SA Economy

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
zippySA
High Rise Poster!

Re: SA Economy

#76 Post by zippySA » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:17 am

Dog,
You are reciting straight out of the political scare campaign log book. No Government is going to seek to harm deliberately any State economy - they may adopt different approaches to how best to allocate available funds - but fundamentally, this is why people need to focus more on their local MP's and less on the growing presidential style of politics that has emerged in Australia over last few decades.

A strong majority Government, with strong SA MP's involved, will ensure that whatever policies are implemented, our local position will be considered and addressed. The most important thing for SA is to have MP's within the ruling Government to advocate for us.

This election campaign in my view has become totally irrelevant. I was listening to the ABC Election analyst discussing where the Upper House voting sits - and it seems highly unlikely either major party will hold a majority and the Greens and Independents will be able to control the Senate. If I was silly enough to bet, I would be putting my money on us all being faced with another election not long after July 2014 as the Liberals will be blocked from passing any of their major promises and they will go for a new election to try and get control of the Upper House - that would be interesting then - and I bet they are banking on a natural improvement in the economy starting in 2014 which will happen regardless of who is in power as the world gathers momentum economically and we all start to forget the lessons of the past (again)!

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#77 Post by Aidan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:21 am

zippySA,

Although no government is going to seek to deliberately harm SA, it's quite likely that they will seek to implement policies which have a harmful effect on SA.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#78 Post by rev » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:13 am

zippySA wrote: A strong majority Government, with strong SA MP's involved, will ensure that whatever policies are implemented, our local position will be considered and addressed. The most important thing for SA is to have MP's within the ruling Government to advocate for us.
Not necessarily. We would get better representation and our case will be made stronger, but the majority of Australia live on the east coast. Unless we suddenly come up with a few million more people to become more relevant by having greater voting power, we could have an entire government cabinet made up of South Australian's and the East Coast would still trump us when it comes to relevance and who gets more funding priority.

Aidan

#79 Post by Aidan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:54 pm

rev wrote:
zippySA wrote: A strong majority Government, with strong SA MP's involved, will ensure that whatever policies are implemented, our local position will be considered and addressed. The most important thing for SA is to have MP's within the ruling Government to advocate for us.
Not necessarily. We would get better representation and our case will be made stronger, but the majority of Australia live on the east coast. Unless we suddenly come up with a few million more people to become more relevant by having greater voting power, we could have an entire government cabinet made up of South Australian's and the East Coast would still trump us when it comes to relevance and who gets more funding priority.
A strong majority government is unequivocally a bad thing - they get to do whatever they want with no proper scrutiny. And I disagree about better representation - Nick Xenophon's done more to advocate for us than anyone in the Rudd, Gillard or Howard governments.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#80 Post by dsriggs » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:32 am

Aidan wrote:And I disagree about better representation - Nick Xenophon's done more to advocate for us than anyone in the Rudd, Gillard or Howard governments.
Exactly. Vote for a major party in the Senate and they WILL tow the party line eventually.

rhino

#81 Post by rhino » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:17 am

dsriggs wrote:
Aidan wrote:And I disagree about better representation - Nick Xenophon's done more to advocate for us than anyone in the Rudd, Gillard or Howard governments.
Exactly. Vote for a major party in the Senate and they WILL tow the party line eventually.
No they won't. They will Toe the party line.

http://grammartips.homestead.com/toetheline.html
cheers,
Rhino

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#82 Post by monotonehell » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:33 am

rhino wrote:
dsriggs wrote:Exactly. Vote for a major party in the Senate and they WILL tow the party line eventually.
:cheers:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#83 Post by Vee » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:39 pm

Kudos to South Australia as a leading light in the use of renewable energy - vital as the world moves towards low carbon (emission) targets.

South Australia heads to 50% renewables within a decade
By Giles Parkinson
Renew Economy
Already, one in five houses in South Australia has rooftop solar PV, and a new AEMO document predicts this could treble by 2022. With wind already supplying 27% of power, and new wind farms coming on, the state will likely have 50% of wind and solar within 10 years.

The state of South Australia is emerging as one the leading regions in the world in the take-up of variable renewable energy sources such as wind energy and rooftop solar PV, and could be the first industrial economy to reach 50 per cent variable renewable generation.

