News & Developments: Mawson Lakes

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Mawson Lakes - Not just another suburb

#346 Post by monotonehell » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:17 am

pushbutton wrote:I'm so glad that the toilet connections have those signs on. The number of times I help myself to a quick glass of toilet water on a hot day I'd get very ill in Mawson Lakes if it weren't for those helpful warning signs.
I think you'll find they are for dogs.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#347 Post by bm7500 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:30 am

monotonehell wrote:
pushbutton wrote:I'm so glad that the toilet connections have those signs on. The number of times I help myself to a quick glass of toilet water on a hot day I'd get very ill in Mawson Lakes if it weren't for those helpful warning signs.
I think you'll find they are for dogs.
But how do dogs read the signs??? :wink:

As a resident of ML, I can tell you that the recycled water initiative is a great idea. All homes have their outdoor taps and toilets plumbed to the recycled water system and the remainder of the house to normal mains water. As such, there are 2 water meters for each property and you receive 2 separate water bills (only 1 supply charge though). The recycled water cost is roughly 75% of mains water.

Before the system was first charged (turned on) in 2005 from memory, both pipe systems in your house carried normal mains water. When the system was charged, SA Water carried out an inspection of each property to ensure that the correct water supply was going to the correct taps etc. This is re-inspected every 5 years. Initially some residents complained that they didn’t want recycled water connected (in the time before water restrictions) and as such, SA Water gave them the option to disconnect the recycled water from their property. Although i believe many saw the merit in the system. Therefore if you are looking to buy in ML, ensure that the recycled water option is available for your property.

Whilst ML residents with recycled water are exempt from the 'stage' water restrictions we are not exempt from the permanent restrictions covering things like hosing down driveways etc. Whilst the quality of the water is clear and generally good, the only issue i have found with the system is that there is some sediment that ends up in your irrigation lines and accumulates in your toilet cistern. To avert this, i have installed taps at the lowest parts of the irrigation runs so that the lines can be flushed out. And i use bleach toilet blocks to help keep the cistern clean and the toilet bowl free from water line marks.

Overall its a great system and given the option in other suburbs, i would thoroughly recommend it.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#348 Post by Omicron » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:14 pm

On a side note, we have a rainwater tank at home, and aside from a metal grille over the downpipe, it's not filtered or cleaned in any way. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the treated water from the Mawson Lakes purple taps is far cleaner than the water from our tank (assuming the extent of (literally) crap in the rainwater), yet not once have I fallen ill or felt even remotely off as a result of drinking it. Not that I'm advocating everyone start filling their glasses from the toilet, but a little bit of clarity in regards to treated water versus that which simply falls from the sky onto old roofs and through leaves, insects and whatnot is probably in order.

contractor
High Rise Poster!

#349 Post by contractor » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:24 pm

skyliner wrote:
Wayno wrote:While i like the increased density (via height) at Mawson Lakes, i see all these buildings as near-clones, differentiated by a set of fins and/or splashes of bright colour scattered here and there. Sure you need a theme across the suburb, but there's still something missing. Maybe it's because the majority of the buidlings appear as simple cubes with windows, or maybe it's the width of the streets that cancels out the effect of increased height. Maybe it's because the renders look so cheap (as to whether they end up looking cheap in real life is another matter).

Is it just me - or do others feel the same? Sorry for not being able to exactly put my finger on it.
Sorry to get into this discussion so late - I think I know what you are getting at Wayno - take a look at Sydney's inner suburbs around Randwick. Nearly all 4 floors (due to lift expenses if higher) and almost identical. It gives slum potential seeing they are also so close. I accept also that many outer suburbs are very much like this only one floor - probably a function of big developments by one compan as well as 'affordability' seeing i am into architecture, aesthetics and variety, I baulk at this.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
They look similar because half of them have been designed by Vartzokas Architects.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#350 Post by jk1237 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:30 pm

I dont have issues with the sameness. The surrounding suburbs of Pooraka, Ingle Farm and Para Hills done in the 70s and 80s, have thousands of same awful boxes with dead lawns on a qtr acre block, one after another after another, done by the same developer. Infact half of Adelaide has this sameness low density, car dependant sprawl. If you are caught walking or riding a bike in the middle to outer suburbs, you are a simply a loony. Mawson Lakes appears to be a bit different in this case

Xaragmata

#351 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:44 am

Some recent pics:

Icon Apartments site in Light Common

Quest serviced apartments in Metro Parade

Metropolis in Metro Parade

Metro Apartments in Metro Parade

New interchange car park

Metro Parade and Euston Walk

Mawson Central West

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#352 Post by SRW » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:49 pm

Thanks very much for those photos, Xara.

