[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Maximus
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#3256 Post by Maximus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:57 am

believesinadsy wrote:read this morning on Sunrise in the little captions at the bottom of the screen that Adelaide Oval wont be ready for the ashes...
I saw this too, although I believe it said there were "concerns" that it wouldn't be ready for the Ashes. Didn't appear to be any further expansion on this during the program, from what I watched, and I haven't seen anything in the media, so not sure where it came from. As we've noted, SACA has already stated that the southern stand will be ready and part of the eastern stand.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#3257 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Sheffield Shield Match Relocated

SACA has today advised Cricket Australia and cricket fans that the opening match of the Bupa Sheffield Shield season will not be held at Adelaide Oval.

SACA chief executive Keith Bradshaw said the oval is not expected to be first-class ready, due to ongoing building works in the line of sight at the southern and north-eastern stands during October.

“The integrity of the game is SACA’s number one priority, and that’s why we have made this decision, and I have informed Cricket Australia that we are unable to host these matches at Adelaide Oval during October. You can’t play first-class cricket with players dealing with noise, movement and other building site distractions within their line of sight,” he said.

more

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#3258 Post by mattblack » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Cladding starting to go on the Southern Stand roof.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3259 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:47 am

Play Sheffield Sheild at AAMI?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#3260 Post by Vee » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:08 am

[Shuz] wrote:Play Sheffield Sheild at AAMI?
Nah!!!
Les Burdett (the King) to ensure pitch of high standard at Gliderol (Glenelg) stadium. Say no more!

TooFar
Gold-Member ;)

#3261 Post by TooFar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:13 am

Maximus wrote:
believesinadsy wrote:read this morning on Sunrise in the little captions at the bottom of the screen that Adelaide Oval wont be ready for the ashes...
I saw this too, although I believe it said there were "concerns" that it wouldn't be ready for the Ashes. Didn't appear to be any further expansion on this during the program, from what I watched, and I haven't seen anything in the media, so not sure where it came from. As we've noted, SACA has already stated that the southern stand will be ready and part of the eastern stand.
My information tells me that the southern stand will not be "complete" by the Ashes but will be usable. The Contractors will make sure the stand is safe and in working condition, but there will be areas that remain unfinished. Once the Ashes is over, the stand will be closed to the public so the remainder of the works can be completed.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3262 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:38 am

That sounds about right. I assume they'll just have the basics in operational order, like the seats, toilets and bars. But I wouldn't be expecting the dining room or any of the fancier stuff to be ready.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3263 Post by Pants » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Henwii
Gold-Member ;)

#3264 Post by Henwii » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Gee the media love painting things in a negative light. The Eastern Stand was never meant to be used at all for the Ashes. The fact they'll be able to seat 5,000 people in that stand is a huge bonus surely.

Also, who cares if one or two Sheffield Shield matches are moved. The Oval was always scheduled to be ready for December, not October. SS matches get 500 people at the absolute maximum, so having it at the Bay is no issue at all.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3265 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:33 pm

That article would have been more suited for A Current Affair, not 9 News, with some of the stupid questions Tom Richardson was asking.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#3266 Post by Vee » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:55 pm

Henwii wrote:Gee the media love painting things in a negative light. The Eastern Stand was never meant to be used at all for the Ashes. The fact they'll be able to seat 5,000 people in that stand is a huge bonus surely.

Also, who cares if one or two Sheffield Shield matches are moved. The Oval was always scheduled to be ready for December, not October. SS matches get 500 people at the absolute maximum, so having it at the Bay is no issue at all.
Typical media whinge. Agree.
Potential 5,000 extra seats for the Ashes in the not yet complete Eastern Stand is a windfall for SACA and a bonus for any cricket fan who missed out on a ticket for the Ashes. Fans will be under no illusion that the Stand and facilities are fully completed, and extra catering is bound to be provided as required. Food trucks / outdoor areas in the mix??

Re-scheduling the venue for a few SS matches is not earth shattering. Journalists seem to thrive on reporting negativity rather than positive, feel good stories. Adelaide Oval is going to be a jewel in the crown, seen and admired around the world!!

BTW, anyone else hear a rumour of a big concert at AO in March? Have I missed it? An Opening ceremony?
Fact or fiction?

robboaustralia
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3267 Post by robboaustralia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Vee wrote:
Henwii wrote:Gee the media love painting things in a negative light. The Eastern Stand was never meant to be used at all for the Ashes. The fact they'll be able to seat 5,000 people in that stand is a huge bonus surely.

Typical media whinge. Agree.
Potential 5,000 extra seats for the Ashes in the not yet complete Eastern Stand is a windfall for SACA and a bonus for any cricket fan who missed out on a ticket for the Ashes. Fans will be under no illusion that the Stand and facilities are fully completed, and extra catering is bound to be provided as required. Food trucks / outdoor areas in the mix??

Re-scheduling the venue for a few SS matches is not earth shattering. Journalists seem to thrive on reporting negativity rather than positive, feel good stories. Adelaide Oval is going to be a jewel in the crown, seen and admired around the world!!

BTW, anyone else hear a rumour of a big concert at AO in March? Have I missed it? An Opening ceremony?
Fact or fiction?
I emailed SMA and ACC saying I want something big. The response I got suggested they have something planned but they did not spill any beans. I am not holding my breath.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#3269 Post by Vee » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Adelaide Oval is going to be great for cricket. I can see why some early games this season have to be transferred to another venue until the stadium is completed.

BUT... Why have ALL the one day RyobiCup matches this season been transferred to Sydney? Why should every state's matches be played in ONE state, NSW, during one month in October? Will they be returned to be played in home states in following years?
Adelaide Oval must play host to all forms of the game.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3270 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Vee wrote:Adelaide Oval is going to be great for cricket. I can see why some early games this season have to be transferred to another venue until the stadium is completed.

BUT... Why have ALL the one day RyobiCup matches this season been transferred to Sydney? Why should every state's matches be played in ONE state, NSW, during one month in October? Will they be returned to be played in home states in following years?
Adelaide Oval must play host to all forms of the game.
That's a CA decision to allow for a longer BBL season pretty much - cram the one dayers into one city over the shortest period of time. Nothing to do with ground developments.

IMO it's a stupid decision, but that's for another thread.