According to figures included in a report by the Australian Energy Market Operator, that could happen well within a decade. That would make it the most advanced industrialised economy in the world in the adoption of variable renewables.
More (including charts)
http://reneweconomy.com.au/2013/south-a ... cade-21296

Concluding paragraph.
This new demand dynamic is also changing the nature of the grid operations, AEMO notes. Baseload generators are used less often and wind and solar and reduced demand have their impact on the generation mix. The Playford B coal fired power station was not switched on at all, the Northern coal fired power station is now used less than half the time, and most gas generators, apart from one or two “intermediate” leakers, have also recorded lower capacity factors.
Report:
http://reneweconomy.com.au/2013/south-a ... cade-21296

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#84 Post by dsriggs » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:46 am

rhino wrote:
dsriggs wrote:

:oops:

...point still stands, though.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#85 Post by Will » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Some good news from a SA based company.

From the Advertiser:
Experts needed to develop new oil and gas prospects

This story was published: 3 days ago August 02, 2014 9:35PM

ADELAIDE oil and gas producer Beach Energy will employ 70 new staff to cope with rapid growth at the Glenside-based company.

It will add to 50 new staff the company has put on in the past year, bringing employee numbers to more than 200.

Beach is after technical staff such as geologists and geophysicists who are needed to find and develop oil and gas fields, as well as head office staff to support them.

Managing director Reg Nelson said the company had more than doubled in size in the past five years and the new staff were needed to support the next phase of growth.

“It’s a whole spectrum of job opportunities that we’re looking at, including offshore activities and in the field,’’ Mr Nelson said.

Beach has grown its oil and gas production tenfold in the past decade, and is now looking at how it tackles new, potentially oil-rich areas in the Cooper Basin in the state’s far north, and oil and gas deposits deeper underground, and harder to extract than traditional oil and gas.

As such, the company was as much a research and development company as an oil producer.

“The ugly truth is you can’t just poke a hole down anywhere and get oil,’’ Mr Nelson said.

“It’s a very, very scientific process, from understanding the rocks, understanding the geology, working out with advances in modern technology what’s beneath the subsurface to try to home in on a target to drill.

“We’re opening up new exploration ground ... we think there’s a lot more opportunities in the Cooper.

“This is a great opportunity for skilled, former South Australians working interstate to come

home.’’

Mr Nelson also said students should consider the resources sector as a career path.

“I would encourage all young people who are interested in science to explore the opportunities that the oil and gas sector provides for employment,” Mr Nelson said.

“That’s why last year we partnered with the State Government to co-fund reintroducing geology into senior high school studies through the Thebarton Senior Campus.’’

Beach has had a stellar year, announcing last week it had generated more than $1 billion in revenues for the first time in the past financial year.

The company is now Australia’s largest onshore oil producer, and pays the most royalties to the State Government of any resources company — even contributing more than the Olympic Dam mining operation.

A decade ago the company was producing the equivalent just under one million barrels of oil per year, compared with 9.6 million now.

The recruitment campaign will start later this month, with positions advertised nationally over the coming months

Waewick

#86 Post by Waewick » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:39 am

Unimpressed about the zoos decision.

Mainly shunning a local business than anything.

The zoo can pass on the cost of icecream and SA jobs should have been considered in what is now a quasi government entity.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#87 Post by pushbutton » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:35 pm

To be honest I would never be tempted by Golden North ice cream. It's just a dated and boring brand.

A new marketing theme, and especially a new logo, are definitely needed.

rhino

#88 Post by rhino » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:54 pm

pushbutton wrote:To be honest I would never be tempted by Golden North ice cream. It's just a dated and boring brand.

Seriously? Golden North Ice Cream is delicious! You wouldn't be tempted because the brand is dated and boring? What is that? The brand is not exciting enough? Sounds pretty shallow to me.
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#89 Post by Waewick » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:17 pm

rhino wrote:
pushbutton wrote:To be honest I would never be tempted by Golden North ice cream. It's just a dated and boring brand.

Seriously? Golden North Ice Cream is delicious! You wouldn't be tempted because the brand is dated and boring? What is that? The brand is not exciting enough? Sounds pretty shallow to me.
each to there own I guess.

Just goes to show what brand power there is.

ive never been phased by what people think of me so I guess it doesn't worry me. But many people do so I guess that kind of attitude wouldn't be isolated

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#90 Post by pushbutton » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:14 am

The point is that brand perception does play a huge part in what people think of companies. That's why most successful companies put the time and money into development of brands.

It's why I shop at Coles, for example, when there's a Woolworths right next to it, selling mostly the same goods at the same prices.

I'm just not tempted by Golden North. It looks too ordinary.