News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: ## General Public Transport thread

#436 Post by Nathan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:25 am

Hooligan wrote:Wait a minute, we get a new ticket system and all you do is complain about the graphic on the card.

We really have it far to good here if thats the biggest fucking issue around town.
No, it's not the biggest issue — but it holds particular interest for me because it's what I do. Is it important as the quality of the service? No, of course not. But it doesn't mean adequate branding of the public transportation system isn't important. Good branding in this case would have two purposes — there's the purely functional aspect, about making the services visible, and all aspects of information clear and accessible, and then there's the perception of a professional and well-run service. At the moment, the branding is amateurish, and like it or not that adds a lot to the perception that the service is amateurish (in addition to the inability to stick to timetables).

Aidan

Re: Any chance for trams to extend into suburbs?

#437 Post by Aidan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:35 pm

wll6568 wrote:Does anyone know if there's any chance for trams to go into suburbs?
In what timeframe?

We'll almost certainly get some tram lines extended into the suburbs eventually, but it's not a high priority.
Would be nice to have tram lines connecting major shopping hubs such as the Parade, Burnside Village, Marden, Unley.... The city needs to have better transport system to bring people into the city, or it will always be quiet and dead...
We certainly need a better transport system, but the biggest deficiencies are in our train system, and we're not even running enough buses.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

metro
Legendary Member!

#438 Post by metro » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:26 pm

are we getting new ticket gates at Adelaide railway station? i saw a sign that said something about it when i walked past the info centre construction site.

they should get rid of those old 1980s turnstiles and get like the ones they use in Sydney.

The Scooter Guy

#439 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:54 pm

A red fronted CB80 Bendibus got O-Bahn tested last week & good news, the rear tyres didn't receive any scuffing! (In theory, very little scuffing!)
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#440 Post by crawf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:43 pm

metro wrote:are we getting new ticket gates at Adelaide railway station? i saw a sign that said something about it when i walked past the info centre construction site.

they should get rid of those old 1980s turnstiles and get like the ones they use in Sydney.
They are so pointless and hideous, especially when you have to validate your ticket again once you board the train.

Another reason why ticket machines should be at train stations not on trains. Other cities do it, why can't Adelaide?

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#441 Post by BillD » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Here are a couple of shots of H-Type 351 returning from storage (with graffiti damage) 2nd Aug 2011.

Bill.

[Shuz]

#442 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:43 pm

BillD - when you say returning from storage, do you mean that they will be operational again?

I was led to believe that they were off the rails for good.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#443 Post by BillD » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:30 pm

[Shuz] wrote:BillD - when you say returning from storage, do you mean that they will be operational again?
I was led to believe that they were off the rails for good.
I don't know Shuz.
As far as I knew they were on the way out.
But why would they have paid to bring them back if there was no (perhaps long range) plan?

Bill.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#444 Post by crawf » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:14 pm

Photo I found on twitter....

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

Gawler line closed between Gawler Central Station and Mawson

#445 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:33 pm

Gawler line closed between Gawler Central Station and Mawson Interchange
from Sunday 18 September 2011 (for approximately 7 months)

Train substitute bus services GA1, GA2, GA3 and GA4 will operate between Gawler Central and Mawson Interchange arriving later than the usual train service. You may need to catch an earlier service. Train services will run between Mawson Interchange and Adelaide Railway Station

Trains will run between Mawson Interchange and Adelaide Railway Station to a modified timetable. During the second half of the closure, train services will resume between Salisbury Interchange and Adelaide while works continue along the remainder of the line.

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/gawler-september-2011

metro
Legendary Member!

Re: Gawler line closed between Gawler Central Station and Ma

#446 Post by metro » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:14 am

in short, the pdf of the bus timetable says the 7 months of work includes:

1. rebuilding of the track from mawson interchange to gawler central, with salisbury interchange to reopen about half way through.

2. building of new stations at Munno Para and Elizabeth, with upgrades to Gawler, Smithfield and Elizabeth South.

3. and electrification works will begin, masts will get put up along parts of the line.

also the Gawler line brochure: http://210.247.132.180/alt-host/assets/ ... ochure.pdf

fabricator
Legendary Member!

Re: Gawler line closed between Gawler Central Station and Ma

#447 Post by fabricator » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:44 am

Staff handing out a huge wad of paper at Adelaide Station today for passengers going to Gawler. Its the above linked information leaflet and a 36 page A3 timetable for the replacement buses. Going to convert my 38 minute commute to 1 hour 2 minutes. :?

Stupid buses, can't fall asleep on them, can't set them on fire and push them off a cliff. :twisted:
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: New Connections

#448 Post by mattblack » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:38 pm

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#449 Post by jk1237 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:26 pm

ok Ive detected a new nanny procedure for trams in the city not to open any doors if they notice an approaching tram meeting together at city stops. Come on we're not children. Coming back from work today and yesterday, an Ent Cent bound tram waited for well over a minute at Pirie St stop before allowing anyone to get off or on, as the driver announced we had to wait until the Glenelg bound tram got to the stop also. Dear me :roll:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#450 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:54 am

Some people in the city really need to learn some 'common sense' when walking.

Maybe they should look at introducing clear fences along key stops? - such as Railway Station, Rundle Mall and Pirie Street.