[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#3226 Post by Pants » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:07 pm

It's still a cricket ground too, you see. Plenty of time to take in the view over a 5 day test match.

Henwii
Gold-Member ;)

#3227 Post by Henwii » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:57 pm

No way in hell could or should they get rid of the hill. It's what makes the Adelaide Oval. You have to retain it's main feature.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3228 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:22 pm

Bet you, this time next year they'll be very openly talking about building the Northern Grandstand to 'plug' the gap in the stadium. You just wait until the footy season is over and everyone whinging ad nauseum to the Advertiser about the lack of protection from the winter weather elements; wind and rain and the need to close off that end, so that it's not as bad.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#3229 Post by buildit83 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:50 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Bet you, this time next year they'll be very openly talking about building the Northern Grandstand to 'plug' the gap in the stadium. You just wait until the footy season is over and everyone whinging ad nauseum to the Advertiser about the lack of protection from the winter weather elements; wind and rain and the need to close off that end, so that it's not as bad.
The capacity in March will be 53,500 (3,500 of that on the hill). if they put a stand the same as the Southern Stand on the hill it would hold 14,000. I don't think Adelaide really needs a 64,000 seat stadium anytime soon.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3230 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:56 pm

buildit83 wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:Bet you, this time next year they'll be very openly talking about building the Northern Grandstand to 'plug' the gap in the stadium. You just wait until the footy season is over and everyone whinging ad nauseum to the Advertiser about the lack of protection from the winter weather elements; wind and rain and the need to close off that end, so that it's not as bad.
The capacity in March will be 53,500 (3,500 of that on the hill). if they put a stand the same as the Southern Stand on the hill it would hold 14,000. I don't think Adelaide really needs a 64,000 seat stadium anytime soon.

Exactly.

Give it ten years. It's one thing to "block the view of the hills", it's another thing entirely to try and get rid of the scoreboard and the Moreton Bay figs. You get rid of those...you may as well have razed the entire stadium and started again. The members might have been swayed for the upgrade one time, but I doubt they'd go for that.

Football is a WINTER sport. The spectators know this. Etihad is the only stadium in the country that has a roof. No one else does and they do just fine. Adelaide Oval is going to be a roaring success regardless of crowd numbers because if the exact amount of people who were going to West Lakes come to the city we're already ahead.

[Shuz]

#3231 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:44 pm

In no way did I suggest that Adelaide Oval needed a roof like Etihad. I'm saying that the Northern end, where the Hill & scoreboard is eventually needs to go, and a new grandstand built in its place, to increase capacity once more, and also to offer the rest of the oval and stands protection from the weather elements.

Honestly, just imagine it for yourself, right now, sitting in either the new Eastern or Southern stands, and picture those horrid northerly winds barreling straight down into the oval, pummeling your faces with shards of icy cold terror. It will be a nightmare. The very fact that the Western grandstand is now the shortest of the new stands, means that the westerly winds will fly right over the top, back down into the oval and smash into the faces of those sitting in the Eastern stand head-on with force. It won't be pretty at all.

As for the scoreboard... it can be retained - just relocate it to Adelaide Oval Number 2? As for the Moreton bay figs. Trees get cut down all the time, new ones get planted all the time. All in the name of progress.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#3232 Post by Nathan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:03 pm

Increase capacity once more? What the hell for?

And since when do we get icy cold winds from the north? Colder winds here generally come in from the gulf. The horrid northerly winds are the summer ones, and people have been able to deal with that at Adelaide Oval for a long time. This idea that we need protection from the weather elements needs to go. Adelaide has generally mild weather for most of the year, except for the odd heat wave during summer.

Waewick

#3233 Post by Waewick » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:17 am

[Shuz] wrote:In no way did I suggest that Adelaide Oval needed a roof like Etihad. I'm saying that the Northern end, where the Hill & scoreboard is eventually needs to go, and a new grandstand built in its place, to increase capacity once more, and also to offer the rest of the oval and stands protection from the weather elements.

Honestly, just imagine it for yourself, right now, sitting in either the new Eastern or Southern stands, and picture those horrid northerly winds barreling straight down into the oval, pummeling your faces with shards of icy cold terror. It will be a nightmare. The very fact that the Western grandstand is now the shortest of the new stands, means that the westerly winds will fly right over the top, back down into the oval and smash into the faces of those sitting in the Eastern stand head-on with force. It won't be pretty at all.

As for the scoreboard... it can be retained - just relocate it to Adelaide Oval Number 2? As for the Moreton bay figs. Trees get cut down all the time, new ones get planted all the time. All in the name of progress.
are you serious, or is this an attempt at dark humour?

