Soundwave Festival dead due to ACC?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

Soundwave Festival dead due to ACC?

#1 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Normally I would leave this for the pub, but the ACC is at the centre of this. You can move it if you see fit.

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/loc ... ndwave.htm
Soundwave festival organiser A.J. Maddah has taken to Twitter to declare that “it looks highly likely that we can no longer proceed with Soundwave in Adelaide.”

In a series of tweets he explains that “Adelaide City Council have decided to apply the same rent charges to each of the load-in, set-up and tear down days as charged for show day and take a % of each ticket to Soundwave”

Maddah goes on to claim that with rent increasing “1100%, charges per ticket & the fact rest of country is already subsidising Adelaide, this is the end of SW”

This is a massive blow for Adelaide punters, especially after the success of the 2010 festival prompted FasterLouder’s Adelaide editor to declare Soundwave 2010 the best festival experience ever to be seen in Adelaide.

This is definitely a shame. I am not a Soundwave music fan, BUT the festival seems to be the leader in getting together amazing lineups for this genre of music.

Hopefully something can be worked out.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Soundwave Festival dead due ACC?

#2 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:12 pm

Maybe one of the councillors that frequents this forum can shed some light.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Nathan » Mon May 10, 2010 1:24 pm

I'm not sure about taking a percentage of each ticket sold, but charging the same rent on load-in/set-up/tear-down days seems perfectly reasonable to me - they're still using the space.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:29 pm

Adelaide struggles to pull big event/festival type music anyway, we probably shouldn't be discouraging.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Mants » Mon May 10, 2010 4:19 pm

why on earth would the council impede the progress/continuation of such a successful music festival?
and we wonder why so many bands and artists bypass our city.
i am so angry. i love adelaide and i want to see it prosper. we are known as the festival city, yet we are seeing one of the largest touring festivals leaving our state.
soundwave may just be the beginning...other music festivals such as WOMADelaide, stereosonic, parklife, future music, etc. may be next.
i urge everybody to join this facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 049&v=wall if not to save the festival itself, to save the future of live music and festivals in adelaide as well as well as the life they breathe into our city and surrounding parklands.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 pm

How much rent are we talking about here?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by peas_and_corn » Mon May 10, 2010 8:39 pm

vik_man
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Soundwave Festival dead due to ACC?

#8 Post by vik_man » Tue May 11, 2010 9:59 pm

truly disgraceful.

ACC just keep outdoing themselves.

I noticed Stephen Yarwood's response on the facebook page's discussion board.

I've seen his posts here as well and he seems to be one of the more honest and non-nimby councillors, hopefully he can help us.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Pikey » Wed May 12, 2010 3:34 am

Wayville showgrounds????
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

ghs

#10 Post by ghs » Wed May 12, 2010 10:43 am

Good call Pikey,

Surely there's plenty of other locations where Soundwave could be held.

Wayville showgrounds, Glenelg, Memorial drive, Thebarton oval, etc

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by crawf » Wed May 12, 2010 2:07 pm

That is pretty pathetic, these events bring life into the parklands. It shouldn't have to be moved to the inner burbs!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Wayno » Wed May 12, 2010 3:05 pm

We're jumping at shadows here not knowing the old -vs- new cost arrangements. Perhaps the Soundwave Festival organisers are expecting too much for too little? details please.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by peas_and_corn » Wed May 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Pikey wrote:Wayville showgrounds????
Its location has over the past three years become quite important in the festival's branding. It helps to distinguish it as a separate product to Big Day Out.

Omicron

#14 Post by Omicron » Wed May 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Wayno wrote:We're jumping at shadows here not knowing the old -vs- new cost arrangements. Perhaps the Soundwave Festival organisers are expecting too much for too little? details please.
Yes. More information required. Are the new rent arrangements being applied to other parkland events, for example?
Nathan wrote:I'm not sure about taking a percentage of each ticket sold, but charging the same rent on load-in/set-up/tear-down days seems perfectly reasonable to me - they're still using the space.
Indeed. When you rent a house, there aren't any discounts on the days you move the furniture in.

ghs

#15 Post by ghs » Thu May 13, 2010 12:17 pm

I've been reading the twitter pages on this and apparently the showgrounds is not an option since
the BDO have a contract there which prevents soundwave having a festival at wayville. This seems a
bit strange though because Supafest was held at the showgrounds in April and the
We Love Sounds festival in a couple of weeks is also at the showgrounds.

Apparently supafest didn't work that well, but anyway who really cares if we lose Soundwave. We still have
plenty of other music festivals e.g. BDO, Summadayze, Future music festival, Supafest, Womadelaide,
and We Love Sounds. There's also some big concerts coming up towards the end of this year - Metallica play
2 shows at the AEC, Powderfinger play 2 at Memorial Drive and there's a good chance U2 will be coming either
late this year or early next year.