COM: [Glenelg] Bay Junction Shopping Centre | $60m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

Re: Proposed - Bay Junction re-development - Glenelg -$60million

#16 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:58 am

If this goes ahead then it will be the start of something good for glenelg.

Id like to see glenelg turn into another bondi beach, flooded with people with heaps to do.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by rhino » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:13 pm

I'd rather see it turn into another Manly Beach than a Bondi Beach - Bondi just looks ugly IMO, and I'm not real keen on swimming with those blind mullet floating around either :)
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:59 am

I would rather see Glenelg turn into none of them

Glenelg has already got itself its own scene, good one at that too. However parts of Glenelg are still pretty dodgy and need urgent attention - such as the upper end of Jetty Road. This development is much needed

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by omada » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:16 pm

Glenelg is lame and it will always be lame, ever tried heading out to the bay for a night out? My god, very tragic.. it's like a shopping strip for retirees.. the only decent thing about Glenelg was the old Aladdin's Castle and the waterslides at Magic Mountain..
Dusseldorfer said: i think the whole of Jetty Road needs a make over, they should also think of closing it off to cars make it more like a mall, it would look a lot better without the stream of cars stuck there every saturday...
I agree with that idea.. that might make some difference

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by rhino » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 pm

Glenelg as it is has lost it's "historic village" charm (go to Brighton or Henley - they've got more) and has not quite made it as a "city by the sea" - although it's obvious that it's trying. Something is missing, like the big sunny blue sky - since the tall buildings went up, you hardly feel like you are anywhere near the beach as you walk along Jetty Road. Something is needed to bring back that carefree holiday beachside atmosphere.
cheers,
Rhino

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by Norman » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:30 pm

They need to bring more high-rises in... but not along the beach, but in the actual suburb. Rip down the old houses, and for God's skae, re-do the Coles carpark, it is a disgrace last time I saw it.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by bmw boy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:57 pm

normangerman wrote:They need to bring more high-rises in... but not along the beach, but in the actual suburb. Rip down the old houses, and for God's skae, re-do the Coles carpark, it is a disgrace last time I saw it.
I rekon more along jetty rd itself rather than moving into the more residential areas of the suburb. I think mid rise appartments in the streets which are next to the more buzzing areas tho is good.

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by how_good_is_he » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:08 pm

Jetty Rd needs softening with plenty more greenery and landscaping and outside dining...think Hastings St, Noosa. Movie, food and wine festivals in summer would be good. A world class triathalon event would boost its image interstate/worldwide.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by Bulldozer » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:14 pm

omada wrote:Glenelg is lame and it will always be lame, ever tried heading out to the bay for a night out? My god, very tragic.. it's like a shopping strip for retirees.. the only decent thing about Glenelg was the old Aladdin's Castle and the waterslides at Magic Mountain..
I don't know what sort of action you're looking for when you go out, but there's the Grand and Pier at least. Plenty of fun to keep me occupied ;)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Will » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:22 am

omada wrote:Glenelg is lame and it will always be lame, ever tried heading out to the bay for a night out? My god, very tragic.. it's like a shopping strip for retirees.. the only decent thing about Glenelg was the old Aladdin's Castle and the waterslides at Magic Mountain..
Dusseldorfer said: i think the whole of Jetty Road needs a make over, they should also think of closing it off to cars make it more like a mall, it would look a lot better without the stream of cars stuck there every saturday...
I agree with that idea.. that might make some difference
When was the last time you went out at night at Glenelg?

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by ynotsfables » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:03 pm

I'm sorry man i don't know where your'e coming from Glenelg is magnificent. How can it be lame. Why will it always be lame? Was it less or more lame ten years ago, will it be lame with future development wich no doubt will occur. It's one of Adelaides most saught after suburbs. It leaves Saint Kilda in Melbourne for dead in my opinion, It's more prestigious than both the Sunshine and Gold Coasts in Queensland. It's got so much potential. Sure i can undrstand if that lifestyle is not your cup of tea, but it's far from lame. :o

Dave_The_Planner
Gold-Member ;)

#27 Post by Dave_The_Planner » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:34 pm

ynotsfables wrote:

I'm sorry man i don't know where your'e coming from Glenelg is magnificent. How can it be lame. Why will it always be lame? Was it less or more lame ten years ago, will it be lame with future development wich no doubt will occur. It's one of Adelaides most saught after suburbs. It leaves Saint Kilda in Melbourne for dead in my opinion, It's more prestigious than both the Sunshine and Gold Coasts in Queensland. It's got so much potential. Sure i can undrstand if that lifestyle is not your cup of tea, but it's far from lame. :o
You've got to be joking about Aladdin's! The only thing good about that place was the cheap arcade games back in the mid eighties! Glad to see the end of that place!

We are kind of getting off the topic at hand, but I thought I'd add my two bobs worth. I'm not so sure about being more prestigious than Sunshine/Gold Coast! Glenelg doesn't even come close to having what the Gold Coast has to offer. What Glenelg does have however is a vibrant selection of restaurants, bars and entertainment without being over-the-top. It is a great location, being only minutes away from the airport (unlike Gold Coast) and a short drive or tram trip to the City. Glenelg suffers from the same problem as every other commercial centre - lack of car-parking - something that I hope is properly addressed as a part of this development.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Pikey » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:08 pm

It's in today's financial section of the Advertiser. Just a 3 level glass job with massive floorplates, nothing special at all.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:30 pm

It looks pretty nice though

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by ynotsfables » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:45 pm

We are kind of getting off the topic at hand, but I thought I'd add my two bobs worth. I'm not so sure about being more prestigious than Sunshine/Gold Coast! Glenelg doesn't even come close to having what the Gold Coast has to offer. What Glenelg does have however is a vibrant selection of restaurants, bars and entertainment without being over-the-top. It is a great location, being only minutes away from the airport (unlike Gold Coast) and a short drive or tram trip to the City. Glenelg suffers from the same problem as every other commercial centre - lack of car-parking - something that I hope is properly addressed as a part of this development.[/quote

The Gold coast has a lot to offer no doubt, but Adelaide and Glenelg for this matter is refined and manicured so to speak not so comercial and touristy, that's more what i meant about prestigious, or elegant shall i say.