COM: SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre | $100m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
iTouch
Legendary Member!

Re: #U/C: $100m State Swimming Centre

#331 Post by iTouch » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:50 pm

I dont know about you guys but i'd quite like to sit on a cold concrete slab sunbathing. You guys shouldn't be so judgemental about it, it's a good thing for those with a heart of stone.
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#332 Post by crawf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:31 pm

pushbutton wrote:I agree. It is very steep. I don't think I'd feel comfortable on it.

Why do they need such a lot of seats anyway? If they hadn't built that huge sloping area they could have had a fantastic wave pool or even a lazy river (or both) in that amount of space.

All that's needed for those who are not swimming is a nice poolside cafe with a few tables and chairs, and some "sun-loungers" so people can lie back and relax by the pool. It is ridiculous to have hundreds of seats on a big concrete slope! What on earth were they thinking?
What do you expect?, It will be the main aquatic centre in the state

It's not some community swimming pool.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#333 Post by SRW » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:44 pm

pushbutton wrote:I agree. It is very steep. I don't think I'd feel comfortable on it.

Why do they need such a lot of seats anyway? If they hadn't built that huge sloping area they could have had a fantastic wave pool or even a lazy river (or both) in that amount of space.

All that's needed for those who are not swimming is a nice poolside cafe with a few tables and chairs, and some "sun-loungers" so people can lie back and relax by the pool. It is ridiculous to have hundreds of seats on a big concrete slope! What on earth were they thinking?
Be realistic. It's to be a competition venue, so there are grandstands for competitors/spectators as normal. I also think you'll find that back of house facilities and change rooms are squeezed underneath -- which hardly constitutes a waste of space.
Keep Adelaide Weird

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#334 Post by pushbutton » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:28 pm

Maybe. I'm looking forward to it opening as I've said before, and I'm very excited about the spacebowl. I just see the potential was there for it to have been 10 times as good, if they'd just thought about what's in the best interests of the majority of South Australians, rather than just elite sporting people. If they had used the land where the medical centre is being built too, it could have also had a wonderful outdoor pool component.

Still though, too late now and at least we're getting a space bowl and another waterslide, so that's certainly something.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#335 Post by SRW » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:25 pm

pushbutton wrote:Maybe. I'm looking forward to it opening as I've said before, and I'm very excited about the spacebowl. I just see the potential was there for it to have been 10 times as good, if they'd just thought about what's in the best interests of the majority of South Australians, rather than just elite sporting people. If they had used the land where the medical centre is being built too, it could have also had a wonderful outdoor pool component.

Still though, too late now and at least we're getting a space bowl and another waterslide, so that's certainly something.
It's hardly as though this is an example of the government luxuriating sporting clubs with exclusive facilities (it's too busy doing that with cricket and football at Adelaide Oval). They're actually providing an array of open aquatic sports (swimming, diving, polo etc) with the competition standard venue that this state has been without for more than a decade -- in effect, playing catchup. What's more, they've been generous enough to provide additional leisure facilities even though money's tight and such things are provided elsewhere. But you still reckon they should have done more, even at the cost of a medical centre? Have a sense of priority.
Keep Adelaide Weird

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#336 Post by pushbutton » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:40 am

Personally I think leisure facilities the majority of the population can enjoy should be a higher priority than sporting facilities likely to be most useful only to a very small minority of the population.

I'm also sure that if the government managed our money better we have plenty of money for medical centres AND leisure facilities, although it shouldn't be the government providing the leisure facilities.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#337 Post by ghs » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:21 am

I've seen those spacebowls on Youtube and they're nothing special...

Xaragmata

#338 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:54 am

Some pics from Monday, including GP Plus:

http://xaragmata.cable.nu/album/adelaid ... _1944.html

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#339 Post by pushbutton » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:11 am

ghs wrote:I've seen those spacebowls on Youtube and they're nothing special...
For Adelaide they are LOL!!!!!!

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#340 Post by iTouch » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:39 am

I have a feeling they'll be upgrading things such as the spacebowl and even adding things such as the flowrider for Adelaide in the not too distant future... its just a hunch :)
/cough http://www.flowhouse.com.au/
/and cough http://www.southozflowboarders.com/history.htm
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#341 Post by pushbutton » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Sounds like an interesting idea, but I'd still much prefer a wave pool and / or a lazy river (cough, cough)!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#342 Post by monotonehell » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:16 pm

pushbutton wrote:Sounds like an interesting idea, but I'd still much prefer a wave pool and / or a lazy river (cough, cough)!
Sounds like you want a Disney style water park not a sports oriented competition centre? This place was sold on the point that it wasn't competition for the existing North Adelaide complex, but it's slowly morphed into Wally's Water World.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

The Scooter Guy

#343 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:21 pm

monotonehell wrote:
pushbutton wrote:Sounds like an interesting idea, but I'd still much prefer a wave pool and / or a lazy river (cough, cough)!
Sounds like you want a Disney style water park not a sports oriented competition centre? This place was sold on the point that it wasn't competition for the existing North Adelaide complex, but it's slowly morphed into Wally's Water World.
Or Wet 'N' Wild style...
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#344 Post by crawf » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:35 pm

There is a detailed floor map of the swimming complex and average artist impressions of the leisure section in the latest issue of New Connections
http://dtei.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf ... 2010_s.pdf

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#345 Post by pushbutton » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:19 pm

Thanks for the link. Yes it's not quite Wet n Wild, and some of its potential has probably been wasted, but it still looks pretty good and I'm looking forward to trying it out as soon as it opens!