News & Discussion: Adelaide Central Markets

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
fabricator
Legendary Member!

News & Discussion: Adelaide Central Markets

#1 Post by fabricator » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:32 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5963499943
LORD Mayor Stephen Yarwood wants to fix the Adelaide Central Market, even though he says it is one of the world's best.

Yesterday, he launched the Market Vision 2020 strategic review consultation process involving stakeholder sessions and a survey of business owners and market patrons.

Amid the buzz and activity of the markets yesterday morning, Mr Yarwood told The Advertiser that everybody in Adelaide loves the market and he wanted to ensure it stayed that way.

"We really want to know what the community and the traders think about the future of the Adelaide Central Market," he said.

"We want to make it a hustling bustling environment where people come to spend longer and have fun.

"We need a 10-year rolling management plan, to improve the infrastructure over time," he said.

"We are competing with big companies, so need to provide an innovative and competitive market."

Barossa Fine Foods owner Franz Knoll said parking is a big issue and trading hours should extend.

"Because of the popularity of the precinct we have less parking facilities for customers," he said.

"We will trade when people come to the market. If there are consumers out the front of our shops... then the shop keeper will trade."

The first public meeting was held yesterday where business owners were briefed on the survey and able to give feedback.

The online survey is at http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/coun ... eview.html <- replaced with direct link.
I have to say the online survey is suspect, it only asks questions about a limited range of areas. Plus the usual "what post code do you live in" they use to make more claims about people 'taking advantage' of their facilities, as per Adelaide Aquatic Centre.

For example no questions were asked about what types of stores/products people buy, very dubious not wanting to know that. No questions relating to poor lighting, the state of the floor, or over crowding.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Market Vision 2020

#2 Post by Will » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:37 am

Although I think it is great that the ACC is seeking ways to further improve the market, however I am also wary of such a process, as there is a possibility of un-cultured people whom do not actually use the market hijacking the process to ruin what actually makes the market special.

The market would actually lose more people than what it would gain if it became another boring, sterile clone of a suburban supermarket.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by crawf » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:06 pm

The markets itself are fine, though can't say the same for the rest of the complex - Coles/Market Arcade, horrid carpark and the dated Victoria Sq entrance.

The dated Market Arcade is a developers dream and could be transformed into something special, without touching the existing iconic Central Markets.

Heres some ideas for Market Arcade site...
- Markets could be expanded and include a non-food stalls, aswell as a new modern supermarket
- A multi-level carpark could be built on top of a new retail plaza, easing the demand for carparks at the Central Markets and could be used for the future Victoria Square Redevelopment
- Street frontage shops and cafes along Grote Street
- Cinema complex and high-rise residential development (15 levels max) *pie in the sky*
- The upper levels of the Central Markets, currently used as a carpark could be replaced with market stalls.

Ofcourse all these ideas cost money, but Market Arcade has got to go.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Wayno » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:51 pm

hey Will, Crawf, & All, consider officially sharing your thoughts with the ACC:
Planning for the future of the Iconic Adelaide Central Market

Calling all Market Lovers.

Help Adelaide City Council enhance the Adelaide Central Market.

Council is seeking feedback on the Adelaide Central Market. Complete the short online survey below to have your say.

cityofadelaide.wufoo.com/forms/central-market-lovers-survey/

The survey is an opportunity for Market Lovers to provide their thoughts and feedback on the Market. Community input is vital to the future of the Market and Council invites you to take this opportunity to voice your opinion.

Your feedback will assist us to build upon the icon that is the Adelaide Central Market, whilst providing an enhanced market experience for all.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by mattblack » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:26 pm

They are only looking at the Central Markets themselves which does not include the Arcade (where Coles is) or the Plaza (through to Chinatown). They are seen as a different entity. On that not there is speculation from some of the traders in the Arcade that there may be a major development taking place in 2017, all of the leases seem to be up in that year and the ACC are not renewing them at this stage.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#6 Post by ricecrackers » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Yarwood wants to fix Adelaide Central Market?
what precisely is wrong with it? why should this self proclaimed 'thought leader' be taken seriously?
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Wayno » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:29 pm

ricecrackers wrote:Yarwood wants to fix Adelaide Central Market?
what precisely is wrong with it? why should this self proclaimed 'thought leader' be taken seriously?
i too get nervous about such reviews, but in Yarwood's defence he is quoted as saying he knows the market is world class and simply wants it to stay that way. Any good business person knows you need to learn what you are doing well so you can continue to do so...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by mattblack » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:57 am

Wayno wrote:
ricecrackers wrote:Yarwood wants to fix Adelaide Central Market?
i too get nervous about such reviews, but in Yarwood's defence he is quoted as saying he knows the market is world class and simply wants it to stay that way. Any good business person knows you need to learn what you are doing well so you can continue to do so...
They will also be looking at long term strategies like carparking, possibility of modernising, variety of shops, access of goods for retailers, better lighting, etc ........

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Wayno » Sun May 20, 2012 9:10 am

Does the ACC own the 'entire' market, including Coles supermarket, etc? i'm sure that's the case, and with a new CEO maybe it's time to recommend the idea of selling air rights above the market (Will suggested this many moons ago). Demolish Coles (and maybe further into that crappy part of the mall), build a tall resi tower, improve the street frontage, and lease the ground floor back to Coles & others. Maybe even introduce a below ground level? Would this help alleviate the below trading problem? Might even earn the ACC some cash they could put towards VSQ.

[edit] i believe the lease on central market arcade runs out in 6 years time.

From AdelaideNow
Central Market traders urged to turn gourmet

THE Central Market must tap into TV-driven gourmet food trends and extend its trading hours to ensure its survival against the domination of major supermarkets, traders say.

