News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Jamo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#76 Post by Jamo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:51 pm

Maximus_Marc wrote:Why did Garuda stop flights into adelaide?
I believe the terrorism issue and travel warnings to Indonesia have severly impacted upon passenger nos to both Bali and Jakarta.
Cant say the Jogyakata crash last week will help the airline any.

I guess the marginal ports such as Adelaide were the first cut as a result of such downturns.

A similar story with the airline, I think name was Air Paradise or some such name, that also died in the arse following the Bali bombings 2nd time around

bs
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Qantas axes Adelaide-Auckland flights

#77 Post by bs » Sat May 12, 2007 8:28 pm

Qantas will suspend its three times a week direct services between Adelaide and Auckland from July 23 this year.
The decision is in response to sluggish market demand, Qantas' South Australian regional general manager Terry Simpson said.
Qantas launched the Auckland-Adelaide service in December 2004 but it had not delivered the results to make it viable for the airline, Mr Simpson said. source AAP
It’s a pity, as Adelaide really needs more flights.
However Air New Zealand is still flying the route, hopefully they can improve their service; it was always better than the Qantas one anyway.
unfortunately prices might go up without competition.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#78 Post by rev » Thu May 24, 2007 4:35 pm

Seven-day flights to Auckland

STUART INNES

May 24, 2007 02:15am
Article from: The Advertiser

ADELAIDE is to have more direct flights than ever to and from Auckland - despite Qantas quitting the route.

Air New Zealand, backed by strong demand for its Auckland-Adelaide service, will escalate to daily flights.

The move has been warmly welcomed by the tourism industry in South Australia - given that New Zealand is the biggest source of international travellers to Australia.

Travellers from SA also have the bonus of being able to fly to NZ on any day of the week - connecting to Air New Zealand's services to the Pacific and U.S.

Air NZ will become the second airline to provide daily international flights through Adelaide Airport, the first being Singapore Airlines.

Qantas announced this month it would withdraw from the route, ending its three Boeing 737 flights a week in each direction on July 23 as they were not economically viable.
Daily flights to Auckland.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Qantas Failing Adelaide

#79 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:47 am

Readers back 'dump Qantas' call
Article from: The Advertiser

MICHAEL HARRY and STUART INNES, TOURISM WRITER

October 24, 2007 03:00pm

ADELAIDENOW readers have lashed out at Qantas, criticising its lack of punctuality, customer service and limited number of flights offered to and from SA.

By 2.45pm today an online vote showed 70 per cent of the 512 voters felt Qantas let Adelaide down by not providing enough flights. Sixteen per cent preferred to fly with international airlines, while eight per cent chose Qantas regardless. Four per cent thought Qantas was up to scratch.

The comments follow a call from the SA Tourism Commission urging operators to switch their business from Qantas to overseas-based airlines because they better service Adelaide.

"Qantas is letting us down," SATC chief executive Andrew McEvoy told more than 100 operators at an inbound tourism conference yesterday in Adelaide.

Many AdelaideNow readers backed the call. "I'd fly Virgin over Qantas any day. Many of the Qantas staff are rude and have an attitude problem," said Fabio.

"Qantas - the Sprit of Sydney!" Rob of Adelaide wrote.

"Adelaide Airport management should do much more to entice overseas airlines to Adelaide by reducing landing fees," Goran of Eden Hills said.

"It's true, Qantas is letting us down. The company seems to have the complacent attitude that we will continue to fly with them just because they are Australia's national carrier," according to International man of Adelaide

"Ever since Ansett disappeared, the Qantas service has been deteriorating. The flying kangaroo can take a flying leap," TJ of Adelaide wrote.

"Let's face it, we aren't that big a city. If there was more demand for International tickets in Adelaide then we would get better service from Qantas," lamented Macca of Adelaide

But not all readers were anti-Qantas.

"I fly Qantas as much as possible. If you hold an Australian passport, you should fly with the national airline. You get trouble from every airline - I am happy with the knowledge that Qantas is home-grown," wrote Regular traveller of Adelaide.

Tourism Minister Jane Lomax-Smith backed the call, encouraging people to use international flights through Adelaide, not connecting via interstate airports.

Delivering what he called "a backhander" to Qantas, Mr McEvoy complained that the national carrier had only three Adelaide international flights a week - to Singapore.

"South Australia has the most underserviced airport of any capital city in Australia," he said.

Mr McEvoy told The Advertiser: "We are under-represented by our national carrier.

"I am saying to the tourism operators they should consider the best ways of getting their customers to SA.

"The carriers that come here on a daily basis should be supported." Mr McEvoy named Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific, which each fly daily through Adelaide, Air New Zealand, which plans daily services by February and Malaysia Airlines, which will have five flights a week this summer.

He told the inbound tourism operators those airlines deserved their support because they gave travellers the chance to start or end their Australian holidays in Adelaide.

Mr McEvoy said Adelaide Airport had 26 international flights a week compared with Perth, which had 80 and Brisbane on more than 100.

Tourism Australia's manager of trade development, Matt Cameron-Smith, also told the ATEC symposium of the need for direct international flights.

"Getting more direct services into Adelaide is a critical factor," he said.

Chairman of the SA branch of ATEC, Regina Twiss, agreed with Mr McEvoy.

Ms Twiss runs the North Adelaide Heritage Group accommodation, where more than 60 per cent of guests are from overseas.

She said the four overseas-based airlines deserved operators' support. It was convenient for travellers to come to or fly out of Adelaide because they could do so any day of the week.

"I'd encourage Qantas to step up to the plate," she said.

