[PRO] Topham Apartments | 60m | 16lvls | Mixed

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] Topham Apartments | 60m | 16lvls | Mixed

#1 Post by Ben » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:53 am

In feasibility stage at the moment. includes apartments above topham mall and a refurb of the mall and retial tenancies.

From JPE website.

metro
Legendary Member!

[PRO] Re: PRO | TOPHAM APARTMENTS |

#2 Post by metro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:12 am

I think they should demolish that huge parking station :?

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:53 am

Topham Mall Carpark is the prime spot for a new tallest building... :/ And they want to build shitty prefab boxes? Bleh.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:35 pm

Anything that gives Topham Mall a badly needed revamp gets my tick of approval. Especially the arcade, it's a mess.

It's also a perfect opportunity for the council to make some cash by erecting a billboard along both sides of the carpark. I'm sure marketing agencies would jump at the chance, considering how busy it gets during weekdays (pedestrians).

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO] Re: PRO | Topham Mall refurb & Apartments

#5 Post by SRW » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:01 am

I actually think they need to level the site and start from scratch. It's that bad.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:22 am

crawf wrote:It's also a perfect opportunity for the council to make some cash by erecting a billboard along both sides of the carpark. I'm sure marketing agencies would jump at the chance, considering how busy it gets during weekdays (pedestrians).
crawf, send this idea to the ACC. probably a way to do so on their website. it's a cracker - more income for not much work at all... Also perhaps set aside some space so the public can submit artwork for any unused billboards.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Omicron

#7 Post by Omicron » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:57 pm

SRW wrote:I actually think they need to level the site and start from scratch. It's that bad.
It's ghastly, you're right. Terrible use of the space, and I really don't know if this looks demonstrably better.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by crawf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:49 am

Wayno wrote:crawf, send this idea to the ACC. probably a way to do so on their website. it's a cracker - more income for not much work at all... Also perhaps set aside some space so the public can submit artwork for any unused billboards.
Thanks, and maybe I should. There is also a few other locations that could do with simply a billboard, such as the northern frontage of the William Grenfell Centre (?) on the corner of King William and Grenfell Streets.
SRW wrote:I actually think they need to level the site and start from scratch. It's that bad.
Or This

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by Norman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:14 am

The car park is fine really, no complaints from me. The extra residential component would go great to liven up the area after hours.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Ben » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Possibly waiting until Height limit increases have been announced before lodging apartment side of the project.
Type: Development Application Received
Application Number: DA/104/2012
Lodgement Date: 16/02/2012
Description: Upgrade of Topham Mall.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:00 pm

From indaily:

Wednesday, 11 April 2012
Pre-fab boom delayed by outdated code
More Sharing ServicesShare on printShare on facebookShare on twitterShare on facebook_likeLiam Mannix

PLANS to construct thousands of pre-fabricated rooftop residential units in the city are on hold while waiting for the national building code to catch up.

Several projects are in the planning stage but none has been constructed because the Australian Building Code does not allow such structures, meaning developers would have to go through expensive certification for each new development.

Pre-fab houses and apartment blocks – built from wood in factories using computer-assisted design technology – are earmarked for the top of existing buildings in the city, such as car parks.

Up to 1000 units a year is a realistic figure, according to Professor Steffen Lehmann, director of the Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour at the University of South Australia.

Prof Lehmann is finalizing a pre-fab housing report commissioned by the State Government.

“We estimated in our research a market penetration in Adelaide of around 1000 units a year can be built in the next 10 years. The demand will be created and grow,” he told Indaily.

“Every day, a developer rings me or a construction company rings me.”

Property Council of Australia SA chief executive officer Nathan Paine said pre-fab was in vogue in Adelaide.

“I think it’s going to be the next big evolution in construction,” he said.

“It’s happening around the world. It’s something we’re going to see more of in Adelaide.”

However, Katnich Dodd building surveyor Ian Dodd said any pre-fab boom was being held up by the outdated building code.

“The way the building codes are currently framed, it’s a major departure from what the codes would normally allow,” he said.

“And the correct way for all this to get embraced by the various statutes is to prove up what they’ve already been doing overseas and get it put through our Australian building codes people and accredited.”

“They seem to be reluctant to spend the money on getting that done up-front.”

JPE Design Studio is currently working on gaining approval for a project to construct six levels of apartments above one of the car parks at Topham Mall in the city.

Architect Tom Vinall said he planned to seek project-specific approval for the development.

“An overall approval could cost millions, it could cost a lot of money,” he said.

“And then you’re opening it up for everyone else in the market to do the same thing. Who’s going to spend that much time and effort to create an open market for everyone to use it?”

Ian Dodd said that having to gain individual approval was like reinventing the wheel every time.

“What really should happen is maybe they should get some government funding to get it codemarked, that would be the best outcome.

“If they want to stimulate a South Australian industry, they should get some assistance.

“It’s hard to stick your hand in your pocket when you don’t know whether it’s going to fly, and you don’t know how successful it’s going to be, if people want to live in timber houses.”

Steffen Lehmann said a pre-fab boom in Adelaide would be following global trends.

“The Japanese are doing 50,000 units a year, and each looks different.

“There are companies where you can assemble them online. You get a password, you log in, and then have a catalogue. You can select the colour of the panelling, the windows, and then it’s all put together by computer.

“It is the most exciting change in construction since the invention of steel. This is really big and it’s going to change the way we’re going to design and build.”

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Ben » Tue May 15, 2012 3:14 pm

Another render:

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by cruel_world00 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:54 pm

This could look really fug if not done properly.

Nort

#14 Post by Nort » Tue May 15, 2012 5:57 pm

Yeah, in reality this could be quite awful.

Then again it's not like the existing Topham Mall is a looker, so not much needed to improve it. There is a massive amount of potential down in the ground around that space.

metro
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by metro » Tue May 15, 2012 8:38 pm

yeh also concerned this could look bad, and I agree the ground level does have potential, first they need to move the smokers along, one of the reasons I avoid this area at present. Also in front of the Eds building and RAH on North Tce, so many bloody smokers puffing away, killing me with second hand smoke as I wander past :?