News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Double Derailment at Glengowrie

#1 Post by AG » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:24 am

Two derailments occurred yesterday outside Glengowrie depot, making it three since the upgrade in the same place. The first occurred around the Glenelg side of the triangle as the tram may have sped around the track that has not been upgraded. The second occurred at the crossover on the City side of the traingle.

Thousands stranded as two trams come off rails
By SAM RICHES
19sep05
TWO separate tram derailments within metres - and minutes - of each other left thousands stranded after completing the Sunday Mail City-Bay Fun Run yesterday.

People were forced to walk back into the city to catch public transport or wait for up to two hours for replacement buses on Anzac Highway.

TransAdelaide organised the additional buses, mini-buses and taxis free of charge, but with the sheer numbers of participants and spectators, the queues were long and the wait even longer.

TransAdelaide general manager Bill Watson apologised.

"We're very sorry we have inconvenienced everyone and taken the shine off what would otherwise be a great day for Adelaide," he said.

While he would not comment on the cause of the derailments, other than to say they were under investigation, The Advertiser understands both were the result of human error.

Rail, Tram and Bus Industry Union state secretary Ray Hancox said drivers could face disciplinary action if they were found to be at fault.

Mr Hancox also was concerned the track inside the depot was at least 70 years old and had not been upgraded with the rest of the tram tracks.

The first tram derailed at Glengowrie, after leaving the depot for Glenelg. It is understood the driver came out of the depot too fast for the bend.

City-Bay competitors were told of the accident at Glenelg and advised to walk to Glengowrie, where a tram would take them into the city.

Gina Scalzi caught a tram to Glenelg to meet her husband, Tony, after the run. The couple was forced to walk, carrying daughters Alexia, 6, and Nicola, 2, from Glenelg to Glengowrie.

"It's the last thing I want to be doing," said Tony.

A second tram, coming from the city, was shunted back to Glengowrie, where tired runners were converging.

After the first incident, the automatic switching system for the tramline reverted to manual operation. The Advertiser understands the second tram was given the signal to proceed but the switch had not been moved correctly and the tram simply drove off the rails.

"At the moment we are undertaking an investigation into the derailment, so it would be speculation to say if there was a similar circumstance to the derailment in August this year," Mr Watson said.

That tram also derailed coming out of the depot, and The Advertiser understands the tight bend and speed were contributing factors.

Opposition transport spokesman Robert Brokenshire called for an urgent inquiry into the condition of the new tracks.

"I'll be pursuing this in the Parliament," he said.

It is the third time in a month there has been a derailment - a Glenelg-bound tram derailed near Morphett Rd on August 15.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2 Post by Algernon » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:30 am

"Attention passengers, there's been a couple of derailments today, would you like to walk to Glengowrie and catch another tram?"

...i'll pass thanks :lol:

Mr Brokenshire, you can have your cute little inquiry. No really, run along now and find a way to get elected :roll:

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by sam » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:47 am

chris wrote:"Attention passengers, there's been a couple of derailments today, would you like to walk to Glengowrie and catch another tram?"
It seems one of the 'major supporters' had their own bus and gave people free rides.
( http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... m?t=399957 )

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by AG » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:09 pm

Another derailment occurred in the same area of Glengowrie yesterday afternooon. The reports seem to point the problem between the clashing of the new steel rail on the upgraded track with the old track into the depot at the Glengowrie triangle.

Glenelg tram jumps tracks - again
By XANTHE KLEINIG
28sep05
THE fourth tram derailment in six weeks has occurred on the city-to-Glenelg line and investigators are at a loss to explain the spate of accidents.

Services were disrupted yesterday afternoon when a tram derailed at the Glengowrie depot about 2.15pm.

It was the fourth such incident since August 15. All the derailments have been at low-speed and no one has been hurt. Passengers took replacement buses and limited tram services until 7 o'clock last night when the service reverted to normal. TransAdelaide general manager Bill Watson said no "common contributing factor" had been found for the four tram derailments.

He said the latest accident was not on the same section of track as earlier derailments. "There are a number of likely causes, including the condition of the track, human factors and the trams themselves, but we don't want to jump to any conclusions," Mr Watson said.

Opposition transport spokesman Robert Brokenshire called for an independent inquiry into the construction of the Glenelg to Victoria Square tramline.

A spokesman for Minister for Transport Patrick Conlon said the minister was waiting for a detailed report.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Adelaide's trams, 1952

#5 Post by AtD » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:10 pm

This was posted on RailPage, and I thought you guys might find it interesting:

http://gallery.railpage.com.au/modules. ... _photo.php
Kinda sad.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Ben » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:17 pm

Wow, that's so comprehensive and we tore that up why? Imagine the amount of money it must have cost to rip up every single one of those tram lines, wonder if there was an uproar about that at the time.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by stelaras » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:00 pm

I cant believe we ripped all of this up.....

Its a pretty comprehensive tram system....Imagine those lines still in place today, there would be little need to drive into the city....what bliss and little polution!

Re-build them i say!

(now....before anyone chastises me....i know im dreaming, there is no way the state government will do it

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Will » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:15 pm

It is trully disgusting to think that we tore up such a comprehensive system. It defies belief and common sense.

bva
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by bva » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:36 pm

dont forget the Mats Plan
cars were the way of the future!!

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Edgar » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:37 am

cannot understand the map in the photo. Is the thick bold lines supposed to be the tram lines? I thought they are the main roads?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by AtD » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:12 pm

edgar_raphael wrote:cannot understand the map in the photo. Is the thick bold lines supposed to be the tram lines? I thought they are the main roads?
Nope, they're the old tram lines.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Edgar » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:41 pm

isnt it similar to our roads route now? So does that mean most of our roads route/design are derived from the tram lines?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by AtD » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:05 pm

Trams run on roads...

Captain Howdy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#14 Post by Captain Howdy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:13 pm

tragic, just tragic :( I think a tram down the parade would be awesome now

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Al » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:08 am

Just wondering if trams are cost effective when compared to buses. The extra $120m could be split between buses and trams. I'd say once the infrastructure is gone, there's little chance of getting much of it back in place.