News & Discussion: Planning Issues & Challenges

All other development discussion.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Article: Kennett calls for Adelaide vision

#121 Post by Wayno » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:32 am

this is good. We are definitely getting more serious attention from the eastern states. I'm in sydney at the moment and people truly want to enter into discussion about Adelaide and its prospects. Sure beats the derogatory comments and lack of interest compared to only 1-2 years ago. I was at a dinner party friday night (a dozen business people) and a young-ish sydney couple told me they recently spent a couple of hours on the internet browsing realestate.com and google earth to better understand our great city. They intend to fly down to Adelaide to investigate more - and are considering moving, or at least investing.

The snowball just got a little bigger....
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#122 Post by jk1237 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:51 am

SRW wrote: If Melbourne's an example to go by, you have to spend money to make money.
Exactly, look at our state's measily spending on infrastructure, and see the results on our rail system.
Good article. Government debt is not bad, so I wish our govt would spend some money on our state and install a bit more confidence in us

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#123 Post by Paulns » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:53 am

Totally agree, this was a very well written article....
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#124 Post by SRW » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:20 am

jk1237 wrote:
SRW wrote: If Melbourne's an example to go by, you have to spend money to make money.
Exactly, look at our state's measily spending on infrastructure, and see the results on our rail system.
Good article. Government debt is not bad, so I wish our govt would spend some money on our state and install a bit more confidence in us
Yes, the Government is still far too cautious when it comes to borrowing. Spending on infrastructure which improves the city's fundamental functionality and identity like public transport and civic amenities (Victoria Square, etc) is not frivolous, it's an investment in the future. Hell, in Adelaide's case, it's survivalist!

The public confidence which results from public works can not be understated either. Again, just look at Melbourne!
Keep Adelaide Weird

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#125 Post by AG » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:17 pm

jk1237 wrote:
We need to look at what is spent on infrastructure as an investment rather than a cost. Too often people are quicker to jump at what the costs of delivering infrastructure projects will be rather than the potential benefits it will bring. In SA's case, there are many pieces of infrastructure that could potential bring economic and social benefits that are many times the cost of delivering them. Thinking ahead now and having a bigger picture as to what infrastructure is required and delivering it ahead of when it is needed will prevent us from falling into the situation being faced right up and down the east coast with infrastructure bottlenecks.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#126 Post by cruel_world00 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:24 pm

This is awesome, all the attention. The only problem is....the one person we NEED to pipe up is MR RANN... he's been awfully quiet on constructively commenting on these issues (ignore "Vote me for hospital, them for stadium)... we really need a leader who takes this stuff on board and gets on with it, whilst still keeping us in the loop!

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#127 Post by AG » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:27 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:This is awesome, all the attention. The only problem is....the one person we NEED to pipe up is MR RANN... he's been awfully quiet on constructively commenting on these issues (ignore "Vote me for hospital, them for stadium)... we really need a leader who takes this stuff on board and gets on with it, whilst still keeping us in the loop!
I think SA has reached a point where we can't entirely depend on the government to do everything to point the state in the right direction. There needs to be a combined effort and will from both the Government and the private sector to push SA forward rather than pure reliance on the government to do everything.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#128 Post by cruel_world00 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:40 pm

AG wrote:
cruel_world00 wrote:This is awesome, all the attention. The only problem is....the one person we NEED to pipe up is MR RANN... he's been awfully quiet on constructively commenting on these issues (ignore "Vote me for hospital, them for stadium)... we really need a leader who takes this stuff on board and gets on with it, whilst still keeping us in the loop!
I think SA has reached a point where we can't entirely depend on the government to do everything to point the state in the right direction. There needs to be a combined effort and will from both the Government and the private sector to push SA forward rather than pure reliance on the government to do everything.

This is also true, but at the end of the day, the government tends to be a large factor, and as of yet, we haven't really heard anything constructive coming from either parties.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#129 Post by Will » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:45 pm

Although what I am about to write is rather idealist, I just wish both Mr. Rann and Mr. Hamilton-Smith would put aside their childish squabbles, and sit down together over a few beers to forge a bipartisan vision to secure our vision for the future. The future is very bright for SA, and as such it cannot be hijacked by petty politics. Progress should not be a political issue, but rather something that is above politics.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#130 Post by cruel_world00 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:54 pm

Will wrote:Although what I am about to write is rather idealist, I just wish both Mr. Rann and Mr. Hamilton-Smith would put aside their childish squabbles, and sit down together over a few beers to forge a bipartisan vision to secure our vision for the future. The future is very bright for SA, and as such it cannot be hijacked by petty politics. Progress should not be a political issue, but rather something that is above politics.

I think you're definitely right... and I don't think it is beyond realistic to want this to occur. It just depends on if Rann and MHS can be "bigger" than their egos.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#131 Post by ynotsfables » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:28 pm

This is a most inspiring article. i take my hat off to Jeff Kennett under his government he too was burdened by a financial institution collapse as was WA inc in Perth and the State bank here. Both Perth and Melboure restored confidence quicker than Adelaide.

Now is the time to act.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#132 Post by mattblack » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:36 pm

Somebody hire this man as a consultant !!

Although I am not a liberal voter I have said that SA needs a man like Kennett to come in with a 'Just do it!' attitude. Adelaide needs an identity that people can easily identify with.

Our parklands is a blank canvas ripe for creative minds to do thier work (could be, one day, maybe). Adelaide 'City of light' is another opportunity with the success of the northern lights and the imenent arrival of the rundle convergence, this theme can easily be expanded in relatively inexpensive manner that will not cost billions.

I still hear people say Adelaide hasnt got much to offer. This is changing, but Id rather hear them say "oh yeh, you guys are surrounded by those awsome parks and that light theme is the CBD is bloody fantastic!"

We are spending big on infrastucture (Northern expessway, South Rd, Desal and a hospital) which beats the whole lotta nothing that was happening as I was growing up but the CBD needs inspiration, imagination and comitment.

Now is the time to start involving peeople who know how to get things done !!

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#133 Post by cruel_world00 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:47 pm

mattblack wrote:
Our parklands is a blank canvas ripe for creative minds to do thier work (could be, one day, maybe). Adelaide 'City of light' is another opportunity with the success of the northern lights and the imenent arrival of the rundle convergence, this theme can easily be expanded in relatively inexpensive manner that will not cost billions.

I still hear people say Adelaide hasnt got much to offer. This is changing, but Id rather hear them say "oh yeh, you guys are surrounded by those awsome parks and that light theme is the CBD is bloody fantastic!"

But what would we do during Earth Hour? :P

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#134 Post by mattblack » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:54 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:
mattblack wrote:

But what would we do during Earth Hour? :P

Sit there with bee wax candles and pretend it looks really cool !! :D

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#135 Post by Brando » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:25 pm

mattblack wrote:
That comment got me thinking. How great would it be if every terrace surrounding our CBD had lighting in it's main thouroughfare's into the CBD at night, eg; West Tce had green lighting in the trees, East tce purple lighting, North Tce classic fairy lights, South Tce blue lighting......

Maybe alternate throughout the year and mix things up a little. Create those dead zones at night.

Remember: BIG CITY, BRIGHT LIGHTS....