Stallholders say they are facing their toughest trading conditions in the market's 141-year history coupled with rising rents and the competition from farmers' markets, supermarket discounting and loyalty cards.

At least three Central Market traders have been trying to sell their stalls but a lack of interest has left the once-coveted sites sitting on the market, in some cases for two years.

While Adelaide City Council figures show visits or numbers peaked at 8.754 million last year, stallholders say that foot traffic doesn't translate into actual sales, with the number of people spending money way down.

Traders want the market's new independent board - which doesn't take over management from the council until July 1 - to ensure a better mix of traders, extend trading hours past 5.30pm on weeknights to capture after-work shoppers and improve marketing.

The view among traders who spoke to the Sunday Mail this week was that the market must capitalise on food trends pushed by TV cooking shows that saw young "foodies" posting photos of their cooking online and blogging about their meals.

Providore owner Mark Gleeson said canny stallholders monitored popular cooking shows to ensure they stocked ingredients featured in recipes and dishes, in order to meet the inevitable customer demand in the following days.

He said he wanted the market's new management to work with TAFE SA and FoodSA to offer short-term leases or "pop-up stalls" to young entrepreneurs and ethnic groups "rather than letting just anybody including franchises or wholesalers or shops move in that don't add to the cultural mix".

"We need to make some changes (because) when you talk to traders and they say turnover is down 3 or 4 per cent per annum and if your rates are going up 3 or 4 per cent every year - you do the sums," he said.

Prettejohn's plant stall, set up by the Prettejohn family in 1938 before gardening centres and nurseries opened, has been for sale for almost two years.

Owner Sue Prettejohn said rent had jumped to $3900 a month, up from $2500 six years ago, while turnover stagnated.

O'Connell's Meats' Tony O'Connell said he had to keep up with the latest trends in meat cuts to meet demand and offer advice to keen home cooks; he travelled to Hong Kong this month for research.

Former Hyatt chef Franjo Novosel opened Zed's Cafe in the market eight years ago because he wanted to be part of the "community space and develop personal relationships with customers on a first-name basis". He said allowing liquor licences for some stalls to sell boutique wine and beer would also enhance the experience.

New market CEO Carl Partridge said he would consider all suggestions after research among traders and shoppers.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Market Arcade redevelopment

#10 Post by Ben » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:13 pm

Adelaide City Council Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood says apartments should be considered for Market Arcade

by: Tim Williams

APARTMENT towers rising up to 30 storeys next to the Central Market should be considered in redeveloping the Market Arcade, Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood says.

Mr Yarwood will tonight push for the City Council to start work immediately on a plan for the market precinct.

Victoria Square Shopping Centre Pty Ltd has a lease on the council-owned arcade, which includes the Coles supermarket on Grote St, until 2018.

"The day after the lease expires I would want to see work start on that site, and that means starting (planning) now," Mr Yarwood said.

"Obviously it's not my job to second guess what the master plan might be but there's potential for two 20 to 30-storey buildings on that site."

Apartments and an expansion of the Hilton or another hotel were options, he said.

"It's a fantastic opportunity for a really sophisticated mixed-use development.

"There would be a lot of people interested in living above the Central Market (Arcade)."

He said the arcade, which connects the Central Market to Victoria Square and has 70 specialty shops, could be rebuilt "from scratch" but any redevelopment should maintain ground floor retail use and a supermarket.

"I would be absolutely shocked if the retail component wasn't maintained and enhanced.

"We would want to see any development bring more people into the precinct."

Building on top of the Central Market itself was not possible because it was heritage protected and would require significant rebuilding to support structures above, he said.

Mr Yarwood said the council would need to consider whether it would develop the site itself or how it might work with private partners.

He will push for the planning proposal at a council committee tonight (Tuesday, August 6).

A written staff response said trader groups and residents would need to be consulted about creating a master plan.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-news/so ... z2b9Y5Pym8

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: VIS: Market Arcade redevelopment

#11 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Yarwood has been such a proactive and can-do Lord Mayor. He is such a visionary, good on him. I'm glad this is back on the agenda - it's inevitable. It's not a matter of if, but when.

Hadn't considered an expansion of the Hilton before - I think that would be a really good idea. Hilton could probably justify it come 2020, as more demand for hotel rooms would be required, as I anticipate Adelaides' events calendar will start to stretch more broadly, and intensively across the year, rather than in the first quarter period - January to March, from the TDU, Fringe to Mad March.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by dsriggs » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:16 pm

YES PLEASE

The current mall is an eyesore straight from 1978 & I'll be so pleased to see it levelled.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#13 Post by claybro » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:35 pm

dsriggs wrote:YES PLEASE

The current mall is an eyesore straight from 1978 & I'll be so pleased to see it levelled.
I actually like some of the old mall. I think parts of it date back to the 50's or 60's by the look, and they are quirky, and typical of that time. I prefer this section to the horrible 80's sections near the food court areas on the other side of the market. I guess if the airspace above this arcade is to be developed, the mall at the eastern end will have to go, but lets hope it is not just turned into another generic shopping mall.

crowdoc
Gold-Member ;)

#14 Post by crowdoc » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:32 pm

The Coles supermarket, Grote street facade is a disgrace. It degrades what us otherwise an attractive and congruent streetscape. It has to go in any upgrade of this precinct.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Matt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:06 pm

crowdoc wrote:The Coles supermarket, Grote street facade is a disgrace. It degrades what us otherwise an attractive and congruent streetscape. It has to go in any upgrade of this precinct.
Yes, yes and yes.

Absolutely hideous and such a waste. It does the entire market/Chinatown precinct having that plonked there with a wall of frosted windows facing the footpath.

Relocating Coles should be one of the first things to be addressed.