COM: Harbourtown Stage 3 Expansion

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Big new supermarket next to Harbourtown...

#46 Post by Omicron » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:35 am

pushbutton wrote:Someone must want it, or the carpark would always be empty!
It's you, isn't it, out collecting ugly crockery sets. :wink:

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by JamesXander » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:26 am

I am interested in how they are going to build this. As the last extention was added to the Southern end, they cant do that at the Northern end as there is already a Toyworld there.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:43 pm

JamesXander wrote:I am interested in how they are going to build this. As the last extention was added to the Southern end, they cant do that at the Northern end as there is already a Toyworld there.
Seeing that the tenants who have their entrances directly onto the car park wouldn't want to be detoured around, they'll probably just continue the "mall" pathway past their doors and into the new area.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Xaragmata

#49 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:31 pm

Some floors have been poured, and steel work been erected by the toyshop. Looks like a new entrance by the toyshop, and open malls
in the same style as the existing centre. A few pics at http://xaragmata.mooo.com/album/adelaid ... index.html
Last edited by Xaragmata on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

City Girl
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#50 Post by City Girl » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:52 pm

by Burger on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:40 pm

Lewis Land is a private developer out of Queensland and they own the Centre outright. They are in partnership with someone on their Gold Cost and Perth developments (both called Harbourtown) but I can't recall who it is and they are in the middle of the big Waterfront City project in Melbourne (the big ferris wheel near Telstrea Dome is part of it).

Look 'em up at http://www.lewisland.com.auBurger
Everyone asks WHY they're putting a Woolies there? Look at Queensland Harbour Town. There is a Woolworths there, and a popular one at that. The quote above states the owner of the Adelaide store is in partnership with the Queensland store, maybe Adelaide is trying to imitate the other state's store?

I'm just worried that the quality of the Woolies will go down. As Woolies is my favourite supermarket :) i think it will be bad if everything falls apart.

As we have all worked out by now the opening of Woolworths Harbour town is timed with the closing of Woolworths Glenelg. So they're going to uproot as many staff as they can from the Glenelg store (which is short staffed as it is), and chuck them in harbour town. Then theres going to be a huge hiring spree as Woolies tries to keep both stores filled when Woolworths Glenelg re-opens. Are we going to be flooded with inexperienced staff in a store that probably will struggle to fill with customers? It would be worse putting up a supermarket that is not only unneccesary but poorly run.

Not very well organised if you ask me... But time shall tell.

Omicron

#51 Post by Omicron » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:10 pm

City Girl wrote:

Lewis Land is a private developer out of Queensland and they own the Centre outright. They are in partnership with someone on their Gold Cost and Perth developments (both called Harbourtown) but I can't recall who it is and they are in the middle of the big Waterfront City project in Melbourne (the big ferris wheel near Telstrea Dome is part of it).

I'm just worried that the quality of the Woolies will go down. As Woolies is my favourite supermarket :) i think it will be bad if everything falls apart.
Somerton Park Foodland FTW.

nevillness
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#52 Post by nevillness » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:39 pm

City Girl wrote:As we have all worked out by now the opening of Woolworths Harbour town is timed with the closing of Woolworths Glenelg. So they're going to uproot as many staff as they can from the Glenelg store (which is short staffed as it is), and chuck them in harbour town.
As someone who actually works at Woolworths Glenelg I think we are very lucky that we have a pretty much guaranteed option to transfer to a new store, which is literally 5 minutes down the road. Other staff who have faced this situation in the past have not gotten this luxury.
City Girl wrote:Then theres going to be a huge hiring spree as Woolies tries to keep both stores filled when Woolworths Glenelg re-opens.
Woolworths is on a continual hiring spree because they have such a high staff turnover. I don't think two stores (which will open more than a year apart) are going to be such a huge problem.
City Girl wrote: Are we going to be flooded with inexperienced staff in a store that probably will struggle to fill with customers? It would be worse putting up a supermarket that is not only unneccesary but poorly run.
Have you been inside a supermarket lately? Woolworths is already flooded with inexperienced staff in poorly run stores. OMG the stories I could tell!

Anyway its probably best to get back on topic :P

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#53 Post by AtD » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:50 pm

Woolworths know what they're doing, they've done this many many times before.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by pushbutton » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:56 pm

City Girl wrote:

Everyone asks WHY they're putting a Woolies there? Look at Queensland Harbour Town. There is a Woolworths there, and a popular one at that. The quote above states the owner of the Adelaide store is in partnership with the Queensland store, maybe Adelaide is trying to imitate the other state's store?

As we have all worked out by now the opening of Woolworths Harbour town is timed with the closing of Woolworths Glenelg. So they're going to uproot as many staff as they can from the Glenelg store (which is short staffed as it is), and chuck them in harbour town. Then theres going to be a huge hiring spree as Woolies tries to keep both stores filled when Woolworths Glenelg re-opens. Are we going to be flooded with inexperienced staff in a store that probably will struggle to fill with customers? It would be worse putting up a supermarket that is not only unneccesary but poorly run.

Not very well organised if you ask me... But time shall tell.
With due respect that's a bit naive. Many, many new supermarkets have opened in Adelaide in recent years and all of them have managed to find staff, and all of them get plenty of customers! Big retailers always do very detailed and careful market research and economic analysis before opening any new store, and Woolworths having done this expects the Harbourtown store to be the busiest Woolworths in the state (which judging by the num ber of people and cars always at Harbourtown every day anyway is a no-brainer!

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by pushbutton » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:10 pm

Well it didn't take them long to get that up, did it! I drove past there one morning and there was trucks lined up right back to Tapleys Hill Rd all carrying several large sheets of pre-fab concrete.

By that evening all the walls were in place!

Hardly awe-inspring design, looks like it will be a typical pre-fab concrete box, but certainly quite awe-inspiring speed of construction!

Xaragmata

#56 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:42 pm

Toyworld has moved to another shop, & hole cut in northern wall to allow new section to connect internally with existing mall at Table 8,
which is still operating.

relapse
Gold-Member ;)

#57 Post by relapse » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:20 am

The obvious advantage for Harbourtown is it will give them another avenue to attract more people to the centre. I always maintained that Harbourtown need a Big W or something along those lines, Woolworths will help though.

jlimty
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#58 Post by jlimty » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:11 am

JamesXander wrote:Its quite obvious the land is being leased to pay back the huge amounts of money borrowed to upgrade the Airport. Long term leases would have given them a stable source of revenue and probably gotten them a better interest rate with there loan ( I am just PRESUMING this by the way, I am be completely wrong)
You have got it spot on mate. I was recently in Darwin and some of the chaps from DIA were telling me that the majority of the airport's income was not from the airport itself but from leasing sections of its land to commercial businesses. I think there's a Bunning's near the airport which is on DIA's land I believe :)

City Girl
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#59 Post by City Girl » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:37 pm

Does anyone please have the location of images of the development happening at harbour town? Or even a plan?

Xaragmata

#60 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:03 pm

City Girl wrote:Does anyone please have the location of images of the development happening at harbour town? Or even a plan?
My pics are at http://xaragmata.mooo.com/album/adelaid ... index.html and you can see how the new section is
being built to the north of the existing (vacant) Toyworld. An internal connection is being built to the existing mall through Toyworld,
to connect where Table 8 now is.
Last edited by Xaragmata on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.