[U/C] 88 O'Connell Street | 63m | 13, 13 and 15 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: #APP: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | 20m | 6lvls | Mixed

#616 Post by how_good_is_he » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:22 pm

As soon as the banks/financiers agree to lend the money....

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] Re: APP: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | 20m | 6lvls | Mixed

#617 Post by Will » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:21 am

Many of you never thought the day would actually come.

From the Advertiser:
Finally, work will start on old Le Cornu site

AARON MacDONALD From: The Advertiser April 21, 2010 12:01AM

Con Makris finally ready to begin work on the O'Connell St LeCornu site after 22 years. Picture: Mark Brake Source: AdelaideNow

DEVELOPMENT on the former Le Cornu site in North Adelaide will begin tomorrow - after 22 years.

Bulldozers will begin demolishing buildings on the O'Connell St block. Developer Con Makris will build a $170 million, multi-storey boutique hotel, apartment and retail complex.

"Twenty-two years - it's a very long time," he said.

"It will be a big day for me. I'm very excited. The people of Adelaide deserve the best, and that is what I will bring them. This will be the heart of Adelaide.

"Every city has a street that it is known for. I want O'Connell St to be that street."

Le Cornu vacated the site in 1988. In 2001, the Makris Group acquired it and other buildings on the same block.

Since then, Mr Makris said he had spent more than $30 million just holding on to the site as he sought planning approval from Adelaide City Council.

Mr Makris said the project only materialised because the State Government granted major project status. "For 22 years, I have fought with them," he said. "It is the biggest disgrace in Adelaide's history."

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison was not available for comment.

North Adelaide councillor Anne Moran, an opponent of the development, said: "Building something like this out on the periphery just sucks the life out of the city. It's too big for this dormitory suburb. On the plus side, we won't have to look at that vacant block any more."

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#618 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:50 am

About bloody time!, shoo Ms Moran.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: #APP: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | 20m | 6lvls | Mixed

#619 Post by Waewick » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:08 am

how_good_is_he wrote:No not my point at all. The developer will be the one that stands to lose the most, not the bank/financier [the bank takes their money back first and may only lend say 65% of the end value, so they have far less risk than the developer].
but they still put more up in the first place and the developer is set to earn more.... I reckon I know who is in the worse position.

ghs

#620 Post by ghs » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:10 am

"Every city has a street that it is known for. I want O'Connell St to be that street."
I think O'Connell St has a lot of potential, especially given the fact that AFL
will be played at Adelaide oval in 2014. I am sure the pubs on Oconnell street
would have been very happy a few weeks ago when Mike Rann won the election.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#621 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:22 am

I noticed the article didn;t mention anything about construction starting only that some buildings are getting demolished which we have known about for months... wonder if construction is actually going to start this year.

Heaps more renders on the website:

http://www.makris.com.au/oc.html

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#622 Post by frank1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:30 am

i wonder if this new building will turn out anything like the renders look. $150mill is not a huge amount for a 'luxurious' hotel complex.

harryjotter
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#623 Post by harryjotter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 am

Yes. And I'm wondering when the "boutique hotel" idea happened. Dont remember that in the plans & its not mentioned on the Makris web-site. It's all a bit rubbery.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#624 Post by Prince George » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

I had no idea that Con Makris looked so much like Bert Newton. In fact, the picture of him reminded me a little of the building itself: a little too cleaned up and sanitized. I am still hopeful of a good outcome for that central courtyard, though; in my imagination I see it having that dynamic between public space (the shoppers on the ground) and private (the apartment balconies around them).
Le Cornu vacated the site in 1988. In 2001, the Makris Group acquired it and other buildings on the same block.
Mr Makris said the project only materialised because the State Government granted major project status. "For 22 years, I have fought with them," he said. "It is the biggest disgrace in Adelaide's history."
Hmm, maybe my maths is wrong but last I checked 2001-2010 is 9 years.
North Adelaide councillor Anne Moran, an opponent of the development, said: "Building something like this out on the periphery just sucks the life out of the city. It's too big for this dormitory suburb. On the plus side, we won't have to look at that vacant block any more."
"Periphery"? "Dormitory suburb"? Councillor, you are aware that Adelaide's urban area stretches somewhat further than the parklands, that O'Connell St isn't in Munno Para?