I recently took the time to have a look up at Mawson Lakes for the first time in a long while (a couple years, perhaps), and was extremely impressed at the number of mid-rise apartments. Certainly, not much to praise in respect of architecture, but it's surely a step in the right direction for suburban development in Adelaide. What impressed me most was the number of commercial tenancies at ground level -- I imagine that this will make for a highly walk-able, active suburb as the development marches on. More of it, please.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Xaragmata

#353 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:00 pm

SRW wrote:Thanks very much for those photos, Xara.

I recently took the time to have a look up at Mawson Lakes for the first time in a long while (a couple years, perhaps), and was extremely impressed at the number of mid-rise apartments. Certainly, not much to praise in respect of architecture, but it's surely a step in the right direction for suburban development in Adelaide. What impressed me most was the number of commercial tenancies at ground level -- I imagine that this will make for a highly walk-able, active suburb as the development marches on. More of it, please.
No worries, SRW. I like the commercial tenancies - shops, cafes - one minus I see is a lack of common areas apart from car parks, which are mainly under
cover. No gardens for residents to relax or potter around in (no maintenance fees for gardener either) - needs a few pocket parks to make up for lack of
gardens perhaps.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#354 Post by AtD » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:01 am

There's supposed to be a linear park along Dry Creek. Remember, Mawson Lakes is supposed to be a low water-usage suburb. None of the watering the bitumen like they do in Golden Grove.

I'm disappointed that they're putting in a big surface car park next to the train station. That's going to ruin the whole area. It would be better, IMO, to have a multi-level car park with ground floor retail. That wouldn't create the divide between the station and the town centre.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#355 Post by bm7500 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:33 am

AtD wrote:There's supposed to be a linear park along Dry Creek. Remember, Mawson Lakes is supposed to be a low water-usage suburb. None of the watering the bitumen like they do in Golden Grove.

I'm disappointed that they're putting in a big surface car park next to the train station. That's going to ruin the whole area. It would be better, IMO, to have a multi-level car park with ground floor retail. That wouldn't create the divide between the station and the town centre.
I think that the new carpark is just a short/medium term solution as the land its on is too valuable. The intent has been to go multi story and this will likley be over the top of the creek and original carpark.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Aidan

#356 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:23 pm

bm7500 wrote:
AtD wrote:There's supposed to be a linear park along Dry Creek. Remember, Mawson Lakes is supposed to be a low water-usage suburb. None of the watering the bitumen like they do in Golden Grove.

I think that the new carpark is just a short/medium term solution as the land its on is too valuable. The intent has been to go multi story and this will likley be over the top of the creek and original carpark.
Bennett Creek is artificially constructed. Having gone to all that effort to make it look natural, I doubt they'd want to cover it up again with a mere car park!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#357 Post by bm7500 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:03 am

Aidan wrote:
bm7500 wrote:

Bennett Creek is artificially constructed. Having gone to all that effort to make it look natural, I doubt they'd want to cover it up again with a mere car park!
What difference does it make that its 'artificial'? It certainly wasnt created by Delfin as it was a left over from The Levels days. Its not pleasing to look at, especially when its surrounded by large ugly concrete walls. Building over part of a creek is hardly unusual, take Tea Tree Plaza for example, a natural creek runs right underneath it. And it was the Mawson Lakes project director himself that has indicated that the preferred option it to go multi story over the creek.

Aidan

#358 Post by Aidan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:32 pm

bm7500 wrote:
Aidan wrote:
bm7500 wrote: I think that the new carpark is just a short/medium term solution as the land its on is too valuable. The intent has been to go multi story and this will likley be over the top of the creek and original carpark.
What difference does it make that its 'artificial'? It certainly wasnt created by Delfin as it was a left over from The Levels days. Its not pleasing to look at, especially when its surrounded by large ugly concrete walls. Building over part of a creek is hardly unusual, take Tea Tree Plaza for example, a natural creek runs right underneath it. And it was the Mawson Lakes project director himself that has indicated that the preferred option it to go multi story over the creek.
It certainly was created by Delfin, who went to a lot of effort to make it look natural. It does not have concrete walls apart from under bridges, and it does not even take the same route as it did in The Levels days.

Are you sure the project director wanted a multi storey car park over the creek? I recall a few years ago there was a plan to put a multi storey office building there, but that's rather different.

And are you sure a natural creek runs right underneath Tea Tree Plaza? I thought it ran under the space between Tea Tree Plaza and Tea Tree Plus.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Omicron

#359 Post by Omicron » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:16 pm

In almost every instance, development covering a creek is far less desirable than development that enhances a creek.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#360 Post by fishinajar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:51 pm

Omicron wrote:In almost every instance, development covering a creek is far less desirable than development that enhances a creek.
Why do you say this Omicron? IYO? or reference?