"smash the faces" and "pummelling your faces" - serious, was this written by a 60 year drama teacher?

I can't see we would spend another 50-60M just to stop the possibility of 1 to 2 days of bad weather.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#3234 Post by mattblack » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:22 am

[Shuz] wrote:In no way did I suggest that Adelaide Oval needed a roof like Etihad. I'm saying that the Northern end, where the Hill & scoreboard is eventually needs to go, and a new grandstand built in its place, to increase capacity once more, and also to offer the rest of the oval and stands protection from the weather elements.

I think I remember somewhere that you are doing a Planning degree, yet you have appear to have no concept, care or acknowledgement of the imprortance of historical elements within a urban form or such things as significant trees. God help us if your are actually being serious.

[Shuz]

#3235 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:44 am

Funny you should mention that, because I am doing a planning heritage course at the moment and if there is one thing which we have learnt is not only respect, but also about the need for compromise. You can't please everyone. I am merely proposing a solution which would offer a lot more respect for the history and tradition of the Adelaide Oval precinct, than the absolute destruction en masse, of the heritage elements like they did at the MCG, whilst still accomodating for the needs and use of the Oval in future.

I already said that the scoreboard could (and should be) be relocated. The Moreton Bay figs were planted there just over 100 years ago. They are not 'real' native trees to the area - it's not like they were there prior to European settlement. Not many people know this, but the Adelaide Parklands were literally, tree after tree, bush after bush, razed barren just shortly after Light's Plan was set in stone. Every single one, cut down. None of the trees which you see today in the Parklands are the original trees that stood there prior to 1836. They were all planted. Why is it so inconcievable that we can't, in keeping with the 'tradition' and history of the Adelaide Oval just plant new Moreton Bay fig trees to the back of the new grandstand? Sure they won't be as big and mature as the existing ones, but they could grow to be.

Waz
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3236 Post by Waz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:23 pm

[Shuz] wrote:picture those horrid northerly winds barreling straight down into the oval, pummeling your faces with shards of icy cold terror. It will be a nightmare.
I'd love to know what "icy cold terror" any northerly could bring? You do know your Australian geography and basic meteorology, right?

Same old Shuzstar.
You hear it here first...

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3237 Post by Pants » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:18 pm

WAZ!

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#3238 Post by mattblack » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:24 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Funny you should mention that, because I am doing a planning heritage course at the moment and if there is one thing which we have learnt is not only respect, but also about the need for compromise. You can't please everyone. I am merely proposing a solution which would offer a lot more respect for the history and tradition of the Adelaide Oval precinct, than the absolute destruction en masse, of the heritage elements like they did at the MCG, whilst still accomodating for the needs and use of the Oval in future.

I already said that the scoreboard could (and should be) be relocated. The Moreton Bay figs were planted there just over 100 years ago. They are not 'real' native trees to the area - it's not like they were there prior to European settlement. Not many people know this, but the Adelaide Parklands were literally, tree after tree, bush after bush, razed barren just shortly after Light's Plan was set in stone. Every single one, cut down. None of the trees which you see today in the Parklands are the original trees that stood there prior to 1836. They were all planted. Why is it so inconcievable that we can't, in keeping with the 'tradition' and history of the Adelaide Oval just plant new Moreton Bay fig trees to the back of the new grandstand? Sure they won't be as big and mature as the existing ones, but they could grow to be.
Okay these are the points I get from your argument. Moving the scoreboard and then raising eveything else (hill and figs) is not destruction en masse? Replanting a 100 year old tree with a 1 or 2 year old sappling will have the same heritage value one day, no tree in the Park Lands should be protected because it was not there originally and many are not native.

I'm sure that most people would realise that the Park Lands in it's current form is not the same as when Light was around. The point is where do you draw the line. If you keep on destroying the imbedded history or historical elements of any place with the arguments that you have laid out there would not be any history to speak of. This how the conversation would go .... Yeh well the Adelaide Oval used to have this awsome hill, a manual scoreboard that was 100+ years old and these beautiful old fig trees down on the northern end of the ground. They tore all that out when they built the northern stand. The scoreboard is now never used and is falling appart but they did plant some more fig trees at the back of the new stand, they were removed a few years ago because they were in the way. They planted another one though in commemeration of what used to be here, it's near the old scoreboard. Come back in 99 years and see how nice it used to be, that is if they dont chop it down before that.

hitthepost
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3239 Post by hitthepost » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:56 pm

mattblack wrote: The scoreboard is now never used and is falling apart
Um

What?

In what recent sporting event at AO was the scoreboard NOT used???

It's now re-enforced so no it's not falling apart.

Right now it is never used.
Oh yeah.
Cos there's no sport on at the moment given it's a giant building site!