#VIS: Inner-City Stadium/Riverbank Precinct

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #VIS: Inner-City Stadium/Riverbank Precinct

#496 Post by jk1237 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:58 pm

who's Craig. I hope your not getting mixed up with the other team

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#497 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:00 am

jk1237 wrote:who's Craig. I hope your not getting mixed up with the other team

Haha, Freudian slip... was thinking of my mob.... WILLIAMS*

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#498 Post by Omicron » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:01 am

Official attendance was 23,694.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#499 Post by monotonehell » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:17 am

AG wrote:
City stadium bid
BRAD CROUCH, MICHAEL McGUIRE
February 17, 2008 12:15am
OPPOSITION Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith plans to host a conference of leading sports bodies to discuss plans for a new inner-city sports stadium.

After a series of one-on-one discussions during the week following the release of his Master Plan for Adelaide, Mr Hamilton-Smith has invited the leaders of football, cricket, soccer, rugby and other organisations to the meeting.
"I'm encouraged by the initial response," he said. "Leigh Whicker of the SANFL and Ian McLachlan of the SACA are two people who have made great steps forward for football and cricket.

"I'm looking forward to them sitting with representatives of international rugby, soccer and other sporting organisations."

Despite the State Government's negative response to the stadium idea, ministers also will be invited.

The AFL is also expected to be invited to the conference...
I forget, did this conference ever go ahead?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#500 Post by crawf » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:04 am

Where the hell is the money spose to come from to build a new city stadium?

Yes it would be great, but seriously at the moment there more important things to focus on - such as replacing Yatala, major hospital upgrades, public transport overhaul, road upgrades etc..

Once we get those things under control, then we can start looking at building one.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#501 Post by AG » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:29 am

crawf wrote:Where the hell is the money spose to come from to build a new city stadium?

Yes it would be great, but seriously at the moment there more important things to focus on - such as replacing Yatala, major hospital upgrades, public transport overhaul, road upgrades etc..

Once we get those things under control, then we can start looking at building one.
Public Private Partnerships?

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#502 Post by Brando » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:11 am

crawf wrote:Where the hell is the money spose to come from to build a new city stadium?

Crawf, as mentioned by someone above we are not saying build it now. I would love for the government to announce a long term plan for sporting in this state with a site to be built in the city. Why can't they aim for a 5 year budget plan of $100 million in each of those years with initial consultation and planning to commence during that time. Add an addition 2 years during construction, which another $200 million could be put aside, the sale of AAMI land, any contributions from the SANFL, AFL and PPP there is no reason why we can't do it.
Spending money on AAMI for a temporary fix up is not 'long term' vision for the state, just another typical Adelaide way of going about things.

We always miss the target.

I won't even start again on building the 'Marj' next to this potential site...

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#503 Post by Cruise » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:02 pm

ok then, potential extra 5000 people are going to come out of no where to watch the game if it is in the city, lets say tickets will cost $30 each thats an extra $150000 per game, 11 games in year (thats port games, crows already get good crowds so i'm leaving them out) so thats an extra $1650000 a year hell, lets just double that for fun.($3 300 000)

$1billion cost to build the new stadium... you work the rest out.

You guys are financial geniuses!!!!

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#504 Post by Just build it » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:23 pm

Congratulations on spending 30 seconds punching random numbers into your calculator watch and converting it to text. Mighty effort financial genius. :lol:

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#505 Post by Cruise » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:31 pm

So then, explain to how it is financially viable then to build a new stadium JB.

if you can't explain to me that, stop with the arguement "ZOMG!1!! it would be sooo kool to has a werld klass stadum!!!"

Mants
Legendary Member!

#506 Post by Mants » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:01 pm

i would use Telstra Dome and the MCG in Melbourne than i would use AAMI. that's saying something! i just cant be bothered making the way down to West Lakes.

i'm the sort of person who enjoys pre/post event entertainment as well. unfortunately AAMI doesnt offer much of this because of the nature of the area: suburbia.

i've attended concerts in two of melbourne's inner city stadiums (TD and Rod Laver arena) and they just shit all over AAMI. please stop spending money on this shocking piece of infrastructure.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#507 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:33 pm

Cruise wrote:So then, explain to how it is financially viable then to build a new stadium JB.

if you can't explain to me that, stop with the arguement "ZOMG!1!! it would be sooo kool to has a werld klass stadum!!!"

