost to lift the expectations around the square. That sad little concrete plaza to the north is baffling in its awfulness.

Anyway, I've gone on more than I intended, but I could probably go on all day - it's so interesting to be able to look at your hometown through new eyes!

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#767 Post by Omicron » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:18 pm

Is it me (and as a consequence, my area), or has anyone noticed that the remaining local small businesses are of a higher quality than before? It seems to me that the last remaining butcher in my suburb is bloody good, the fish and chip shop is excellent, the Chinese takeaway is always bustling, and so on, as opposed to the hit-and-miss nature of past years. It does show that people are willing to support local business if they offer a product that is demonstrably better than the (often cheaper) equivalent from large retailers. Food for thought, perhaps - being simply local is no longer good enough.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#768 Post by AtD » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:20 am

Queen Anne wrote:Before I go I thought I'd explain my strong negative reaction to the SA Water building. The building is not awful in itself, but I can't like it because I just don't think it's good enough for the location it's in. It seems like being on Vic Square doesn't matter a fig to this building - it could be anywhere. Such an opportunity lost to lift the expectations around the square. That sad little concrete plaza to the north is baffling in its awfulness.
In SA Water's defense: What else could you put there? It's a bus layover area so it'd be a horrible place for hospitality or retail. That's not the developer's fault. Likewise, the southern corner of the ground level looks like it's been set up to be easily reconfigured should the opportunity arise.

And the little plaza to the north has always been there, for the church to do outdoor events. It just used to be mud and grass so this is vast improvement.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#769 Post by Prince George » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:59 pm

AtD wrote:In SA Water's defense: What else could you put there? It's a bus layover area so it'd be a horrible place for hospitality or retail. That's not the developer's fault. Likewise, the southern corner of the ground level looks like it's been set up to be easily reconfigured should the opportunity arise.

And the little plaza to the north has always been there, for the church to do outdoor events. It just used to be mud and grass so this is vast improvement.
I don't follow why being a layover site makes it horrible for other uses. By that logic, a busy street or carpark would be the same, but we have examples of retail and dining in locations like that. In any case, the site was owned by the State, as is the street, it was within their power to change that layout. Could the plan have instead had the entire site shifted forward to join that lonely leftover triangle and make each a more interesting space, and then have the bus layover routed behind them? Instead, the State sold the site to the church to allow them to build the tower that SA Water then moved into. Which, to my mind, makes each of them culpable again for the ongoing wretched state of the area.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#770 Post by Will » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Prince George wrote:
AtD wrote:In SA Water's defense: What else could you put there? It's a bus layover area so it'd be a horrible place for hospitality or retail. That's not the developer's fault. Likewise, the southern corner of the ground level looks like it's been set up to be easily reconfigured should the opportunity arise.

I don't follow why being a layover site makes it horrible for other uses. By that logic, a busy street or carpark would be the same, but we have examples of retail and dining in locations like that. In any case, the site was owned by the State, as is the street, it was within their power to change that layout. Could the plan have instead had the entire site shifted forward to join that lonely leftover triangle and make each a more interesting space, and then have the bus layover routed behind them? Instead, the State sold the site to the church to allow them to build the tower that SA Water then moved into. Which, to my mind, makes each of them culpable again for the ongoing wretched state of the area.
The old tram barn site was owned by the Catholic Church since before the SA Water proposal was announced. indeed, I have a 'Southern Cross' article from 2001, in which the church states its intentions to develop the old tram barn site.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#771 Post by Queen Anne » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:47 pm

I can't forget that newspaper article that came out back when SA Water was approved. The Lord Mayor said "For the future of the city it's so important to activate the centre and have it thronging with people". There is a definite discrepancy between the way this was sold to the people of Adelaide and the result we have in front of us. I wonder where the truth of the matter lies. Were the ACC and the Catholic Church (the developer, as I understand it) on the same page here? It seems, to me at least, like the church saw this development as a business investment more than they saw it as a legacy for the city.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#772 Post by monotonehell » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Queen Anne wrote:I can't forget that newspaper article that came out back when SA Water was approved. The Lord Mayor said "For the future of the city it's so important to activate the centre and have it thronging with people". There is a definite discrepancy between the way this was sold to the people of Adelaide and the result we have in front of us. I wonder where the truth of the matter lies. Were the ACC and the Catholic Church (the developer, as I understand it) on the same page here? It seems, to me at least, like the church saw this development as a business investment more than they saw it as a legacy for the city.
The ground level could be 'active' with the right tenants. However it's a bit of chicken and egg. Did the proposed cafe' move in? I've not walked down that side of the Square in a few months.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#773 Post by AtD » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:03 pm

I honestly don't get the gripe against SA Water. I agree it could be better, but I wouldn't call it bad. It's still the most active street frontage on the eastern side of the Square.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#774 Post by Wayno » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:07 pm

monotonehell wrote:The ground level could be 'active' with the right tenants. However it's a bit of chicken and egg. Did the proposed cafe' move in? I've not walked down that side of the Square in a few months.
yep - the cafe is there, and the ground floor is actually a pleasant place to hang out - lots of light, remote conversations don't echo around the room (i'm quite surprised about that), and there's nice views (through the big windows) out to the paved area immediately north of the building and NW across the square.

I like the building.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#775 Post by Shuz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:13 pm

I love the SA Water building!

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#776 Post by jk1237 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:54 pm

there are 2 gigantic astronauts in a pink dress in Victoria Square. I think I will go back in with my camera. They look cool, and funny

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#777 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 pm

jk1237 wrote:there are 2 gigantic astronauts in a pink dress in Victoria Square. I think I will go back in with my camera. They look cool, and funny
They're for the Fringe, there's an upsidedown one showing her knickers at the Garden of Unearthly Delights. I think there's meant to be others around the CBD.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#778 Post by iTouch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:40 pm

who's going to the opening night for the Fringe?
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#779 Post by jk1237 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:03 pm

iTouch(myself) wrote:who's going to the opening night for the Fringe?
is the pope catholic?

welcome to our fringe people

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#780 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:20 am

jk1237 wrote:
iTouch(myself) wrote:who's going to the opening night for the Fringe?
is the pope catholic?

welcome to our fringe people
Astronauts are currently on the belltower south webcam: http://www.cityofadelaide.com.au/attrac ... 1242282251