COM: Glenelg Entertainment Complex

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Maximus_Marc
Gold-Member ;)

#76 Post by Maximus_Marc » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:08 pm

just got back from two nights at the Liberty Towers (had a 3 bedroom apartment) and was great. Views are awesome and Glenelg is so pumping. Reminded me of Melbounre's St Kilda (but better), cars coming and going, so much activity and lots of people/tourists. I had heaps of fun watching the airplanes come and go and seeing the race last night plus last night I got woken up by the thunderstorm and saw amazing lightning strikes over the metro area. You get good views from the 11th floor.

I got a few pictures and a video that I wanna post but first I need to find the cord for transfering pictures onto the computer and then I need someone to post 'em for me because I tried once before and failed.

Captain Howdy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#77 Post by Captain Howdy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:05 pm

my cousins from Sydney (10 & 12 yrs old) took a trip down to the beachouse today and said it was packed. They particually liked the waterslides.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#78 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:32 pm

I am quite impressed with the BeachHouse, but would like it to have been about twice the size, and with twice the number of rides.

Nonetheless it well and truly makes up for the loss of Magic Mountain, and again provides Adelaide with some sort of half decent excuse for a theme park (of sorts)!

Maybe in a few more years if Adelaide continues to become more confident in itself as it has been, and less anti-development, this might happen.

There's plenty of room for expansion and I think the owners would have liked to have made it bigger from the start but didn't dare as the only way they could get it approved in the first place was to guarantee a certain amount of open space and grass around it.

There's ample open space with the beach and colley reserve so I don't think building on the grassed area at the rear of the beach-house would be a problem at all.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#79 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:33 pm

I might also add that whilst it looks alright from the front, the beach-side of the building is quite ugly, as had been said by many people already.

That's a pity, but all the more opportunity to correct this if they extend it out towards the beach a bit! And bring back the sky-cycles please!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#80 Post by AtD » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:49 pm

pushbutton: You may be interested to see what the developers wanted to build back in 2002, because council got to it.
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... =4435#4435

Captain Howdy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#81 Post by Captain Howdy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 pm

AtD wrote:pushbutton: You may be interested to see what the developers wanted to build back in 2002, because council got to it.
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... =4435#4435
Balls. The mini golf is alright but would have been awesome for it to have been bigger and make the train ride around the outside acctually worth it.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#82 Post by pushbutton » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:51 pm

That was interesting Captain Howdy, but it doesn't show much in the way of amusements other than mini-golf and waterslides, plus cinemas (presumably upstairs above the shops and restaurants). Maybe there was more to it but from that illustration it seems like we're better off with what was actually built in terms of rides etc?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#83 Post by AtD » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:52 pm

In general, the complex is smaller than what they wanted.

julikaee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#84 Post by julikaee » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:15 pm

Being a big kid I still haven't warmed to the new Beach House complex. The great decor and vibrant colours just don't make up for the lack of games, rides, amusements. I had high hopes and they were crushed - majorly. Maybe further on when my memory of Magic Mountain begins to wither away in my mind I'll begin to appreciate the Beach House more.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#85 Post by AtD » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:11 am

julikaee: I still prefer Dazzel-land! :D But mostly because it was 8 stories off the ground.

Captain Howdy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#86 Post by Captain Howdy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:41 pm

^^^ agreed :D I miss that ol' rollercoaster, felt like you were going to fly off and plumet to your death in the food courts every time. Acctually kind of the same feeling you used to get on the Magic Mountain waterslides. The Beachouse ones are deffinately alot more "conservative". Anyhow, might take a trip to the Bay today and see if theres anything new on the ferris wheel front.

Maximus_Marc
Gold-Member ;)

#87 Post by Maximus_Marc » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:49 pm

Yeah Dazzel Land was a great. That should have never gone! didn't they get ride of it because some development was supposed to take place in the top part of the myer center (looks no better now if not duller). And yeah Captain Howdy I know the corner you are talking about. I remember it well :)

Does anyone have any pictures of Dazzel Land, I'd love to see it again!!!!

And did any other department store in Australia have a similar mini theme park inside?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#88 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:11 pm

Myer Centre in Brisbane, but that closed down ages ago...

Mants
Legendary Member!

#89 Post by Mants » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:52 pm

i miss dazzel land too

i remember they had a really cool ball pit kinda thing. brings back memories :)

Done
Gold-Member ;)

#90 Post by Done » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:41 am

I found a picture on google...