I would like to know, are you supporting AAMI, are you denouncing a city stadium??? What is your opinion, you don't appear to have anything to say but to knock possibilities of a city stadium.

I'm not asking for a stadium tomorrow, a year from now, or even 5 years... but I would like to see a govt with vision who recognise that AAMI is short term and to plan for the future. I would start going back to AAMI if I knew the end was in sight, but alas, for SA, it's not.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#508 Post by Cruise » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:27 am

I am supporting AAMI, Its owned by Football, and it makes money for Football

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#509 Post by adam73837 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:11 am

Cruise wrote:I am supporting AAMI, Its owned by Football, and it makes money for Football
Quite frankly, wherever the SANFL have their stadium they will make money -end of story.
If they are to have their stadium in the city, not only will they continue to make money, but so will all the businesses in the city. You can't base our city upon a Myer Centre, David Jones, etc. you've got to have someothing to actually draw people there and once they're there for the match, they'll go straight into the city, business is booming, the city's a great place to be in and everybody's happy. Instead, we've only got the 'die-hards' going like sheep up to that piece of crap that we have in the middle of no where and they then enter a traffic gridlock for about an hour before they finally get to go home because they've called up their mates and said "Look mate, I'm too tired, town's too far away, I just want to go home, let's all get together some other time".
And of course the SANFL isn't oblivious to this, but they just sit their in their little cave, not wanting to see the rest of the world.
And don't anyone start that 'hospital argument' again, because the stadium shouldn't even be considered in the same category as the hospital. The hospital should be rebuilt at the current site, built at Keswick, built near Santos Stadium or on a piece of deserted parklands (and believe me, that isn't hard to find!) People want to go to a hospital and get out of there! It isn't a resort for goodness sake!!!
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#510 Post by Paulns » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:05 pm

Cruise wrote:ok then, potential extra 5000 people are going to come out of no where to watch the game if it is in the city, lets say tickets will cost $30 each thats an extra $150000 per game, 11 games in year (thats port games, crows already get good crowds so i'm leaving them out) so thats an extra $1650000 a year hell, lets just double that for fun.($3 300 000)

$1billion cost to build the new stadium... you work the rest out.

You guys are financial geniuses!!!!
Can I be the one to ask the most obvious question here... Where the Hell are certain people pulling this 1 billion dollar stupid figure from?????????????

If they can build this Birds nest stadium for the Beijing Olympics for less than US$500 million with a capacity of 91,000 people, where is this stupid $1 billion figure coming from???????????????????????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_National_Stadium

As mentioned the lands already there and avaliable, public/private partnerships, sell off Dump AAMI to developers, Federal grants, so called minning boom and there you have it, $500 million dollars. The stadium itself would only need to be for around 50 - 60 thousand people so surely thats more than enough to build a brand new inner city stadium in the city???????

Also with the AFL set to expand from 16 to 18 teams there will be more rounds and games each season which means more people and more money. The A-League soccer also has long term plans to expand their competion to include more teams so surely that would mean the same for them. Hence this stadium as a home ground for both codes would get good useage throughout the year again justifying its construction.
Brando wrote:Crawf, as mentioned by someone above we are not saying build it now. I would love for the government to announce a long term plan for sporting in this state with a site to be built in the city. Why can't they aim for a 5 year budget plan of $100 million in each of those years with initial consultation and planning to commence during that time. Add an addition 2 years during construction, which another $200 million could be put aside, the sale of AAMI land, any contributions from the SANFL, AFL and PPP there is no reason why we can't do it.
Spending money on AAMI for a temporary fix up is not 'long term' vision for the state, just another typical Adelaide way of going about things.

We always miss the target.
Couldn't agree more.... :D
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".