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#625 Post by stumpjumper » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:15 pm

'Fought for 22 years' - Makris has not fought anyone for 22 years. He has owned the site for less than ten years. Similarly, the claim of $30 million cost of that 'fight' is unsustainable.

Still, exaggeration isn't a hanging offence and I'm happy like everyone else to see the site developed.

However, the saga sets a poor precedent in planning terms. Makris could have developed the site at any time in accordance with one of the four approvals given by ACC, each of which breached the applicable development plan constraints by a reasonable amount, ie up to five levels on a site zoned for three levels.

By hanging on, and by paying the ALP a serious six figure sum, Makris has achieved approval for a seven level regional centre which will have a negative impact on the health of Rundle Mall.

Whether the 'boutique hotel' - Makris has talked about a 'seven star' hotel - will be a real hotel or whether it is code for apartments for sale and lease back on the Karidis model is yet to be seen.

Whether or not the Las Vegas design of the place adds anything to North Adelaide, which is a Heritage Conservation Zone (similar to The Rocks in Sydney or Salamanca Place in Hobart, in theory anyway) also remains to be seen.

In short, it is good that the site is to be built on at last, but there need have been no 'fight' but for the greed of successive owners, and it may be that the resulting non-complying development comes at a high price in its effect on Rundle Mall, its effect on nearby residents, its aesthetic impact and the precedent it sets for future planning decisions.

We are now stuck with what happens. It's a pity that an attractive three or four level mixed retail, commercial and residential development could not have been built here instead. That is what the community and the Council wanted and what the Development Plan envisaged.

skyliner

#626 Post by skyliner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:01 pm

I saw this a 7.50 this morning but thought someone will beat me to it. Just about fell out of my seat - found while looking for City Of Adelaide Cliipper ship info. AT LAST it is happening - that black hole of O'Connell St finally laid to rest. Love the design as it carries some old world elements and is not just another multi level box. Sure their are some carnival like elements but overall a great addition.

Ann Moran's comments - wierd and out of touch - as someone said, Nth Adelaide is not Munno Para.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#627 Post by pushbutton » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:31 pm

Even Munno Para isn't considered to be too far out of the way these days, there are suburbs of Adelaide far beyond it and given that it has a decent size shopping centre and numerous "big box" stores of its own, even though it's so close to Elizabeth Shopping Centre, I would hardly call Munno Para a "dormitory suburb".

As for North Adelaide, it's virtually part of the CBD, and many people work, shop and dine there so it's anything but a dormitory suburb (if there's even such a thing).

Anyway assuming no further problems prevent this going ahead (which is a massive assumption but I'll be optimistic) it sounds like a fairly interesting development. I'm not sure what to make of the design but I'll reserve judgement until I see the finished product - should be ok I think.

Could someone explain how this development could possibly have any impact on Rundle Mall? If they built a new major shopping street with a couple of thousand shops and several big department stores there then maybe it would, but surely this is just a few shops and a small hotel. I can't see it having any impact at all on Rundle Mall.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#628 Post by iTouch » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:36 pm

im getting a vibe that it may turn out like Sydney's Queen Vic and Pitt Street but maybe to a different scale with Rundle Mall still being as successful.
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#629 Post by Will » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:01 pm

stumpjumper wrote:
We are now stuck with what happens. It's a pity that an attractive three or four level mixed retail, commercial and residential development could not have been built here instead. That is what the community and the Council wanted and what the Development Plan envisaged.
Speak for yourself SJ! I doubt there is anyone under 50 who would have preferred some 'lil ol Adelaide' 3 level development that would have been 'nice' yet conservative, and which would have blended into the background over this exciting development.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#630 Post by Brando » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Ben wrote:I noticed the article didn;t mention anything about construction starting only that some buildings are getting demolished which we have known about for months... wonder if construction is actually going to start this year.

Heaps more renders on the website:

http://www.makris.com.au/oc.html
It was on channel 10 news (i think) and they did state construction would start soon.

How soon?....not sure mate.