Qantas regional manager for SA, Terry Simpson, acknowledged the airline had no plans to increase from its three international flights a week to Adelaide but said Qantas was "a significant contributor to the SA economy".

The group employed 670 staff across Qantas and Jetstar in Adelaide and had served SA for decades.

Qantas and Jetstar had 550 domestic flights into and out of Adelaide each week and offered good connections with international flights in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. Tourism Minister Jane Lomax-Smith said the number of international flights to Adelaide had doubled since 2003.

She, too, encouraged supporting such flights instead of connecting through interstate airports.

"International flights need bookings in both directions and locals should support direct Adelaide flights because we need to use them, otherwise we might lose them," Dr Lomax-Smith said.

Mr McEvoy also told the ATEC symposium SA should not merely accept what it could get in tourism arrivals and it was time to be more aggressive and competitive in its marketing - to give tourists compelling reasons why they should visit SA.

The national chairman of ATEC, John King, said inbound tourism brought $22 billion of new money a year to Australia, making it the second most important export industry after coal.

------------
I agree with this and I think many people will. Qantas is doing shit all for Adelaide when it comes to international flights. While Air New Zealand, Singapore, Cathay Pacific and Maylaysia Airlines are doing wonders for the SA tourism market thanks to increased flights.

Time to clean up your act Qantas, because there is a demand in SA

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

Re: Qantas Failing Adelaide

#80 Post by Düsseldorfer » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:45 am

I wonder if Qantas will ever fly from Adelaide-Singapore, whenever i fly to europe it is always with Singapore Airlines. Hopefully one day it will be possible to fly Adelaide direct to Frankfurt/Charles de Gaulle International with Qantas, i hate the pit stop in Singapore :evil:.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#81 Post by rogue » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:05 pm

Düsseldorfer wrote:I wonder if Qantas will ever fly from Adelaide-Singapore, whenever i fly to europe it is always with Singapore Airlines.
Qantas flies Adelaide to Singapore 3 times a week. I wouldn't be complaining about Singapore Airlines. They are up there with the best. Personally, I would never fly Qantas international.
Düsseldorfer wrote:Hopefully one day it will be possible to fly Adelaide direct to Frankfurt/Charles de Gaulle International with Qantas, i hate the pit stop in Singapore :evil:.
Do you know of such a plane with the fuel capacity?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#82 Post by Norman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:09 pm

The Boeing 787 maybe...

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#83 Post by ozisnowman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:23 pm

"Let's face it, we aren't that big a city. If there was more demand for International tickets in Adelaide then we would get better service from Qantas," lamented Macca of Adelaide

Well Macca there is a demand but lack of options... So many international travellers from overseas and locals going overseas are forced to travel through Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Brisbane etc. It happend to me on a past trip to Europe but last time i booked well in advance tickets with Singapore Airlines which flew directly from Adelaide and returned directly to Adelaide.
People need to book these flights in droves and avoid the pathetic options provided by Qantas because it boosts jobs, tourism and other opportunities in Adelaide not somewhere else. You think QANTAS cares about the Adelaide Public they just care about profits, hence forcing Adelaide not to mention other travellers to go via their Sydney Hub as that is where they have most of their maintenance and most of their International Flights leaving from. How ironic is it that Sydney Airport is overstretched and their is talk of a second airport. Well not everyone wants to go to Sydney but a lot are force to transfer through Sydney...

I would like to find out stats showing how many LOCAL and OVERSEAS international travellers passing through Sydney are going to Sydney and how many are actually forced to transit through Sydney. Would be interesting.

tstaylor
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#84 Post by tstaylor » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:31 pm

rogue wrote:
Düsseldorfer wrote:Hopefully one day it will be possible to fly Adelaide direct to Frankfurt/Charles de Gaulle International with Qantas, i hate the pit stop in Singapore :evil:.
Do you know of such a plane with the fuel capacity?

Correct me if I am wrong but couldn't that be done on a new Boeing 747-400ER?

Earlier this year I was going to be flying direct to Vancouver from Sydney on Boeing 747-400ER, but that flight was apparently canceled to too many empty seats

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#85 Post by rogue » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:03 pm

Stats for those interested.

Distance
Adelaide to Paris - 16014km
Adelaide to London - 16102km
Adelaide to Frankfurt - 15541km

Maximum Aircraft Range
Boeing 747-400ER - 14205km
Boeing 747-8 - 14815km
Boeing 787-9 - 15750km
Boeing 777-200LR - 17500km (Perth - London Non-Stop. Thats nuts!)
Airbus A350-800 XWB - 15400km
Airbus A380 - 15200km (First commercial flight today. Giddy up!!! :D )

aceman
High Rise Poster!

Tiger Airlines

#86 Post by aceman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:44 am

Hi guys, Is Tiger gonna be using the new terminal as there was talk that they would be using the old domestic terminal coz it would be cheaper for them to operate from there?

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Tiger Airlines

#87 Post by sam » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:56 am

My understanding is our new Terminal, gate 12 to be precise :)

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

Re: Tiger Airlines

#88 Post by Splashmo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:40 am

They might use the old terminal when they start to expand flights to other destinations.

Lisa-Adam
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Adelaide Airport No. 1 in nation

#89 Post by Lisa-Adam » Fri May 02, 2008 4:37 pm

Well done Adelaide.
The new airport is a long overdue improvement to a beautiful city.
Billionaire Gary Winnick generates success from fiber optics business.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

Re: Adelaide Airport No. 1 in nation

#90 Post by aussie2000 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:17 pm

wow i cant believe its already 2 years old!!! still looks amazing :)